Track spacing at Dunster station

Guest Moria

Greetings all.

I have been interested by the track layouts at Dunster and Washford stations as they were in GWR days as to the unusual arrangement of a single platform with the goods shed directly opposite the platform. I would love to visit but it's tricky from here in Canada.

Obviously, the loop track is at a wider spacing than normal, to allow for the goods shed wall to sit between the tracks.. a normal clearance would foul. But can anyone please confirm what the spacing between running rails is/was when these stations were in normal use before preservation.

Many thanks in advance, and happy new year to all.

Regards

Graham

• RMweb Premium

Try this photo, taken in October 2008. Unfortunately the best that I have that shows the gap, which is clearly larger than a normal run-round loop. Almost to the point where you do not need the "Limited Clearance" signs.

• RMweb Premium

Try this photo, taken in October 2008. Unfortunately the best that I have that shows the gap, which is clearly larger than a normal run-round loop. Almost to the point where you do not need the "Limited Clearance" signs.

post-6981-12622483017469_thumb.jpg

Thanks Neil.. great shot of the end of the goods shed as well

I am thinking it has to be between 12 - 15 feet, but as I say, am just guessing right now.

Regards

Graham

• RMweb Premium

Is it a legacy of the broad guage era? Many GW stations do have an extra large space between the tracks due to this and on the section between Didcot & London the difference between the origional two tracks and the later relif lines.

I have had a quick go at tracing the plan for Dunster off the Planning Portal website, which might help. I have tried to get it as close as possible to the original, but I haven't quite got the hang of drawing curved lines in Powerpoint! The track spacing scales at 5.5 m centre to centre as they enter the goods shed

post-189-12622742870163_thumb.jpg

I have had a quick go at tracing the plan for Dunster off the Planning Portal website, which might help. I have tried to get it as close as possible to the original, but I haven't quite got the hang of drawing curved lines in Powerpoint! The track spacing scales at 5.5 m centre to centre as they enter the goods shed

Nick, perfect, thank you for that vital piece of information.

The additional point you have beyond the loading dock behind the shed.. I am assuming that's been added by the preservation group.. I didn't see it on a GWR plan, although it may have been earlier than what I saw, but it's an interesting idea to expand the yard area :)

Regards

Graham Evans

Archived