Cardiff Canton, The second coming

steve fay

Great photos.........but there's something about the light that shows they are digital.

No way did you usually get light like that on a steam shed! It's almost Provencale.....Vincent would love it.

They are lovely photos. But to much computer work done. The dark shadows have all been lightened so they no longer look as your eyes see. Unfortunately over work of photos is far to common. Next time you look at real locos just note how dark parts in the shadows really are.

Edited for repeating myself.

Edited by N15class

There is a tendency to over-sharpen and lighten digital photos in the editing shop. I always try to get the exposure and composition right when I take the shot rather rely on editing to correct faults. I suppose the discipline of almost 25 years of shooting colour transparencies instilled that sort of discipline.  

• RMweb Premium

There is a tendency to over-sharpen and lighten digital photos in the editing shop. I always try to get the exposure and composition right when I take the shot rather rely on editing to correct faults. I suppose the discipline of almost 25 years of shooting colour transparencies instilled that sort of discipline.

I wonder if there's a tendency for the big publishing houses to treat all subject matter the same. Models (human variety) and food seem to be brightly lit and the Photoshoped to an unreal degree. We generally want models (train variety) to look realistic which demands IMO subdued colours and a more subtle approach.

• RMweb Premium

If you can guys try and get to Wycrail in November and see it in flesh, il be there with the new ownerattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Here's an image taken at the NEWGOG show and was one of my favourites

I'll be there helping a friend exhibition Diesels in the Duchy (EM), so should see it. So something to look forward to.

• Like 1

Guest 838rapid

Hi Steve,I am just about to start having an experiment at ballasting with kiln dried sand,any chance you could run through how you did it in this layout,as I want to try and achieve a similar effect,also could you explain the use of the talc please.

Kind regards

Ok first up paint a thin layer of PVA on the board right up to track level. Finely sprinkle the sand down. I then give it a fine mist spray of water. For a shed area you can then build this up first by giving the dry sand another mist coat of water then sprinkle the sand again. I use a kids Medicine syringe with the normal diluted PVA to drip the glue over it all evenly. You can build this up as much as you like and if doing a shed sand inside the track don't use ballast.

For the talc, give the area you want to treat a good coat of the PVA mixture then sprinkle on the talcum powder and work it in to the glue with the back of a spoon or your thumb. Be quite liberal with the talc.

Once dry spray with matt black spray and weather with black weathering powders. For a larger area you can use other not so dark spray, JLTRT track dirt is a good one for this. You can blend from one to the other.

Any thing else mate I can help with just let me knowpost-5983-0-13859500-1410378737_thumb.jpgpost-5983-0-97581000-1410378972_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Guest 838rapid

Thanks Steve.

Shall have a go and see how I get on.

I tried dried clay and all I achieved was a mess.

It's fun learning new skills,Thanks for your help and support.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Steve

Finally got round to reading the thread from top to tail

Really enjoyed it, and will shamelessly copy your ground cover techniques when Porth Dinllaen's shed takes shape!

It really is bl%dy good.

Simon

Steve

Finally got round to reading the thread from top to tail

Really enjoyed it, and will shamelessly copy your ground cover techniques when Porth Dinllaen's shed takes shape!

It really is bl%dy good.

Simon

No problem mate, it is easy to do and the results are good. I will be employing more of the same on Ranelagh Bridge once all the track is down

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Wycrail todaypost-5983-0-48319200-1414881805_thumb.jpg

Great show and venue.

More superb comments, really makes me want to get on with RB

Il add a pic a day as this is probably Cantons last show, it will now be residing in a more permanent home and should develop as part of a bigger layout.

• Like 8