http://www.cravenmodels.com/SIGNALBOXLEVERS.htm

I saw these had come out, I understand that Black Country Blues will use them, so as anyone got their hands on a set yet? If so are they worth the money? They look to be a very clever product but I could not find the instructions for interlocking, maybe that bit isn't finished yet.

• RMweb Gold

Isn't that the firing sequence for an engine?

These levers look terrific (ad in Model Rail delivered yesterday) and I shall certainly be considering them. Should be possible to do most interlocking via the switches as they have three sets of contacts.

See that they are distributed by Gaugemaster so hopefully more details on their website.

• RMweb Gold

Good to see a range of spare parts available from the start. Only thing that seems to be missing is a spare lever for the white ones in the frame.

(I don't think that there will be any spares at Tamworth but have not yet got a signalbox diagram to verify that).

DCDCP-CBS - Cobalt S - Lever with All Accessories (Single)

Trade - £11.08 Retail - £19..95

DCDCP-CBS6 - Cobalt S - Lever with All Accessories (6 Pack)

Trade - £63.86 Retail - £114.95

DCDCP-CBS12 - Cobalt S - Lever with All Accessories (12 Pack)

Trade - £119.42 Retail - £214.95

Seeing the difference in the trade and retail prices makes you realise the savings that shopping around and buying bulk packs can make.

Pack of 12 from Hattons at £165 works out at £13.75 each.

The Hattons price makes them look much better value. It would be a no brainer purchase if they can produce a programmable interlocking circuit board to go with them. Agreed the range of switches included looks useful as does the momentary or continuous switching. The levers appear to be all brass and given that I still have working Hornby Dublo levers from 1965 I think these should last! You also get the brass plaques which was a nice touch.

• RMweb Gold

Good to see a range of spare parts available from the start. Only thing that seems to be missing is a spare lever for the white ones in the frame.

(I don't think that there will be any spares at Tamworth but have not yet got a signalbox diagram to verify that).

http://www.signalbox.org/diagrams.php?id=91 (a later diagram but probably pretty close to the colour light equivalent of yours)

Seeing the difference in the trade and retail prices makes you realise the savings that shopping around and buying bulk packs can make.

Pack of 12 from Hattons at £165 works out at £13.75 each.

So it seems that Hattons are willing to work on 13% profit (on turnover), well below what a local shop in a high street location could afford to do.

• RMweb Gold

So it seems that Hattons are willing to work on 13% profit (on turnover), well below what a local shop in a high street location could afford to do.

Here are the Hattons ones but they are on order. http://www.ehattons.com/60420/DCC_Concepts_DCP_CBS12_Cobalt_S_Lever_with_all_accessories_pack_of_12_unpainted_/StockDetail.aspx

I will be interested to see them in action and wonder if non dcc layouts can use them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The Hattons price makes them look much better value. It would be a no brainer purchase if they can produce a programmable interlocking circuit board to go with them. Agreed the range of switches included looks useful as does the momentary or continuous switching. The levers appear to be all brass and given that I still have working Hornby Dublo levers from 1965 I think these should last! You also get the brass plaques which was a nice touch.

I'm some way off detailed consideration of control systems yet but am already adapting my plans to include these on my new layout.

The separate connecting units should make it fairly simple to add electrical interlocking later on. I will leave that aspect until I have everything else up-and-running as the switches themselves will not be affected.

As someone suggested earlier in the thread, a reasonable degree of electrical interlocking should be possible via unused contacts. A few additional relays should probably suffice to fill any gaps. My ability with electrical theory is such that I will find it easier to ensure the interlocking does what I want/expect if I can test its effects on a working layout as I go along!

John

• RMweb Gold

http://www.signalbox.org/diagrams.php?id=91 (a later diagram but probably pretty close to the colour light equivalent of yours)

Thanks for that link. I have used in the past on another research project but not yet checked whether Tamworth was there. Post electrification, a lot of infrastructure had gone so that diag. very different from what I will be looking at. Will have to check and see if earlier layout is also there.

• RMweb Gold

I'm some way off detailed consideration of control systems yet but am already adapting my plans to include these on my new layout.

The separate connecting units should make it fairly simple to add electrical interlocking later on. I will leave that aspect until I have everything else up-and-running as the switches themselves will not be affected.

As someone suggested earlier in the thread, a reasonable degree of electrical interlocking should be possible via unused contacts. A few additional relays should probably suffice to fill any gaps. My ability with electrical theory is such that I will find it easier to ensure the interlocking does what I want/expect if I can test its effects on a working layout as I go along!

John

Judging by the link at the top of the thread, and as Beast has said above, there seems to be no sort of interlocking at all in the design of the lever frame itself.  The levers could be used (in SPST/SPDT mode) to drive a solid state or relay interlocking which would interlock the outputs but not the levers themselves.  And it is possible that the contacts within the frame could be used as interruptors to provide a very limited amount of output interlocking, but again no lever interlocking.

From the look of the design and pictures of it the only way of interlocking the frame itself would appear to be by driving mechanical locking directly off the levers themselves unless there is room to incorporate some sort of electric lock within the casing (which I doubt)

• RMweb Premium

Couldn't you add external electric locks to the frame, much like the real thing (well at least in the ER, not sure about the WR!)? A small hole drilled in the lever, connected to a bar that runs through a relay operated lock mounted at the rear of the frame.

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

Couldn't you add external electric locks to the frame, much like the real thing (well at least in the ER, not sure about the WR!)? A small hole drilled in the lever, connected to a bar that runs through a relay operated lock mounted at the rear of the frame.

Andy G

Yes - just as good as a mechanical locking in many respects (and in some ways better as it would be more compact) - as long as you have enough lever contacts to do it.

• RMweb Premium

Yes - just as good as a mechanical locking in many respects (and in some ways better as it would be more compact) - as long as you have enough lever contacts to do it.

I could see lots of relays under the frame to add extra contacts. Just like the real thing!

Andy G

• 2 weeks later...

Modratec now offers electrical interlocking. I understand that you can order the interlocking frame without the levers. Their software also helps design the interlocking, and Harold is very useful.

I have no connection other than as a satisfied customer (with a completed 36 lever manual interlocking frame)

• 11 months later...

Archived