'Modern' Western Region signal boxes

Drawings of a GWR built 'Austerity' box on the Didcot, Newbury & Southampton, possibly Burghclere ? and by Chris Leigh (dibber25 of this parish) were published in a mid 1980s Model Railway Constructor.

Brian R

• 5 years later...

Sorry to bump an old thread, but does anyone have any further information on the 'box at Cynheidre?

I'm involved with the present occupiers of the site, the Llanelli & Mynydd Mawr Railway, through my role as part of London Transport Traction Group management.

10 hours ago, sem34090 said:

Sorry to bump an old thread, but does anyone have any further information on the 'box at Cynheidre?

I'm involved with the present occupiers of the site, the Llanelli & Mynydd Mawr Railway, through my role as part of London Transport Traction Group management.

Opened 07/08/1960 as block post.

Closed 25/02/1968

Source 'Track Layout Diagrams of the GWR and BR (WR) Section  57' by R A Cooke

On 05/12/2021 at 10:58, Fat Controller said:

Opened 07/08/1960 as block post.

Closed 25/02/1968

Source 'Track Layout Diagrams of the GWR and BR (WR) Section  57' by R A Cooke

That was about as much as I'd worked out! Really hoping someone out there has a photo.

I do think that one of these boxes, reinstated on the site, would rather suit the railway and its fleet of Pacers.

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, Gordon A said:

This on now used by a sailing club who are adjacent to the station approach road on your right.

Sadly it's not there any more. That parcel of the land is now the access road to a new housing estate. West Wilts Youth Sailing Association now have a new slipway and clubhouse further along the station approach road nearer the station entrance. I'm told, by one of the club members, that parts of the box were removed to a private location and reassembled again. Although much loved and enjoyed by club members (hardly any of whom knew its history) it was apparently showing its age.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3