Dapol N Gauge Schools Class

DapolDave

• RMweb Gold

My 'Malvern' arrived this morning. 

First impressions are favourable, lovely finish, fine detail and a short run along a length of Kato Unitrack suggests nice smooth running. 

Not being a fan of traction tyres i'm slightly disappointed that one set of main wheels is fitted with them, although the model does feel quite light in comparison to some of the recent Fairsh models, so they are perhaps necessary. 

It'll be a little while before I can DCC mine and give it a run on Ropley, but I have to say I think this could well be Dapol's best N Gauge steam model to date. 

post-1467-0-29282900-1467976559_thumb.jpg

post-1467-0-53463500-1467976564_thumb.jpg

Now to find some 'Cheltenham' plates & numbers for it! 

Tom. 

• Like 8

With mine I seem to have poor (forward) running full stop. Even on the straight. It feels as though part of the motion is getting slightly jammed on 'some' revolutions of the wheels but not all. The loco struggles to force through this for a moment or two and then it frees up. At very slow speed of course, it just stops, but on higher power it runs smoothly with the occasional lurch through this sticky bit. No idea what to do about it. I can't visually see any thing wrong.

A gentleman at my church's group has bought the Dapol Schools class, and has had problems.  He tested it on second radius carves, and it would not go round properly.  Also, when he looked underneath, he found what sounded like bent gearing.  He sent the loco back to where he bought it, and they sent another, that had the same problem.

The track has been checked, and yes it is all fine (and it is 100% second radius), so it does sound like there could be a problem with the locomotive design, other Dapol locomotives he has had, have had problems.  He had to send back two Britannia pacifics because their undersides kept hitting points and crossings.

• RMweb Gold

I've had mine running through various permutations of Kato unitrack and not experienced any derailments or poor running. I've even been able to fit the front steps, with the small modification of placing them slightly closer to the edge of the running board, without any issues on the Kato curves, which I think are more or less equivalent to 2nd radius.

Tom.

Edited by TomE

The track has been checked, and yes it is all fine (and it is 100% second radius), so it does sound like there could be a problem with the locomotive design,

I'd suggest that, if there are examples that people have that run fine, then any problems he might have had are more likely to be an assembly issue, damage problem or a track issue, rather than a design issue.

However, why not report it on the Dapols forum for comment from the manufacturer. And let us know.

G.

It has been reported that when the loco derails, it bends the con-rod due to the valve gear falling in line with the bogie wheel. The valve gear used on Dapol steam locos is very thin indeed and the joint on the union link and crosshead arm is fairly bulky. Would love to get a Schools but holding back for now.

https://digest.Dapol.co.uk/forum/schools/project-managers-blog-ad/463-n-schools-opening-post/page2

I've had mine running through various permutations of Kato unitrack and not experienced any derailments or poor running. I've even been able to fit the front steps, with the small modification of placing them slightly closer to the edge of the running board, without any issues on the Kato curves, which I think are more or less equivalent to 2nd radius.

Tom.

Kato  curves  are  available  in  many  radii  from   around 6" ( Tramways)  to  around  36+"   It  would be  helpful to  know  which  you  are  using  ( The  radius  is printed  underneath  each  section  in MM)

Such a pity  to  read  all these  problems,  the  schools  looks  good,  but  why  cant   Dapol  produce something  that  runs  well  or  at  least  perhaps  check  the  manufacturing/assembly  standards?

Other  manufacturers  don't  seem  to  have so  many   problems,  I have been  into  N  Gauge   for   many  years ( early  70s  the PECO Jubilee Years) and now  there  is  one  manufacturer  whose  locos  I avoid.

Edited by Stevelewis

Kato  curves  are  available  in  many  radii  from   around 6" ( Tramways)  to  around  36+"   It  would be  helpful to  know  which  you  are  using  ( The  radius  is printed  underneath  each  section  in MM)

Such a pity  to  read  all these  problems,  the  schools  looks  good,  but  why  cant   Dapol  produce something  that  runs  well  or  at  least  perhaps  check  the  manufacturing/assembly  standards?

Other  manufacturers  don't  seem  to  have so  many   problems,  I have been  into  N  Gauge   for   many  years ( early  70s  the PECO Jubilee Years) and now  there  is  one  manufacturer  whose  locos  I avoid.

