Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Your favourite railway "sound"?

sammyboy

I was thinking over the last few days whilst getting on with life/work, ect... I thought just what is my or your favourite sound or noise from the railways.

Is it the sound of a approaching steam locomotive, a diesel horn, the clickety-clack of the train wheels over the rail joints, or something else altogether??

One of my favourites is the whining noise as an electric loco or unit accelerates!!

Sam

• RMweb Premium

Close tie between the wheels on the joints of the whistle of the guard telling us that the journey is starting. I'm not sure that I could pick between them.

• RMweb Premium

The sound of a mechanical signal box; bells, clanking levers and the sound of the semaphore signals.

A happy memory came from my time living in Totnes in the 1990s. Double-headed class 37s on the Devon banks...on a still winter's night, the sound carried for miles.

• RMweb Gold

Lying in a sleeper coach and listening to the train moving through the night and the subdued voices of people talking in the corridor.

(preferably somewhere warm and exotic, and preferably with noone snoring nearby!)  

• RMweb Gold

I've loved the sound of a Bulleid whistle for nearly 60 years now. I was born and bred in Bishopstoke, just across the fields from Eastleigh. One of my earliest memories is of being tucked up in bed in the evening and listening to that magical sound rolling across as Bulleid - hauled expresses sped through. 

Even now, when I get to drive a Bulleid on the Mid Hants and hang on the whistle it still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up - fabulous sound.

The unmistakeable snarl, deepening to a throbbing roar, of a class 50, carried across the dreaming spires of Oxford on a misty morning as it accelerates a Thames Valley commuter train away towards Radley; the urgent, demanding, long-drawn out two-tone warning blast of an HST running flat out over Foxhall Junction and non-stop through platform 2 at Didcot (that one has been tingling my spine for 37 years so far, and it still had the same effect yesterday - it makes me grin from ear to ear like an idiot); the extraordinary eardrum rattling 2 cylinder roar of a Romney pacific working hard into speed, with chime whistle to the fore - Dr Syn is the best of all; a double-chimney Castle (either 7029 or 5043 - both superb machines) in full cry.

David

Archived