Dapol N Gauge Schools Class

DapolDave

• RMweb Gold

What with the Bulleid Pacifics and now this, think i'll just post my credit card off to Dapol!

Looks like a solid start, the only thing that stands out at the moment is lack of grab holes in the deflectors and perhaps the upper cab sides angle in a little too much, but other than that it's looking pretty good to me!

Thanks Dave!

Tom.

• RMweb Gold

My first impression is that it looks pretty good. I initially thought that the chimney appeared too tall and possibly too fat but might a result of the 3D cad angle of view as it looks better in the lower Cad images than it does in the first image.

Like Tom I am not sure the cab angle or the side window position is correct I cant quite put my finger on what it is though. The first 10 members of the class had a lower cab window, where the base of the window was very close to the change in change side angle leaving a larger distance between the top of the window and the cab side top line of rivets. The latter built members used the same window but positioned higher up and therefore the top edge was closer to the rivet line and a larger gap between the base of the window and the cab side angle change line. I am not sure what variant this cab is trying to represent as it appears to me to be a slight mix of the two. It is worth looks at the two styles relative to both the cab side angle change line , the top line of rivets and with the cab front window.

Edited by Graham_Muz

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've resisted the urge to collect the Southern as well, but with this I'm sorely tempted! 

My first thought was that the smokebox door looked a bit too "coned". Looking at pictures of the real thing, it does definitely come to a cone shape in the middle, but the images above give the impression it might be a bit too prominent? Or is that just a result of the render in grey?

Either way, looking great!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

although I am no Southern expert, It looks really good! I have already pre ordered one. will you be modelling both types of tender? as far as I know, there were only a few with the extra high sides. 

IIRC there was only a single high sided tender (which got swapped between locos in late BR days due to a painting mix up). I don't know when it was extended but I believe it was after Maunsell had left the SR.

Repton's high sided tender is a preservation era creation - it never ran like that under SR or BR ownership.

In late BR days there are reports of some locos receiving boogie tenders off withdrawn Nelson's / Arthur's but this was not common practice

Edited by phil-b259

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Nice to see this progressing, although looking at that CAD image those washout plugs seem much to high on the boiler, even allowing for the angle the CAD is shown at. Looking at images of the real thing, they should be slightly below the top of the cab side window.

In fact looking at the CAD images shown at the top of the page, it looks like the deflectors are too tall (the top of these should be on the same level as the hand rails) which is pushing all the associated boiler fittings up higher than they should be.

Tom.

• 1 year later...

This seems to have dropped off the radar. Anyone know what's happening ?

Oops ! Just found it on Dapols website. Due 4th Q 2015 apparently. If that happens I'll be very happy, although I'd prefer it in olive green which doesn't seem to be offered in the initial batch.

Edited by GNR Dave

• RMweb Gold

I can confirm that work has been progressing in the background as I have provided some comments back to RW at Dapol correcting the revised CADS a few months ago now, along with providing additional information on their proposed variations, and it is my understanding that these have now been incorporated and the CADS finalised.

I do not however know if tooling has commenced, or if, not when it is planned to.

Oops ! Just found it on Dapols website. Due 4th Q 2015 apparently. If that happens I'll be very happy, although I'd prefer it in olive green which doesn't seem to be offered in the initial batch.

Osborns are commissioning a ltd. edition and are taking votes on whether to do Malachite or Olive green.

http://www.osbornsmodels.com/osborns-Dapol-exclusive-sr-schools-4-4-0-cheltenham-lined-green-22677-p.asp