Livery Photoshopping

• RMweb Premium

Except on 86401. That looks quite good.

A matter of personal preference, of course, but I don't think NSE flatters any locomotive: it's really a multiple unit livery. On a loco, particularly a shortish one like an 86, it becomes two ends with not enough in between.

Sombody asked what if Kestrel's class had been put into production? Well, here's my attempt at some possibilities, original image uploaded to wikimedia Commons, under creative commons license, by Oxyman - Author: Phil Sangwell.

First, HS4000 itself in BR Blue:

post-7703-127585635305_thumb.jpg

2nd in class, 59002 'Harrier' in BR Large Logo Blue:

post-7703-1275856426_thumb.jpg

59001 'Kestrel' in Intercity Swallow:

post-7703-127585655108_thumb.jpg

I really have trouble with perspective (for text and nameplates etc.)

Interesting work you've done with Kestrel there. Perspective is certainly one of the hardest bits to get right, on many of my photoshops the logos or numbers still look wrong to me however much I try to adjust them. As a rule, horizontal compression is always a lot more than one would initially expect, and the lettering looking stretched often jumps out as something that is not quite right with an image.

med_gallery_6731_93_367294.jpg

Image by Paul Burkitt-Gray based on a photograph by Phil Scott, published under the Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike license

I don't usually do steam locos, but here in response to a request from member f#m is an LMS 8F in lined BR green.

Paul

• Like 4

I don't usually do steam locos, but here in response to a request from member f#m is an LMS 8F in lined BR green.

Wow :) She really does carry that well - brings out the inate "Stanierness" which hides behind the black normally.

Interesting work you've done with Kestrel there. Perspective is certainly one of the hardest bits to get right, on many of my photoshops the logos or numbers still look wrong to me however much I try to adjust them. As a rule, horizontal compression is always a lot more than one would initially expect, and the lettering looking stretched often jumps out as something that is not quite right with an image.

Paul

At the moment it doesn't seem to matter what software i use because all the ones i have tried doing have come out looking like some drunkerd threw a large tin of humbrol all over an engine :rolleyes:

all the ones i have tried doing have come out looking like some drunkerd threw a large tin of humbrol all over an engine

Don't despair, you can just tell people your photoshops are accurate representations of my attempts to repaint a model :)

i thought the NSE livery was quite attractive, again personal preference.

NSE is one of my favourite liveries. Has there ever been a poll on this forum of favourite diesel liveries? If there has, can anyone remember the general outcome? (excuse my ignorance if there has, i am a frequent visitor to this site but don't keep track of all the boards and discussions so may have missed it).

Ian

gallery_6899_468_270556.jpg

With the purchase of EMD by Caterpillar, will we ever see them offering a rebuild with improved cabs and a Cat engine? The Cat corporate colours seem to sit well on the demonstrator 66. The yellow stripes are inspired by the original Yeoman livery on the class 59s

cheers

jo

• Like 1

Nice! the Cat' class 66 looks tasty alright - you cant go wrong with black on dieselscool.gif

So far my all time fave is still the new freightliner livery class 67... i wonder if Mr CJM is busy at the moment...

tfn

jon

Really practical livery that black CAT. In Europe CAT brand a number of the agricultural products as CLAAS (or vice versa) - but that's seriously inapropriate colours of pale green and white.

With traffic picking up hugely, and a shortfall in traction, more 66s are ordered for the lighter workings as they are cheaper to lease than class 70s. 66960-965 were delivered in Powerhaul style livery as applied to the 70s and 86637. Doesn't look bad IMO, the 66 seems to carry a lot of yellow well

gallery_6899_468_299980.jpg

cheers

jo

• Like 1

I recently read about a Co-operative that intends to provide services from Yeovil Junction to the Midlands via Melksham, under open access rules. Not sure what stock they intend to use but read somewhere that it may be Wrexham & Shropshire style push-pull trains, which I assume means Mrk3 DVTs and coaches rather than Mrk2 coaches including DBSOs.

I took the CO-OP's logo from their website and a base Creative Commons Attribution Share-alike image from wiki by Andy F. I tried mainly grey, red, blue and green versions of a posible livery, here are the blue and green:

post-7703-127653421263.jpg post-7703-127653423467.jpg

I've been on 2-car 175s running the Milford Haven - Manchester service a couple of times and they have been rather overcrowded. Therefore there are probablly too few 3-car sets so what about abandoning the idea of a uniform fleet on that run and bringing in some 100mph class 47/7s re-fitted to work push-pull trains with Mrk2 DBSOs alongside the 3-car 175s? I think Arriva's standard livery is rather drab so I based this one on the much smarter WAG express livery instead.

post-7703-127653495667_thumb.jpg

Ah, but DB own Arriva now, so...

post-7703-127653508959_thumb.jpgpost-7703-127653511675_thumb.jpg

To round off this batch of photoshops, here's the same train in some BR liveries:

post-7703-127653522625_thumb.jpgpost-7703-127653525031_thumb.jpg

Original images by Matt Davis (Creative Commons) and EliminatorJR (Public Domain).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

med_gallery_6731_93_367294.jpg

Image by Paul Burkitt-Gray based on a photograph by Phil Scott, published under the Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike license

Paul

Ever thought about the reverse "might have been" a Castle in Crimson lake if the LMS had managed to persuade the GWR to sell them some in the '20s, no doubt with a straight sided Midland derived tender and no bright metal!

Keith

• RMweb Gold

I don't have the time or the skill with Photoshop to do these, some of you are fantastic with your abilities.

A request from me if one of you could be so kind, I'd like to see what Kestrel would have looked like in Loadhaul livery please?

Thanks

Andi

• 2 weeks later...

The black Tornado and variations on DB Arriva make me wonder what might have happened if the predecessors of DBS (i.e. Deutsche Bunsenbahn itself) had started making acquisitions a couple of decades earlier.

Cheers

David

.....make me wonder what might have happened if the predecessors of DBS (i.e. Deutsche Bunsenbahn itself) .......

We had those in our Science lab at school. Made in Germany too !

Bunsenbahners of course...biggrin.gif

• Like 2