140-ton 'Gunset' wagons

juggy0_1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jon, Don't have photoshop or much else of that sort, tell me more about how to resize images without and I will post a few more

of the really interesting ones.

The concrete beams were labelled "ANOTHER ANGLIAN CONCRETE PRODUCT" but I am not sure where they came from although as Fat C

says Norwich, that would tie in with east ANGLIA !!

Below is the formation of Train 1 that I photograped.

Loco- BR Banana vans x7 - B.909650,906026,905106,909600----909651,906022,905108,909601----909659,902023,902019,090609----

908001,907228,E.217295----908012,922436,908010----908015,924564,98019----909652,901003?,909602 + Brake van

The load carrying wagons were labelled "concrete beam" and the intermediates "concrete beam spacer" I was,of course

trespassing on the goods yard but a friendly (at that time) station manager said "If I don't see you I can't tell you to go"

The main problem was getting into a position to take the photos, the sets were so long one had to be a long way away to get

them in and taking close-ups of each wagon when the cranes were swinging 85 foot girders around was not advisable.They were

also stabled on adjacent tracks with Blue Circle bulk cements on the other side on some occasions !!

No doubt Paul B will be able to give chapter and verse of the wagon types but my notes do give some of this anyway.

The beams were about 16" over the head and 36" over the foot and 51" high with the web 7" like oversize F/B rail and at a

rough estimate weighed nearly 30 tons each. The biggest problem was getting the lorry out of the goods yard round a tight

180 degree bend. Until I saw them do it with the rear steer bogie I could not believe it was possible.

If you want more you had better put some ticks in the "like" box Regards Adrian

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

Noticed a photo from October 1929 of 4074 Caldicot Castle stopped at Totnes Station with a train with two 14 inch guns from the Chilean battleship Almirante Latorre. A LMS 9 planked wagon is between the tender and the first gun. It was posted by Totnes Image Bank. 

• 9 months later...

Hi Jon

Thanks for these links.

The first two show the 12 inch railway howtizer, the one nearest the camera in most shots is a MkV and the other two are MkIIIs. In the second film I liked the MkII Asssult boats being used, the folding boat bridge equipment and the Small Box Girder Bridge being built. They were not Bren carriers but Universal Carriers.

Here is my wargame drawing of a 12 inch MkV railway howitzer.

attachicon.gif12 inch rail gun.png

Distracted again...

post-336-0-05933400-1512420658_thumb.jpg

Jon

I wonder what a rail-mounted gun was doing at Catterick? There were several sited within a few miles of where I sit; one was based on the Elham Valley Railway near Bishopsbourne, and some more between Dover and Deal. The remains of the specially-laid track for the latter can be seen on the relevant OS map, between Martin Mill station and the coast. I have looked at the Google views for the area, but can't pick them out, though I have done in the past.

I think they may have been kept at Catterick between the wars. I have a written note that that the 18in Howitzer 'Boche Buster' was moved from Catterick to Dover via the the 1941 spur between the GWR and the Southern on Staines Moor. (CJL)

• Informative/Useful 1

• 3 years later...

Hi, 

A bit late to the party, however does anyone have any photo's other than those in the Peter Tatlow LNER Wagons book of the LNER's 140ton Gunset? 

I am struggling to find any other than the official photo's the LNER took in 1938, as I have one being made in CAD for 3D printing. 

Thanks 

Tom

IMG_20210227_135232.jpg

• Like 2