Livery Photoshopping

Back on RMweb3 there was a very long running thread of photoshopped liveries contributed by me and others, which can be found hereOld Thread, but it's recently been mentioned in the Computer livery EMT on a Class 91!thread that on the new RMweb there's no open thread to which all members can contribute their photoshopping.

To open the topic, here's my most recent photoshopped train:

post-6731-12622025247337_thumb.jpg

This image created by Paul Burkitt-Gray is based on a photo by Wikimedia user Miroslav.broz distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike License, and as such is released under the same license.

Eurostar is reported to be considering buying a number of Alstom's new AGV trains to use on extended services to European destinations beyond Paris and Brussels. This is my impression of what an AGV might look like in Eurostar's white and yellow livery, though as Eurostar has also apparently commissioned the design of a new livery it is unlikely they would actually the original version. It is interesting to note that Eurostar's livery is the oldest in current use on a mainline passenger train fleet in the UK.

All my earlier photoshoppings are posted in the RMweb gallery and also on my Fotopic site alternativerailways.fotopic.net

Paul

• Like 1

It is interesting to note that Eurostar's livery is the oldest in current use on a mainline passenger train fleet in the UK.

And yet it doesn't look old or outdated. Nice job on the AGV by the way, not sure I like the styling of the train though.

I assume from what you've written this is intended as a free for all thread?

Here's a few I've played with recently

gallery_6899_468_198892.jpg

gallery_6899_468_77751.jpg

gallery_6899_468_108886.jpg

All of which can be found in here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?app=gallery&module=user&user=6899&do=view_album&album=468

cheers

jo

• Like 3

I assume from what you've written this is intended as a free for all thread?

Here's a few I've played with recently

Absolutely. Those 70s are really nice' date=' especially the one in Railfreight red stripe.

post-6731-12624453931569_thumb.jpg

This image created by Paul Burkitt-Gray is based on a photo by Matt Buck distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike License, and as such is released under the same license.

There have been rumours that Wrexham and Shropshire will use class 170s on some of their quieter services, freeing up 67+MkIII+DVT sets for Chiltern's busier services.

Paul

That turbo looks rather tidy Paul! WSMR seem to have a livery that transfers well to other stock

Hows about loadhaul ??

jon

Here you go Jon, along with a couple of others I've done today

gallery_6899_468_45216.jpg

gallery_6899_468_97837.jpg

gallery_6899_468_33887.jpg

cheers

jo

• Like 3

sorry to ask but im useless with photo software, and i dont have photoshop....

but what about a Deltic in Intercity Livery? if someone could do that for me i would be very greatful as its always been a pondering thought, likewise a Hymek in intercity livery.

thanks in advance, and i love all thses livery variations we have on here so far,

Many thanks,

Bruce

Before I post some of my photoshops I'd like to give some background. Many of my photoshops are based on Traws Cambria Richards Brothers livery, as used on the X50 service between Cardigan and Aberystyth. They are probablly my favorite buses (I'm over 6ft tall and they seem to have more legroom than any other bus I've ever been on). Pics of these buses can be found here and here. Richards Brothers is a local bus company round here and Traws Cambria is a Welsh Assembally initative of some sort. First, Arriva and Stagecoach also have Traws Cambria branded buses.

Anyway, I thought, what if the assembaly introduced Traws Cambria to the railways as well as the buses? Richards Brothers has it's main depot in Cardigan, so I made the destination boards on some of these trains say Cardigan. I did post some of these images here, under the following disclaimer:

Disclaimer: Images photoshoped by me (that includes my avatar image) were created from images I found on the web. I'm afraid I didn't record were I got them from or if there was any copywrite attached to them. I therefore declare that I do not own any copywrite for these images.
but: got an Admin note saying: ["You simply cannot do that, there's enough written on copyright on this forum and what you can and cannot do surrounding it."]

