'Views' count on threads - just a question, not a problem

Each thread counts up the number of 'views' it has - do these include when that thread comes up in searches or Googles or anything, or is it only when people actually open the thread and/or read a posting within it? 

No real reason for asking, just curious.

It's only when someone lands on a page within the topic Dave, Google does store a cache of it though but it doesn't increase the count when the £100 layout turns up as on Google as a result for example.

The count can be a little misleading - what it does not represent is the number of people having viewed a topic. The count goes up for example when someone reads each page, so moving from page 1 to page 2 is a count of 2. Another misleading count is when someone posts to a page, as the count is +1 for the initial read and +1 for the after post display. It certainly used to be +1 as well for the editor display.

I'm not sure if it also is +1 for every click of Like/unlike as I believe that uses Ajax rather than a full page load.

and another +1 is added on every button that triggers a page load (at least for me).

All in all a pretty useless measure compared to a measure of unique members having read, or even the number of posts made to a topic.

<

All in all a pretty useless measure compared to a measure of unique members having read, or even the number of posts made to a topic.

We have another system in our area that counts the amount of times you have had anything positive to say Kenton.  Not very high at the moment. :no: 

Perhaps you have a system that works better and if so I feel sure Andy would like to hear from you.

Multiple pressing of F5 is also used to boost the view count. With a bit of practice with 1st and 2nd finger you can get a few hundred in a minute.

I'd be careful admitting to things like that which place additional unnecessary loads on the server. What's the point anyway? A falsified indication of worth?

• RMweb Premium

I'd be careful admitting to things like that which place additional unnecessary loads on the server. What's the point anyway? A falsified indication of worth?

Totally agree, Andy. Hell, I feel guilty about increasing my "Views Count" when I'm looking for something on my thread! 

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

I agree with Kenton. (And Physicsman.)

The views feature is (surely) used as a measure of page usage.

Currently this figure is inaccurate, and as has been pointed out, open to abuse.

I use the term “usage” instead of “popularity” as I feel this would not be wholly appropriate.

(Especially in my case :) ).

Kev.

Archived