newbie needing help

dom_hel

hey guys,

I'm a long time viewer but first time contributor to the forums. I've been trying (for too long) to devise a plan for a tmd and station small layout.

Unfortunatly I don't have much space (who does??), the max room the layout can use is 6x2 with an extra 18 inchs width at the right hand end You'll see what i mean in the pic. Apparently I can only have the corner of a room.

What i'm really looking for as I said was a small tmd ideally with room fo 2car dmu and have maybe a end of branch station at the back. It also needs to have either sector plate if not a corner shape or fiddle yard so it looks as if the line goes somewhere.

heres what i have so far..

new sector.xtc

this is an old idea for a preservation termini that was never used but demonstrates the shape of the max baseboards

isfield.xtc

any help or ideas you have would be greatly received.

Oh its OO gauge btw.

Thanks

Hi Dom, good to see someone new starting out.

You said you wanted to go down the TMD route with a small station? Have you seen Warmington TMD? That layout sounds like something you could take some inspiration from.

My current layout is only 5'3" by 1'2" so a good layout is perfectly possible.

I like the look of the first layout, has a good flow to it and there will be plenty of shunting moves available to you with a layout like that

The second layout offers a bit less in shunting manoeuvres but will allow you to do more in the station area, looks like you'll have to do a trade off and work out what you want to do more on the layout, shunting or in and out the station.

Hope this helps,

James 

• 2 months later...

Once you have decided on a location you may find that the "Any Rail" computer track system will assist you in drawing the layout.It

allows you to set minimum radii and maximum gradients. If you go over or under these limits the plan in that area will indicate this

with a red mark.It also provides for a large range of scenery to be iincorporated into the track.

The system also provides you with data bases of all the track manufacturers so that you can "lay " the exact track on the plan and know

the layout will work exactly as designed.

I have used this system in my first layout which is in N gauge and is 35'X15'. It has enabled me to proceed past the planning stage

with confidence.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

Once you have decided on a location you may find that the "Any Rail" computer track system will assist you in drawing the layout.Itallows you to set minimum radii and maximum gradients. If you go over or under these limits the plan in that area will indicate thiswith a red mark.It also provides for a large range of scenery to be iincorporated into the track.The system also provides you with data bases of all the track manufacturers so that you can "lay " the exact track on the plan and knowthe layout will work exactly as designed.I have used this system in my first layout which is in N gauge and is 35'X15'. It has enabled me to proceed past the planning stagewith confidence.Regards,Anthony Ashley

Anthony, I am in awe of you having such a large area! I suspect you mean inches rather than feet. I started doodling with XtraCAD but have now switched to AnyRail as I can edit things easier in that package. Neither of them are that good if you want to do the electrics but AnyRail is better when working out baseboard braces and turnout positios.

I meant feet, as I have moved into a new property in Australia and purposely built a quadruple garage to house the layout. I have a

post called "Plan of Conwy Station 1960" in RM Web if you want to see some of the back scenes. I have part built 3 of the 14 base boards

and am now putting the horizontal surfaces on them. As this is my first layout there is a lot to learn as you have indicated.

Regards,

Anthony

Archived