Templot and turntables

All thumbs

My long term modelling aim is to build a model in 4mm of the passenger loco yard (aka "Bottom Shed") at Kings Cross to cover the period from 1920 to 1950. The layout below is clipped from the 1943 schema given in GN Engine Sheds. The total length of the yard from the entry single slip at top left to the turntable at the right is about 600', say 8' in 4mm, so quite achievable in the space I have available.

post-13554-0-06621700-1358559546_thumb.jpg

I am looking to develop a working layout plan using Templot.  It seems to me that the turntable is the feature that I should start from but I can't find how to get one of these started in the program. Has anyone here any clues on how to do this?

Also, apparently it is possible to import a design into Templot.  Can anyone comment as to how easy it would be to import the jpg above into Templot?

Grateful for any comments, help etc.

I believe there is a way to put a turntable in although there isn't a specific turntable object. One simple way would be to draw a circle.

Regarding a background that is very simple and the templot club has plenty information on how.

• RMweb Gold

I am looking to develop a working layout plan using Templot.  It seems to me that the turntable is the feature that I should start from but I can't find how to get one of these started in the program. Has anyone here any clues on how to do this?

Also, apparently it is possible to import a design into Templot.  Can anyone comment as to how easy it would be to import the jpg above into Templot?

Hi,

There are several ways to add a turntable, but I'm not sure it's necessarily the best place to start. Getting the main lines aligned is the obvious starting point.

I've posted instructions for adding background images many times on the Templot Club user forum, most recently only 2 days ago, see:

http://85a.co.uk/forum/view_topic.php?id=2140&forum_id=22

You didn't say anything about the scale of your plan, so I have scaled it as near as I can get, assuming the running lines are at the standard 6ft way. Do you know the diameter of the turntable? If the map is correct and I've got the scaling right it's showing as 65ft dia. (260mm in 4mm/ft scale).

Here some screenshots showing your plan in Templot, and I have made a start on aligning some tracks over it. This in 4mm/ft scale (EM gauge):

First on the Templot trackpad:

post-1103-0-57456300-1358565037_thumb.png

post-1103-0-46673700-1358565034_thumb.png

And also on the Templot sketchboard. The turntable has been added as a circle item, set partially transparent:

post-1103-0-76559800-1358565024_thumb.png

post-1103-0-20713000-1358565031_thumb.png

post-1103-0-77289000-1358565026_thumb.png

Click the images to see the crisp full-size originals.

regards,

Martin.

Thank you so much for your help - I really appreciate it.

There isn't a scale given in GN Engine Sheds, the 600ft measurement I obtained by referring to an OS map published in LNER 150.  Unfortunately for my purposes, the map dates from the mid-1920s showing a coaling stage, no entry off the Milk Dock and a different layout of tracks within the facility with only one feed onto the turntable.  And the bothy is in the wrong place too...

.There is a good photo on p35 in Kings Cross (Irwell Press) taken from the top of Gasworks Tunnel looking down on the two running lines you have started. Scaling off that, it does appear that these lines are at 6ft.  From other photos in the same book, it looks as if the yard lines are spaced at 7ft.  The narrow gauge line was possibly 2ft spaced 5ft from the service track, 3ft-ish from the storage road.

The turntable was a Ransomes & Rapier 70ft unit and can be seen in some of Hornby's recent promotional material about their proposed model of the P2 Cock o'the North.  Using the early OS map, it looks as if the distance from retaining wall ("loco yard") across the centrepoint of the table to small wall by the running lines was in the order of 90ft.

post-13554-0-81767900-1358590078.jpg

Also, having accumulated far too many of Hornby's and Bachmann's recent LNER offerings, it'll have to be 00-SF!  :sorry_mini:

Archived