APOLLO's GRAND DAYS OUT

• RMweb Gold

Andy This may also be of use to you

D1510 was allocated to 41A from 25/11/1967 to 27/9/1969

http://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&id=1510&type=D&loco=1510

Brit15

!500 to 1519 were "ordinary" ER Brush 4's at Immingham and Tinsley until sent via Crewe works in the late 60's to become "generators"

1510 seems to undergoing the transformation to emerge in blue livery ready for the ECML.

Mike.

• Like 2

Andy This may also be of use to you

D1510 was allocated to 41A from 25/11/1967 to 27/9/1969

http://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&id=1510&type=D&loco=1510

Brit15

Thanks for that, I had the same info from Class47.co.uk.

Also, I think DavidF of his parish has posted it in his thread in pre ETH guise.

Edit: must be mistaken, can't find it :senile:

Edit 2: that's cos it's on his Flickr site here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davidwf2009/5669358543/sizes/l

Edited by leopardml2341

!500 to 1519 were "ordinary" ER Brush 4's at Immingham and Tinsley until sent via Crewe works in the late 60's to become "generators"

1510 seems to undergoing the transformation to emerge in blue livery ready for the ECML.

Mike.

Looks like the ETH socket has already been fitted in the pic :yes:

I've spent this windy and rainy afternoon uploading all my B&W neg scans (and some colour slides), along with my photo album collections to my flickr site - quite a big job & nearly done. Link is below.

I await the next storm to start on my 80's colour stuff !!

Brit15

Excellent stuff, Apollo.

How did you manage to get into Fort Knox - Bank Hall shed?

In case you don't know, the Stanier Crab at Westwood is 2948: square-topped cylinders, cinder glass and the position of the OHW plate makes it the only possibility.

• Like 1

My brother (I think) took the Bank Hall and Kirkdale / Liverpool photos - he worked on the railway back then in the civil engineers dept. I have only a few of his photo prints. A shed I never got to. I got thrown out of Edge Hill, though Speke Junction & Birkenhead were easy, as were all the Manchester steam sheds back then. As you can guess Springs Branch was my second home, living just over 1 mile away, dog walk destination (yes the dog went round 8F one Sunday !!).

There is another Stainer crab shot, 42958 in the various photo scans 1, taken by my dad.

Happy days, Brit15

• Like 1

Excellent stuff, Apollo.

How did you manage to get into Fort Knox - Bank Hall shed?

We went round in 1966 too, on a club trip, no permits, but a lad on the trip who worked on the railways got us permission.

It was a shed I'd wanted to do, for the rare (to us) Jubilees and Pugs.

There were neither by that time.........

We went round in 1966 too, on a club trip, no permits, but a lad on the trip who worked on the railways got us permission.

It was a shed I'd wanted to do, for the rare (to us) Jubilees and Pugs.

There were neither by that time.........

Pity about the Jubilees - there were three there in January that year, including the last two Jubilees I ever copped.

My favourite Bank Hall Jubilee was 45698 Mars.

Bank Hall Jubilees worked through to Glasgow until surprisingly late on. I was always glad to see one. 45698 was the last one I saw in Glasgow, in July 1965.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Superb Apollo, you can't ever-ever be thanked enough for recording what are to me local scenes in bygone times, and bringing all the faded memories come flooding back.  :yahoo: I especially love the Springs branch area & Bickershaw Colliery pics' and the class 50's, 76's and the Deltic '007 photo's. :D

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Apollo! I just turned over the front cover on this months Modern rail Mag' and saw this very sad pic' of Springs Branch as it is now  :swoon:  Surely as a working depot even if it's of little use these days, then the undergrowth could be looked after and cut back and kept tidy for the sake of the firms image and name! :ireful: And at least by bringing back some sort of Government youth employment/training....schemes like wot i had to do and from which i learned so much.....if not earned so much  :jester:

Nice to see it still exist but not in this way.

post-31611-0-38496900-1503394791_thumb.jpg

Edited by Owd Bob
  • Like 1

I agree Bob, I think there is some sort of training going on at Springs branch - http://www.orionrail.com/our-facilites

The trees and vegetation was cut back last year - trouble is it has grown again - with a vengeance !!

I have been to Taylors Lane bridge (shed outlet south side over WCML) a couple of times in the last year, but it's just not the same, and I'm not really a modern railway fan. I only stayed 10 minutes or so.

This is a good Springs Branch (and many other places too) site.

http://www.derbysulzers.com/springsbranch.html

Brit15

• Like 2

Thanks for the link ..brill' as usual! I spent four hours on Sun' morn' following a link off here to 'Wigan World' and all the local railway stuff on there! My old '70's & 80's spotting School mate is coming to pick me up one evening this week so we can go to the 'branch' and remember and relive our School wagging days across on Ince Moss and all the seemingly now much better days we had there...i'll take mi camera.  :)

I wish I had a Tardis Bob, Springs Branch 1965 would be on my list !!!!

Brit15

Funny how you say you are not a modern fan when i'm thinking that all that '70's stuff is all classic traction to me, steam was just before my later childhood, i do remember going up the steep ramp at Leigh station holding mi Mams hand around 1965 as a 4 year old a few times and going some were nice like Southport for the day with my old Nan lagging behind carrying all the bags full of flasks, butties and a big blanket like an old mule.  :jester:

Edited by Owd Bob
  • Like 1

Bob, I've lived next to the West Coast main line just north of Wigan for the last 24 years. It was a lot more interesting back then, a variety of diesel & electric locos, etc. Now we just get Pendolinos, Voyagers, a couple of classes of EMU's & DMU's. The most interesting trains (for me) now are the freight trains, both diesel & electric hauled though most of these are container trains.

Rampant vegetation everywhere spoils things a lot these days, as you will see when you visit the Springs Branch area. The grand vistas (!!!) over Ince Moss, the slag heaps, smelly tips, mills of sidings etc have all gone. Just trees, bushes and weeds. It's like a jungle - look out for the monkeys !!!!

Brit15

My other half is a Yorkshire lass but i still agree as i deffo' know from 30 years of experience just how awkward and funny they can be :sarcastichand: And of course a Yorkshire mon always...." sez wot he likes and likes wot he sez"  :mosking:

• Like 1

• 2 years later...