Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Your favourite railway "sound"?

sammyboy

Four for me are in order of preference:

1. Manual signal box, absolute block sections of course. A quick burst of noise (block bells, levers, signal wires ) and then silence until the train arrives.

2. Late 90s one this. The 0237hrs New St - Holyhead leaving New St. Class 37 with the driver doing his best to wake up the city

3. Class 08 accelerating from a stand

4. That strange groaning noise the track (normally a siding) makes when something heavy rolls across it

Andy

I used to live in a flat in Barking next to theTilbury line, I often got woken late at night when a Class 37 ( Stabled at Stratford) went by as the exhaust note use to rattle my bedroom windows! :)

I can't pick one either.

The distant clanging of buffers and clinking of couplings during loose shunting.

The rattling of the windows of the DMU taking me to the beach.

The sporadic distant sound of one of Cantons 37s as it approaches from somewhere up/down the valley.

cheers

There are so many. Most evocative, as has already been mentioned, is the clanging buffers of loose-coupled stock (near Grandmother's house early 60's). Visits to SVR at Bridgnorth and Bewdley, however, could still produce my favourite sound, which is an 8F or Black 5 moving slowly, producing that soft, elongated  "wwhhhhoffff" from the exhaust. Only a "Stanier" does that !

- Acceleration of the Class 37

I'll go with this. And be a bit more specific.

Standing on Devonport Albert Rd platform in the summer sun with Tara (a long-legged mutt) as one of them came up from North Road. Both the 37's and Tara are long gone from my life, but I have the memory...

These are fantastic! I never knew when I started this post last night that it would become so popular with your favourite sounds.

Some of those sounds are well recognizable such as the sound of a departing HST from a station platform, when I was a lad, I used to cover my ears with my hands as the sound (especially from the rear power car) was so loud!!! 

• RMweb Premium

The sound of a 66 yinging away into the distance as it means I have finally got off the ru**y thing and am going home!

Alternatively a 50 on full power or a Deltic starting up when you are stood by the nameplate.

50 on sleeper trains leaving Plymouth station, I won't forget that ever

• RMweb Premium

A pair of Class 33's at full tilt.

The compressors on 4-CIG and 4-VEP stock with their distinctive sound and the thundering noise they made beneath your feet when sat inside the MBSO motor car.

• RMweb Gold

It's very hard to choose a favourite sound, I think I too would have to go for all the sounds associated with the railway, especially back in steam days.

Living about 3.5 miles from the ECML in Northumberland when there is a very light westerly breeze I can sometimes hear the 91s hooting for a foot crossing just south of Cramlington, especially nice if I haven't been out train watching for a few days.  When I first moved up here there were still a few Deltic workings, I used to hear those too.

• RMweb Premium

It does seem that Class 37 drivers, particularly current day DRS employed ones seem to enjoy their work and like to put on a bit of a show if the number of clagging thashing and horn sounding clips on YouTube are to be believed... :sungum:

Keep up the good work guys... :locomotive:

Possibly the most promising sound while out in the country linesiding in summer was the 'whistle' of the wire and the 'clonk-a-DONK' as the nearby semaphore came off.

Followed by the really deep bass fundamental of an approaching fast steam hauled service hauled by a 3 cylinder loco equipped with a Kylchap or other ejector exhaust.

An A4 chime whistle as the garnish.

In the winter with a hard frost and no wind, hearing the trains literally for miles. Happily every now and again a steam service on the ECML runs in the right conditions and I can still hear it from just North of Hatfield to about Robbery Bottom viaduct - either direction - provided it is being worked hard.

The mighty drone (Deltic) did at least have most entertaining diesel repertoire of all time, to slightly compensate for the loss of the glory that went before; and could similarly signal its passage for miles about.

In a manual signalbox, the call attention bell for the last train of the day.

With a locomotive, a class 66 ticking over to itself and a Deltic pulling away from a station stop.

Even better is train out of section for the last train, then 7-5-5 and the sound of your own feet going down the steps.

Andy

For me:-

Class 40's

Deltics

but my favourite was the original Valenta engined HST's starting out of Edinburgh Waverley southbound. If you stood at the departure end of the platform you got the front power car revving up but by the time the rear one passed you it was on full power...

It's very hard to choose a favourite sound, I think I too would have to go for all the sounds associated with the railway, especially back in steam days.

Living about 3.5 miles from the ECML in Northumberland when there is a very light westerly breeze I can sometimes hear the 91s hooting for a foot crossing just south of Cramlington, especially nice if I haven't been out train watching for a few days.  When I first moved up here there were still a few Deltic workings, I used to hear those too.

The foot crossing is at Dudley I think, near the back of the Chemical Plant. I live 0.1 miles from the ECML a bit further up the line so very used to hearing 91's, too young to have heard the deltics though sadly.

Archived