Cardiff Canton, The second coming

steve fay

post-5983-0-35058900-1415562952_thumb.jpg

Here's the final shot from the Wycrail show and the final shot of Canton in its current incarnation.

So there we go all in just under 2 years.

I hope some of you have taken inspiration from this project.

The Hall's do look really good in lined Black.

• Like 8

Hi Steve

I have certainly had Inspiration from this layout - I have used your ballast technique with Kiln Dried Sand, resulting in what I think are superb results.

Always enjoy your threads, keep them coming.

Cheers, Bob.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I visited the Pontypool & Blaenavon railway today as they had a model railway show on, great little show and I took my Brittania along for a run. I got talking to an older chap who it turns out had ordered a masterpiece Brittania. About 20 minutes in to the conversation I asked how he had got in to 7mm and he said seeing a Britannia on the front cover of Model Rail some time back. So out came the phone and I showed him the shots Chris Nevard had took of Canton to see if it was this project and indeed it was!!

He was very pleased to have met the person who built it and I was very pleased that this little layout has given so many people inspiration.

It just goes to show what can be done in a small space in O

Edited by steve fay
  • Like 7

• 1 month later...

OK chaps I would like your opinions, a while ago I said I was intending to coat the pit sides in a concrete finishattachicon.gifimage.jpg

I'm thinking of using Concrete wall No 2 from the above range. I can't decide whether it would be to much of a contrast or whether to just weather the sides with more black powders.

What do you think?

Hi Steve,  Great model.  I am just catching up.  Which make are the concrete papers, etc?  Thanks, Art

• 4 years later...
On 24/01/2013 at 20:20, steve fay said:

post-5983-0-68959000-1359058437.jpg

This is what I want to achieve,  The North light engine shed & The footbridge tell you exactly where it is and its these sorts of cameos I would like to recreate.

The engine shed will only be one bay deep so will be low relief so to speak.

I think this should be doable in the space available.

Really looking forward to getting going on this, I need to get modelling again its been quite some time.

I’ve thoroughly enjoyed building the current crop of shed layouts and there’s more to come  and as it will be a few years before I’ll have the stock to operate Sonning I’ve decided to revisit an old friend! So we will come full circle and go back to the start for me in 7mm scale,  I’ll be resurrecting Cardiff Canton, A little different this time in that it will include all 6 shed roads, still utilising a low relief engine shed it will grow from 6’ x 2 of the original to 6’ x 3’ it will also be viewable from 3 sides with a cassette fed fiddle yard behind the shed itself.  This will allow for unbroken panoramic views instead of the usual side on approach.  The iconic bridge will be scratch built again and populated with spotters and photographers.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• steve fay changed the title to Cardiff Canton, The second coming

Any members with knowledge of Canton Steam shed could you please shine any info on what this plate reads?  
This is my guess 

Warning 
The footbridge leading on to De Crouche place is the only proper way for workmen coming to and leaving duty, Any man  disregarding This rule will be liable to dismissal. 
Many thanks and does anyone have any pictures of the building the plate is attached to 
There seems to be an opening below the window,  last time I did a best guess,  I’d like to get it a little more accurate this time.

1C81EC8B-754D-44F6-B00F-357CD61AD50E.png

Edited by steve fay
  • Like 1

I've no local knowledge, so can't work out the place name, but I guess a map would get that, the rest of it, by by squinting and generally messing with the image, I make it out to be

'Notice  The footbridge leading onto wherever place is the only proper way for workmen coming to and leaving duty. Any man disregarding this sign will be liable to dismissal.'

I guess it means it's ok to use the bridge if you are not a workman, or if you are but not going on or off shift. I think it doesn't say what they mean to say. I think you should up-date the message it to make it more 'inclusive' ...

• Like 1

I suspect the sign was put in place so that workmen did not attempt to cross from the depôt to De Crouche Place over the railway tracks themselves - 'elf'n'safety' innit.

As an add-on, I wonder if the sign was directed specifically at non-railway personnel?

Edited by Philou
Add-on
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Johnster certainly read this or a very similar notice back in the day, the 1970s, as a Canton freight guard.  The bridge is well known to railwaymen and enthusiasts in the Cardiff area, and is, as is suggested by the notice, the official route for those entering or leaving the shed in the course of their railway duties.  De Croche Place still leads to it, and to the 'South Wales Signalling Centre' on the site of the old Brunel Canton Goods Shed.  Johnster's memory does not extend to the details of the building, sorry Steve!

The footbridge spans the South Wales Main Line, which at this point, counting from the shed side, is down relief, down main, up main, up relief, and up goods.  it also spans the shed road leading off the reception road which leads alongside the running shed building to the rear of the shed, and the siding leading into Canton Goods .  That is 5 very busy running roads, two of them quite fast, and two sidings, not a safe place to cross and the reason for the footbridge!  These days it is permanently locked and caged in at the de Croche place end and cannot be accessed without an entry smartcard, but for many years played host to spotters as it gave an excellent view over the running lines, the running shed yard, and the Maintenance Depot yard, as well as the carriage shed entrance, North Curve, and Penarth/Barry lines beyond.  Prior to the shed's reconstruction as a diesel depot in the early 60s, it continued across the shed yard to the carriage shed, which is at a higher level.  In the up direction, the western end of the platforms of Cardiff Central can be seen, and in the down, the Leckwith Road bridge and a little way beyond it, about a mile of track in all.

It was never a public footbridge, indeed it only led to the depot and was not part of any route to anywhere, and spotters on it were trespassing, but were generally tolerated if they did not come down the steps into the shed proper and generally behaved themselves.  The shed also has road vehicle access at the western end, off Leckwith Road in between the two railway bridges that span this road here, carrying the SWML and the 'City Line'.  The footbridge was of course part of the official walking route from Canton shed to Cardiff Central (formerly General) station, and is therefore known to traincrew from far and wide who work to Cardiff. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

Thanks for the reply, I remember having a good few hours on the bridge with my dad as a kid in the early 90’s 

I will have to guess the building and then once it’s done a picture will turn up ! 

• Agree 1