Post war 100hp Sentinel

Hallo James,

That's the 'Sirena' 5" locomotive James - which was actually the first thing we looked at (to base our Sentinel loco design on) however we wanted something a bit nearer to scale and decided Sirena wasn't a good basis for that. However - for anyone wanting a live steam passenger hauler, then it's an excellent use of a Stuart Twin. Station Road came up on the ME website recently, because they also have a very unusual 8-cylinder uniflow engined version of a 5" Sentinel on their site at the moment. That engine might involve a bit more work than a Stuart Twin though.

Nice photos of the NRM engine - I don't think we found these when we were looking for them a few years back, although we certainly found quite a few - and there was one of the NRM engine that I found particularly useful (not sure where it came from now - so I'd best not post it here).  What scale is the Sentinel model shown on your link?

This was one of our two 'test build' engines back in early 2015, which we took to our (G3S) AGM that year, It's at about the same stage as your one in the photo & before we had the spring/axle/torsion rod castings finished to dress the frame with. They do kind of grow on you!  :-)

Regards,

IanT

1945078651_G3AGM2015030.JPG.04c1b17af640f0f99eb66032090f6ab5.JPG

Edited by IanT
  • Like 1

Mine is one of the Impetus kits, it sits about 2/3rd completed because I decided on P4 for it...and its the only P4 that I have.  The last work I did on it was in 2012, when I spent 2 months in Norfolk Va in a hotel room...

(I was there learning all about UNREP/RAS, as I was going to be HMCS Protecteur's new RAS Deck PO, but never ended up back before the fire- so Derick kept his job...)

James

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 04/03/2020 at 11:17, IanT said:

With regards to drawings, whilst I won't publish the CAD files, I do have G3 scaled drawings (as A4 PDFs) that were distributed to various G3S members during the project development that would give a good leg up to a builder in any scale. Please post a request on the G3S Website's 'Contact Us' page if you'd like a copy ( I can manage one or two requests - hopefully I won't be inundated ).

Regards,

IanT

Many thanks to Ian T for sharing the drawing which is very well executed and full of detail.

//Simon