Dave F flickr photos 31st July a few more added

• RMweb Gold

I've added a few photos around Tring and around Lichfield taken in 1976.

They can be found at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidwf2009/collections/72157626364037172/  (they can also be accessed at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidwf2009/collections/72157626176329643/ )

A couple of samples:

post-5613-0-98046200-1358878691_thumb.jpg

post-5613-0-04994300-1358878696_thumb.jpg

I do know about the spelling mistake in one of the captions.

More sets to follow fairly soon, all being well.

David

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Yesterday (7th) I was in Newcastle for a visit to the Dental Hospital, during the day I went to have a look at the railway from the roof of the Keep.

The images are at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidwf2009/collections/72157626192203459/   in the Collection "Newcastle from 2012".

Samples below:

post-5613-0-03715800-1360335407_thumb.jpg

post-5613-0-20014300-1360335411_thumb.jpg

David

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've just come across a few more Lincolnshire images and put them on flickr, as usual at:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidwf2009/  

Click on sets, they are in "Lincolnshire Miscellany" as well as below.

post-5613-0-84618400-1372876597_thumb.jpg

Mablethorpe station Aug 70 J2180

post-5613-0-66120200-1372876608_thumb.jpg

Sutton on Sea Aug 70 J2181

post-5613-0-31942300-1372876614_thumb.jpg

Sutton on Sea December 70 C447

post-5613-0-91738500-1372876591_thumb.jpg

Algakirk and Sutterton Class 114 Boston to Peterboorough Aug 70 J2187

post-5613-0-86048400-1372876602_thumb.jpg

St James Deeping Class 114 Peterborough to Grimsby Aug 70 J2190

David

Morning All,

Forgive the intrusion on to a topic close to my modelling heart, can anyone ID the van at the rear of the 114 please? Is it a Horse box?

Were there more than one attached sometimes do you think?

Thanks,

Billy

LNER/BR Extra long CCT, I believe.

Several photos of them on Paul Bartlett's site: http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/lnercctc

• RMweb Gold

Gentlemen,

As ever my thanks, another interesting van to add to Project Louth.

So how did 'Deeping St James' become 'St James Deeping' back in the day?

Billy.

I've wondered about that ever since I saw the signal box for the first time, when Dad took the photo.

David

Looking at a map of the area, most of the Deepings seem better served by Peakirk. Maybe it was to emphasise that St James Deeping was only meant to serve Deeping St James itself.

Suffixes like "St James" are normally used to distinguish one of several stations in a town or city, rather than the name of a place itself. Maybe the proper name of the village just went against railway logic.

Looking at a map of the area, most of the Deepings seem better served by Peakirk. Maybe it was to emphasise that St James Deeping was only meant to serve Deeping St James itself.

Suffixes like "St James" are normally used to distinguish one of several stations in a town or city, rather than the name of a place itself. Maybe the proper name of the village just went against railway logic.

In cities you are correct - but in the countryside villages often have composite names to indicate different facets of the area - for example if a particular village was owned by a specific family estate or evena church estate it might take that family name or a name referencing it to the church to distinguish it from other villages in the area with similar or identical name. Likewise a geographical feature might be appended. In this case Deeping St James would almost certainly have been isolated from the Deeping where the market was held (Market Deeping) and so on. Other examples might be Kibworth Beauchamp and Kibworth Harcourt in Leicestershire (see Michael Wood's recent book based on his TV series about the history of England seen through one place). A geographical example might be St Mary-in-the Marsh and St Mary's Bay in Romney Marsh. This doesn't solve why the railway decided to reverse the name for the signal box of course....

My impression is that parts of East Anglia are full of places with a sainted suffix. Capel St Mary and Horsham St Faith come to mind, and I'm sure there are plenty of others.

There are loads of examples - here are some from within a few miles of each other in West Norfolk:

- Walpole St Peter and Walpole St Andrew (both named after the family of the first Prime Minister, a Norfolk man);

- Terrington St Clement and Terrington St John (the former an ex-M&GN station);

- Tilney All Saints and Tilney St Lawrence;

and, the most impressive of them all:

- Wiggenhall St Germans, Wiggenhall St Mary Magdalen, Wiggenhall St Peter and Wiggenhall St Mary the Virgin (the 2nd of these is on the Magdalen Road after which the station was named, before reverting to Watlington).

Paul

Wiggenhall St Germans, Wiggenhall St Mary Magdalen, Wiggenhall St Peter and Wiggenhall St Mary the Virgin (the 2nd of these is on the Magdalen Road after which the station was named, before reverting to Watlington).

Paul

But the Great Central signalbox is still called Magdalen Road..

• RMweb Gold

Mmm, or has it/ Now i've posted it there are some differences, is ther more than one signal box?

Will check tomorrow.

Having looked at both images together I'd say it is the same box, the brickwork is the same, as are barge boards etc.  The ventilator or whatever at the top has gone, as has the walkway for cleaning the windows and new lights have been added.

David

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've just come across a couple of dad's earlycolour slides at Tetbury.  As usual they are also on flickr, in the Great Western Miscellany set.

post-5613-0-06780600-1375004462_thumb.jpg

Tetbury AC Cars railbus W79978 August 59 J012

post-5613-0-33463700-1375004454_thumb.jpg

Tetbury 16xx 1664 running round August 1963 J060

This was replacing a railbus as it was the end of term at the local boarding school.  As the loco ran round it removed a lot of the beading from the Gresley coach as the train was just too near the point.

Both were taken on the way to family holidays in Devon, Dad didn't take any other photos of the station.

David

Archived