Cardiff Canton, The second coming

steve fay

The best place for this might be the 2013 challenge section but it hasn't been started yet.

im bursting to get modelling so I've just got my self a 6 foot x 2 foot piece of ply to have a go at a little project. I always prefer to model somewhere based on a real location so I've chosen Cardiff Canton, Now this isn't a scale model by any stretch and will only include a small section of the main shed area and the tracks in front where locos where prepared for the days work.

the main purpose of the diorama is some where to photograph my locos and to practise my modelling for Ranelagh Bridge. I was intending to do the entrance to Severn tunnel but I don't have the room for a 20 foot layout in the house but this one is manageable.

My Dad is going to scratch build the buildings I have some peco points and track and I'm going to get a few lengths of C and L. The good thing about canton is the track is so filthy you can barely make out the chairs.

A friend is having a model show in Newport in May so I would like to get some thing presentable by then. I do intend on making it as an exhibition layout with a fascia and lighting. The track plan is very simple but does follow the prototype. My locos for Ranelagh are all going to be used as there Cardiff engines.

The shopping list is 4 lengths of C&L , 4 Water cranes, 3 timber track laser cut inspection pits & ballasting and weathering materials.

I will post a track plan up soon.

Edited by steve fay
Edit title
  • Like 5

post-5983-0-68959000-1359058437.jpg

This is what I want to achieve,  The North light engine shed & The footbridge tell you exactly where it is and its these sorts of cameos I would like to recreate.

The engine shed will only be one bay deep so will be low relief so to speak.

I think this should be doable in the space available.

Really looking forward to getting going on this, I need to get modelling again its been quite some time.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifcastles on canton.jpg

This is what I want to achieve,  The North light engine shed & The footbridge tell you exactly where it is and its these sorts of cameos I would like to recreate.

The engine shed will only be one bay deep so will be low relief so to speak.

I think this should be doable in the space available.

Really looking forward to getting going on this, I need to get modelling again its been quite some time.

Nice project Steve and what an excellent photo too. :)

• Like 2

I've completed the track plan on the ply, All drawn out in thick marker with a bit of help from my daughters! Buildings, bridge, steps, inspection pits the lot.

The king, Castle and Brit are all sat on there to see how they will look.

It's a pity I can't post a picture up from the iPad but I will take a picture and post up soon.

It's very compact but even just as pen lines it is looking quite good.

I'm trying to decide whether a moody sky scene is the best for a back scene especially with low angle photographs or something painted.

• Like 2

Steve

I think the diorama concept is a brilliant way of showing off your superb locomotives. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this develops. Can't wait to see the pictures.

Presumably, you will be able to have a Canton Western (when it arrives) and a Canton Hymek as well as your steamers?

Stephen

• Like 1

Stephen

A western and a hymek are a must. The first ones arrived before the sheds closure to steam.

Canton is good because LM saltney locos where daily visitors along with Shrewsbury jubilees and in 1962 longsight rebuilt scots and patriots visited. I think I'm getting ahead of my self now. Oh and crosti 9Fs, Stop now Steve you just spent about 15K

Track plan is ready although I can't seem to find the charger for my lap top! Hopefully my good lady wife will no where it is and I will post it up later.

Steve

• Like 1

Looking forward to seeing this come together, nothing better than the industrial atmosphere of a steam shed.

All dirt and grime but still running like a Swiss watch.

Martyn.

Edited by 3 link
  • Like 3

My dad has kindly donated me the coaling stage off 86F which has now been dismantled. I will need to cut out the door way to floor level as this is the now disused coaling stage.

post-5983-0-77625700-1359670144_thumb.jpg

As it is now

post-5983-0-23157200-1359670203_thumb.jpg

And the modified original stage at Canton.

Im going to frame up the board next week and order some inspection kit pits from C & L along with a few pieces of track.

Edited by steve fay
  • Like 12

A box arrived today containing some C&L track and some chairs plus some dummy fish plates.

I've been comparing it to a couple of lengths of Peco I have. The Peco isn't that bad really, I've cut all of the plastic joining bits out of the way and respaced the sleepers to match the C & L and this is a big improvement.

I'm going to use the Peco where the track is at its dirtiest and practically covered up to the chairs.

Work is getting in the way of modelling this week so might get some track laid next week.

• Like 3

A sick child has given me a few hours off this morning, So I decided to attack the coaling stage,

post-5983-0-48354700-1360238407_thumb.jpg

When Canton was rebuilt in the 30s a new coaling stage and turn table where installed at the rear of the shed leaving the original coaling stage redundant. It was only dismantled late last year. The opening was extended down to rail level so the one line can go right through.

It isnt 100% accurate but it will do just fine for this project.

I do intend on building some fiddle yard or traverser for either side but not until the main board is further along.

C & L dont do the inspection kits any more so Im going to scratch build them instaed. Im going to use the C & L chairs and do the whole base of the shed area in 3mm ply, Cut out the well and fix the chairs direct to the ply and then feed the rails in.

Edited by steve fay
  • Like 7

I do intend on building some fiddle yard or traverser for either side but not until the main board is further along.

C & L dont do the inspection kits any more so Im going to scratch build them instaed. Im going to use the C & L chairs and do the whole base of the shed area in 3mm ply, Cut out the well and fix the chairs direct to the ply and then feed the rails in.

Hello Steve,

What about using some 3mm MDF instead of 3mm ply, the MDF wood (sorry it should be would) have no grain to hide not like ply and could look more like the concrete that would have been used. The chairs should stick to it like they would to the Ply. Or you could use some of the Peco track over the top of the pits with the middle and the ends of the sleepers cut off. You would have to fill in the gaps between the "sleepers" but you could then use the C&L chairs where you would see them better.

OzzyO. 

Hi Steve,

An excellent project, will observe with interest! Things like this get my 7mm juices flowing again.

I know what you mean about "must get some modelling done" too, if you don't do anything for a while, you get urges!

Cheers,

John E.

I get urges, sorry wrong web site.

OzzyO.

• Like 2

Only issue with MDF is getting it in 3 mm sheets where as I can get 3mm ply with a good surface. 3mm MDF might just start warping once all the sand goes on with the glue.

The shed area was so sh!tty that you can barley make out if it was concrete or not. Ash soot coal and crap every where.

Keep up the madness.