"Great Northern" 60113 7mm kitbash...best starting point?

So......for my next query, one for the LNER experts.

What loco would be the best starting point to end up with a 7mm model of Great Northern as she was in BR days as number 60113, around 1960?

And what of a tender?

I've thought that starting with the DJH A2/3 might be best? But my knowledge of the intricacies isn't what it might be.

And as an aside to this, can someone point me at a source that will explain the differences between the boilers and tenders fitted to LNER classes? I would like to be able to recognise what's what, but struggle.......Online if possible, but I will buy the relevant book(s) if necessary.

TIA

4mm version from a Hornby A3 it will give you some ideas. The A2/3 will not have the correct Tender.

http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2443&start=1935

You need a non streamlined ,non corridor 1935 type Tender easy to spot as prominent water overflow pipes behind front bulkhead. Hornby use them on A3's Windsor Lad and The White Knight as examples

So where would I start for a 7mm one Mick?

DJH A3? Finney A3?

Andrews A3?

See, here's my "logic", and maybe my lack of knowledge: didn't 60113 have the same wheelbase as the Thompson pacifics, or did it have 6' 8" wheels?

And an A2/3 has the right valvegear?

You could do what Thompson did, start with an A1 and throw most of it away!

The new frames were based on the A4; while the A2/3 has the same look of having the driving wheels squidged together the A2/3 had 6' 2'' wheels rather than 6' 8' of the A1. Therefore you will have to accept having the wrong sized wheels or use an A3, A4 or A1 as a basis.

As for the state she was in in 1960 see the second photo on this webpage.

http://www.lner.info/locos/A/a1_1.shtml

An A3 will present the best starting point I think in 7mm.

For the record, 60113's non corridor tender was closer to an A4's in one respect, and that was straight edged side sheets at the cab end as opposed the curved ends of the A3s, however was in all other respects more or less a standard non corridor A3 tender.

The wheelbase of 60113 from the front driving wheels backwards is identical to both A3 and A4 Pacifics, so using an A3 or A4 chassis and lengthening the frames is the best way to go.

You will need, however, an A3 boiler with the A4 washout plugs and mudhole door arrangements, as 60113 carried what was essentially an A4 boiler.

Looking at Graeme King's modifications to a 4mm Hornby A3 may help to visualise better what you would need to do in the larger scale. Start reading here.

I should point out that the rear cartazzi arrangement of the Peppercorn A1 is different to both A3 and A4 (the gap between the steps and the cartazzi is longer) and therefore is not appropriate for making an accurate A1/1 model. Only the wheelbase of an A3 or A4 would be appropriate for 60113. 

Archived