Anyway, the thread has now reach ten pages and I've started crediting images in a more propper fashion and am going to use this post to list my photoshops in this thread.

I hope the page numbers and links are correct and remain so.

• Chiltern Railways Mrk3 train -...............................................................................- Page 3
  • Intercity 125 in ICE livery -......................................................................................- Page 4
  • Great Western Trains 158, 143 and 153 -..........................................................- Page 5
  • Wrexham & Shropshire DVT with blue-grey extended from coaches -.........- Page 8
  • What if a whole class of locos were born from Kestrel? -...............................- Page 9
  • GO! CO-OP Mrk3s -.................................................................................................- Page 9
  • Mrk2 DBSO with Class 47/7 loco in various liveries -......................................- Page 9
  • Kestrel in Load Haul livery -..................................................................................- Page 10
  • Electrostar units at Cardiff Central (Valley Lines Livery) -...............................- Page 10
  • Alphaline liveries today - part 1 -..........................................................................- Page 11
  • ICE1 with UK yellow ends -...................................................................................- Page 11
  • Alphaline liveries today - part 2 - First Great Western -....................................-Page 12
  • INTERCITY Swallow - 2010 version on class 91 and mrk4s -......................-Page 13

Edited by Rhydgaled
Uploaded images removed due to copyright breach.

post-6731-1262717907463_thumb.jpg

This image created by Paul Burkitt-Gray is based on a photo by Chris McKenna distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike License, and as such is released under the same license.

This is a class 156 in the livery of Scottish bus operator MacBraynes, inspired by a repainted Lima model that was featured in Model Rail about ten years ago.

Paul

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Interestingly the Class 70 dosnt look half bad once its painted in different liveries, seems that the main reason the prototype is so ugly is that its been painted in some moronic livery with lots of curves on a freight loco.....

So, a challenge for you photoshoping types: How about applying the new Freightliner livery to something with a sleeker curved front. Thinking HST or a Voyager or something...

Would be interested to see how it sits on a prototype which isnt full of such sharp angles.

I'm so glad that this thread has returned. I love it!

That Stobart Class 70 doesn't look half bad!

There was mention on the old forum of a basic tutorial for all of us dimwits who drool over the images but can't make our own icon_redface.gif Any offers or is this an unbelievably huge task that I'm asking?

So, a challenge for you photoshoping types: How about applying the new Freightliner livery to something with a sleeker curved front. Thinking HST or a Voyager or something...

Would be interested to see how it sits on a prototype which isnt full of such sharp angles.

I did have the thought of trying it on a duff...

There was mention on the old forum of a basic tutorial for all of us dimwits who drool over the images but can't make our own icon_redface.gif Any offers or is this an unbelievably huge task that I'm asking?

At the moment I don't have the time to sit down and knock something together about my methods, but perhaps it maybe worth a thread in Photography? I'd be interested to compare notes on techniques with Paul

A quick pair for tonight, some Pendolinos

gallery_6899_468_248772.jpg

DB Bahn (West Coast) winning the WCML franchise when it comes up

gallery_6899_468_48867.jpg

If the GWML is ever electrified, what about Pendo power?

I'm not particularly happy with this, it just doesn't look right, particularly the high gloss blue. Maybe needs another try

Both are in the gallery http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?app=gallery&module=user&user=6899&do=view_album&album=468

cheers

jo

I tried doing a tutorial a while ago but it got a bit bogged down in the amount of stuff that has to be done to create a photoshopped image. Since then my techniques have developed so it is out of date anyway. I'd like to do a proper tutorial but will be busy for the next few weeks so it won't be soon.

Jo, I think the problem with the First Pendolino is that trying to turn a light coloured train into a darker colour never seems to work well. This is because dark colours have a lot more variation in shading, reflections, highlights and shiny bits than light colours, so when a light train is made dark it looks much flatter than it should. There's no method I know of to avoid this on large areas, because you have to create detail which is not there in the original image.

Paul