Dapol N Gauge Schools Class

DapolDave

Cheltenham Model Centre have received a paint sample of their commissioned 'Cheltenham' Dapol Schools. Unfortunately they were expecting it in Maunsell Green and not Malachite as shown here, and it will be corrected for production, which from my point of view is a massive shame as this is exactly what I need for Ropley!!

Anyway, these are the best images of the Schools I have seen to date. 

attachicon.gifcheltenham2.jpg

Tom. 

Hi Tom,

Do you mean Osborns Models - especially as the images appear to be those on Osborns website?

http://www.osbornsmodels.com/osborns-Dapol-exclusive-sr-schools-4-4-0-cheltenham-lined-green-22677-p.asp

I know CMC would be a logical choice but I see no mention of 'Cheltenham' on their website.

Looks a really nice model though and thanks for mentioning it.

Cheers,

Ixion.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tom,

Do you mean Osborns Models - especially as the images appear to be those on Osborns website?

http://www.osbornsmodels.com/osborns-Dapol-exclusive-sr-schools-4-4-0-cheltenham-lined-green-22677-p.asp

I know CMC would be a logical choice but I see no mention of 'Cheltenham' on their website.

Looks a really nice model though and thanks for mentioning it.

Cheers,

Ixion.

Whoops!

Yes, that should have read Osborns. Corrected now. 

Tom.  

Just as long as it is not one of these..... :P

lemons.jpg

In all seriousness, this is not the first time Dapol have had detail issues with steamer liveries. They nearly produced a Manor in lined GWR livery once.  :huh:

Dapol seem to have decided to base their model on this photo, regardless of the limitations it places. Whilst working from photos to produce accurate models is good, it does require an understanding of the prototype livery details so that you understand whether what you are reproducing is the rule or the exception.

mm_30921.jpg

But Dapol and the dealers continue to advertise the BR version of 30921which I picture below.

So if Dapol advertised the lemon you show above then we should expect a lime!  :no:

post-1590-0-72280300-1461918201.jpg

• 1 month later...

The Schools class has slipped down the thread list quite significantly since finished samples were displayed at last year's Warley show and an expectation along with adverts that it would be available early in the year.

The Dapol website shows that the 'launch' is now scheduled for June 2016. Now that we are in June is there any news . . . . ?

G

The Schools class has slipped down the thread list quite significantly since finished samples were displayed at last year's Warley show and an expectation along with adverts that it would be available early in the year.

The Dapol website shows that the 'launch' is now scheduled for June 2016. Now that we are in June is there any news . . . . ?

G

A comment by Joel on the Dapol Group Facebook page would indicate they are on the boat.

Someone on the N Gauge Forum (I forget who) has posted a pretty picture of a production Schools he has purchased, and very nice it looks too.  I assume this one was airfreighted.

Given the variation in shipping times from China (profit comes before a direct route) they could appear any time within the next few weeks.

Les

• RMweb Gold

I've also heard it's fairly imminent. There are some photos over on the N Gauge Forum (here) of the revised Osbourne's Ltd Edition Cheltenham in the correct Maunsell Green. 

Tom.  

• 2 weeks later...

Dapol are hopeless at making clear what they are going to produce !

The livery of the BR Black Schools loco on the Dapol Website (and those of big online shops) is described as:

2S-002-002 Schools 30921 Shrewsbury BR Lined Black small early logo

and this is what I pre-ordered.  

30921 did have this livery in the mid 1950s (as on the Hornby 00 locos) but all the photos of Dapol pre-production models shows the (ugly) early 50s livery with lining all around the tender and a large BR logo. 

I wonder what is going to be produced.....

Ian

As I suspected, the Dapol website still describes the BR black version as "SCHOOLS #921 'Shrewsbury' BR Lined Black small early logo" but the photo just published on the Hattons website shows it has the large BR logo - which I don't want. I've cancelled my pre-order.

• RMweb Gold

As I suspected, the Dapol website still describes the BR black version as "SCHOOLS #921 'Shrewsbury' BR Lined Black small early logo" but the photo just published on the Hattons website shows it has the large BR logo - which I don't want. I've cancelled my pre-order.

The new Dapol Digest has photos of the production samples

https://digest.Dapol.co.uk/filedata/fetch?photoid=536

If the loco name, number and livery are what you want why not consider simply changing the logo? At least that will be all that you need to sort out and I'd have thought that they are unlikely to also provide the same loco but with a different logo.

G. 

If the loco name, number and livery are what you want why not consider simply changing the logo? At least that will be all that you need to sort out and I'd have thought that they are unlikely to also provide the same loco but with a different logo.

G. 

My point was mainly that for around 3 years Dapol have stated the BR black Bulleid chimney version  would have the BR black livery with the small logo and I'm annoyed they didn't describe accurately what they are going to produce.

To change this it's more than just a logo change. Schools in BR black with the small logo had different tender lining (applied only to the vertical part of the tender side) so that would have to be changed as well. See the photographs of the full size BR  Shrewsbury in both liveries earlier in this thread. 

Ian

My point was mainly that for around 3 years Dapol have stated the BR black Bulleid chimney version  would have the BR black livery with the small logo and I'm annoyed they didn't describe accurately what they are going to produce.

To change this it's more than just a logo change. Schools in BR black with the small logo had different tender lining (applied only to the vertical part of the tender side) so that would have to be changed as well. See the photographs of the full size BR  Shrewsbury in both liveries earlier in this thread. 

Ian

Manufacturers are always entitled to change the specification of goods, particularly of products that are not even produced. Getting annoyed won't change that or make any difference.

And to me it still seems rather churlish to cancel, even if there is also a little lining on the tender to alter. It's a little like 'cutting off one's nose to spite one's face' as, if it is something you wanted, you'll now go without. There have been plenty of locos, produced by all manner of manufacturers, that weren't exactly in the livery or name/number I wanted (that's the way things are) but I made the effort to alter them where able.

But, of course, it's entirely up to you. Just a shame you won't be able to enjoy what you want.

G

Ian

Can I suggest instead of complaining on here where Dapol don't listen, you register for Digest Dapol and politely ask the question about the livery. It may also be a good idea to then ask if the livery you want will be produced in the next batch all be it with a different running number and name. They may be open to suggestions on livery options and details particularly if you have a picture that they do not. 

• RMweb Premium

My 'Shrewsbury' has arrived intact--it looks great and I look forward to 'Repton' in due course. The large-diameter chimney does rather highlight the solid nature of the moulding here though--who's going to first to drill it out?

It really does look a lovely model and I look forward to reading the reviews.

I fear though that this may well be the first SR / BR(S) loco that I won't buy (immediately at any rate) due in no small part to price rises in recent years.  Rails and Hattons are listing the DCC fitted versions for £137 - I presume that's with the maximum discount applied.  Normally I wouldn't baulk (too much) at that, but the 33 and 4MT are due in the coming months (which will cost £120-130 each when DCC fitted) and they're both above the Schools in the 'must have' list.  Also, I've just shelled out for the excellent Bulleid 3 coach set as well as quite a lot of track, point motors etc for a partial rebuild of the layout.  

This is more a lament than a grumble about prices (I certainly don't want to revive that debate), there's just been a lot of extremely tempting new releases for the southern modeller in the last couple of years and  it's all getting really quite expensive.   

Of course, the minute I actually see one in the flesh my iron resolve will inevitably crumble and before you can say "do you know if they're planning to release the Maunsell coaches 6 pack in BR green?" the plastic will be out of the wallet.

Mark