updating Hornby class 91 and mk 4 stock

right I have started a little project to improve the Hornby 225 set by adding lights, wire hand rails and etched brass detailing to the class 91 and the DVT and I will be doing it with DCC using only 1 chip also I will be collecting all the coaches and modifying them to represent the real 8 or 9 coach formation. this will be done ready for next year along with a mainline layout that will be taken to my colleges arts festival.

any pointers?

right I have started a little project to improve the Hornby 225 set by adding lights, wire hand rails and etched brass detailing to the class 91 and the DVT and I will be doing it with DCC using only 1 chip also I will be collecting all the coaches and modifying them to represent the real 8 or 9 coach formation. this will be done ready for next year along with a mainline layout that will be taken to my colleges arts festival.

any pointers?

Will you be having lights on the DVT end or just the 91 ?

are you lighting the coaches ?

SGJ 

any pointers?

Express Models may be of use

http://www.expressmodels.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2eexpressmodels%2eco%2euk%2facatalog%2fsearch%2ehtml&WD=91%20class&PN=DCC_DOUBLE_ENDED_LOCOMOTIVES%2ehtml%23aDCC_2fH91#aDCC_2fH91

Hornby Class 91 Electric Ref: DCC/H91

Marker and Tail lights for Hornby Class 91 Electric. For 2 or 4 function decoders.

Price: £15.95Hornby Class 91 Electric Ref: DCC/H91

Marker and Tail lights for Hornby Class 91 Electric. For 2 or 4 function decoders.

Price: £15.95

SGJ

any pointers?

Would you be able to post pictures as work in progress, I am thinking about doing simular with a intercity livery 225 myself over time ? ( i dont have a layout at the moment  ) but thinking of doing EM or P4 or CODE 75 TRACK

SGJ

Have a look at Hurst models too who a good few years ago introduced bits and bobs to improve and ehance mark four stock Ian

Parts designed for the Hornby MK 4 coaches.

DK4000 MK 4 Telephone Ground Plates and Aerials

£0.75   DK4001 MK 4 TOE/TO/TOD/SV/PO Coach Underframe Ends

£0.85   DK4002 MK 4 DVT Coach Underframe Ends

£0.85   DK4003 MK 4 EBAC Air Conditioning

£0.75

http://www.shop.hurstmodels.com/coaches-mk-4-14-c.asp

Also a search on the hurst site brought these

LDP007 Class 91/MK 4 DVT/Lima HST Swallow Logos

£1.50     LDP901 Class 91/325 EMU Pantograph

£11.99

SGJ

i will be using LEDs from maplins 2mm and 3mm with a T1 led decoder from TCS. is this a good idea?

The T1-LED is designed for a motor and led lights if your 225 set does not have a resistor with the led`s

If your using resistors then use a standard T1

SGJ

• RMweb Premium

Also have a look at the Keen systems parts. http://www.keen-systems.com/page3.html

I used his carriage ends and skirts with the keen system close coupling mech.

This allows room for some Viessmann 2 pole electric coupling, and possibly some 4 pole at a push.

Two sound encoders with sound from the great Legomanbiffo where also fitted, that alternate horns and other sound effect, depending on the direction of travel.

If you have a look at the descriptions in my youtube videos it explains what i did when i built mine.

http://youtu.be/71s3BsOOz-c

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Also have a look at the Keen systems parts. http://www.keen-systems.com/page3.html

I used his carriage ends and skirts with the keen system close coupling mech.

This allows room for some Viessmann 2 pole electric coupling, and possibly some 4 pole at a push.

Two sound encoders with sound from the great Legomanbiffo where also fitted, that alternate horns and other sound, effect depending on the direction of travel.

If you have a look at the descriptions in my youtube videos it explains what i did when i built mine.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

saw this on you-tube and this is what inspired me to do this

could you opposable do a video that looks at the internals of the train and the couplings

• RMweb Premium

saw this on you-tube and this is what inspired me to do this

could you opposable do a video that looks at the internals of the train and the couplings

I'm glad to hear from others reviving this model.

Its amazing to see what a difference a few changes can make, also the parts are relatively inexpensive to pick up too.

When buying more carriages be careful that you get the right color of blue if you are going GNER pre mallard livery.

You can tell which is the later blue by the all metal wheels compared to the part plastic on the earlier color. Of course there is always the odd exception to this.

I'm currently modeling the class 89 set and have parts for a Mallard set, which will all be used on my ECML layout once complete/started.

post-10617-0-80255300-1358896657_thumb.jpg

post-10617-0-28444800-1358896699_thumb.jpg

post-10617-0-74559000-1358896779_thumb.jpg

post-10617-0-62357900-1358897005_thumb.jpg

post-10617-0-11559500-1358897046_thumb.jpg

Ill get some pictures of the coupling areas and cutouts too.

• RMweb Premium

Looks like a Bachmann Warship Chassis has been used, with a DCC decoder and Sound speaker

NL

Thats correct, it has to be shortened by 14mm to get the correct spacing for the 91.

The drive shafts also need to be shortened and the motor re-positioned.

The only downside to this modification is the bogie wheel spacing is too short by 1.5mm, but it's not noticeable once on the track

Well why not get rid of that awful ringfield motor, The Warship Chassis is a more powerful runner and smooth because of the all wheel drive ... Sforest I was gonig to say, wouldnt the chassis be too short for a class 91, but yeah it seems you have used it well, the Wheelbase isnt the main problem as so muc hthe wheels themselves which might be different in size?

NL

• RMweb Premium

You can see how the Warship chassis compares to the Ringfield on the pictures below.

The wheel alignment looks much worse on these camera shots than it does in reality.

I'd totally forgotten that they do not line up perfectly until this thread, and things like this usually bother me.

The suspension parts where glued to the bogie after these shots where taken.

post-10617-0-94135600-1359070238_thumb.jpg

post-10617-0-30342000-1359071327_thumb.jpg

post-10617-0-25351900-1359070157_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Is the bogie frame the right way round? in the picture above?

Ian

As you have spotted it is the wrong way round, but nothing was glued in or pinned down. This was just a mock-up of how everything would sit and clearance checks.

I made a few alterations to the bogie position etc after this.

Archived