Having watched a School going around and around all morning with no issues at the NGS AGM today I can say a few complaints do not make a bad loco. For every 1 complaint on here they're may be 10 or more happy customers, who don't shout about not having issues. Several have however come on here and reported no issues and said how happy they are with the loco.

Having watched a School going around and around all morning with no issues at the NGS AGM today I can say a few complaints do not make a bad loco. For every 1 complaint on here they're may be 10 or more happy customers, who don't shout about not having issues. Several have however come on here and reported no issues and said how happy they are with the loco.

And, of course, the 'reports' about problems on curves seem to be all 'heresay' with no first hand confirmation of the condition of the track or the radius. After all Dapol have said that their tender locos are only designed to operate properly down to 2nd radius (10.5").

Sure there is always going to be a few genuine problems with a few models, but then what manufacture doesn't have them? And then it's a matter of returning it to the retailer for replacement or refund.

G

A quote direct from Dapol's page on this one:

"Our models are designed and tested to run optimally on an average layout, however certain restrictions must apply. This model (and all other Locomotive models with tender) produced by Dapol and other manufacturers are not intended for use on curves of less than R2 - 263.5mm (10 3/8in). The assumption is made that track is correctly laid on a firm, level baseboard and that all rail joints are snug and no gaps exist between rail sections. Operating your model on tighter radii or on substandard track has a greater likelihood of poor running or derailment which may lead to damage. Care in running and reasonable speed control is always needed with any model. Worthy of note is that Peco set-track points are R1 228mm (9in) therefore low speeds should be maintained it you choose to operate your model over this type of turnout."

Wonder how many folks are running these on 1st radius curves and then experiencing trouble? Worth noting the above if you have purchased, or intend to.

I await the arrival of mine with interest, but don't anticipate any problems.

Cheers,

Alan

• RMweb Gold

A further update from Dapol:

Pre and Post production testing has shown that the issue is not that the model derails without reason. Overall, this model is probably the best I personally have used at staying on the rails.
However derailments are inevitable, more so on tighter curves. This particular model can be a little tricky to seat the pony on the track correctly (been there, done that!),.
With the Schools a larger than usual proportion of our customers are stating that they operate on R1 curves; it's been an unwritten and poorly publicised 'fact' that models are designed for R2 curves, this is being corrected (see post above). All future models (locos & rolling stock) will have minimum recommended radius printed on the label (see example below).
Remember just because the recommended radius is R2 doesn't mean it will not run on R1, but it does mean compromises may need to be made regarding running speed and general care (track cleaning etc.) I have very successfully run the Schools on R1 track at maximum speed (also around a passing loop formed from two R1 Peco setrack points) The coaches couldn't stay on due to centrifugal force and toppled, but the loco ran like a champ. However, I do not Recommend running on R1 or at full speed!

The issue is that if the model derails and more especially derails at speed, or is run with the front bogie off the track then the possibility of valve gear damage may exist.
In short, it seems that maximum speed derailments may cause an issue (testing 1 of 12 forced high speed derailments caused a problem, and 1 of 20 'incorrect operation' tests [moving off with front bogie not sitting on the rails] caused a problem - in all but continued, forced operation no mechanical damage occurred). Of course this experiment would vary, dependent on the track condition. Our test track is best described as below average - purposefully!

Rather than debating 'fault' we have offered those few customers who have reported this problem replacements and, despite the small proportion of reports we are actively working on options to improve.
We have identified a couple of options and are testing these to ensure that there are no side effects. This process will take a short while. In the meantime there are many satisfied owners and (as with any detailed scale model) it should be handled, operated and run in keeping with consideration to the its being a detailed scale model.

I think Dapol should be commended for their response to this, especially given the minuscule number of reports relative to the production run, and the fact they have no control over the end users standard of trackwork or their control of the model. 

I've finally had mine out on Ropley, and even through 2mm FS plain track and my own somewhat Heath Robinson pointwork, it ran like it was glued to the rails. 

Tom.  

Edited by TomE
  • Like 1

I have "Shrewsbury" and "Repton".  I tested "Shrewsbury" on my test track which contains some radius 1 curves and did, indeed, find a locking problem.  On running the loco on my layout, minimum radius 10.5ins, I experienced no problems.  Both locos perform exceptionally well.  This has got to be one of Dapol's best yet.

• Like 1

A retailer has suggested to me that he has had a few returned due to poor running on curves - has anyone experienced this?

Gary

Mine didn't work on straight track, is a none runner and been returned. valve gear was all bent & seized up

Neil

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...