Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Dave "Tetleys" Shakespeare

Members, (please forgive any spelling mistakes as I write this with a tear in my eyes)

Many,many thanks for all of your very kind comments, I am especially greatful to Andy and my very good friend Gilbert (Great Northern). Allthough his fantastic Peterborough North is all down to him we schemed and planned and bounced ideas and dreams from each other over many a bacon butty from the traumatic loft layout days through to the finished article. Gilbert raised the bar and although I could never hope to better it I was determined that my own new layout would be without compromise.

First, to those members who refer to me as MR SHAKESPEARE, I've always considered myself as 'Dave' in fact, when I retired from being a Police Inspector and my wife continued as a civilan support member of staff I allowed her to drop the 'SIR' at home and just call me MR and when she later retired I allowed her to use my first name!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not defeatist but the pragmatist in me knows the inevitable although I'll continue to fight for every day.

There have been too many times when I've been guilty of 'firing from the hip' and hitting the key pad without engaging brain over some emotive subject here on RMWeb and in so doing upset some members, for that I am truely sorry, I've never followed 'Twiiter but too many celebraties have done the same but I should have known better, once again sorry.

I don't want to just burn the old buildings and brand new baseboards but niether do I want to capitalise on their, dare I say, celebrity status but I really do need to clear the extensive collection so my middle son at least has a clear run in converting the room into an en-suite bedroom in the future (a chip off the old block) so I'd like to think as many people as possible can enjoy what has been a great pleasure to me and my family. Follow Andy, Gilbert and other's efforts in this quest.

I have enjoyed being a member of RMWeb and although I'm not yet signing off just yet my inputs may be more muted.

Fondest regards to you and I wish good health and fortune.

Dave (Tetleys)

• RMweb Gold

My heart goes out to Dave and family, such devastating news.

I never met Dave, sadly I turned down an invite to go and see Tetley Mills at his home, a decision I used to regret for missing seeing the layout at close quarters, but now one I regret for not meeting a guy who inspires such words as those above.

We are all behind you Dave, most of us cannot do much other than give you encouragement and the knowledge that people really do care, even about "Internet friends"

• RMweb Premium

Members, (please forgive any spelling mistakes as I write this with a tear in my eyes)

Many,many thanks for all of your very kind comments, I am especially greatful to Andy and my very good friend Gilbert (Great Northern). Allthough his fantastic Peterborough North is all down to him we schemed and planned and bounced ideas and dreams from each other over many a bacon butty from the traumatic loft layout days through to the finished article. Gilbert raised the bar and although I could never hope to better it I was determined that my own new layout would be without compromise.

First, to those members who refer to me as MR SHAKESPEARE, I've always considered myself as 'Dave' in fact, when I retired from being a Police Inspector and my wife continued as a civilan support member of staff I allowed her to drop the 'SIR' at home and just call me MR and when she later retired I allowed her to use my first name!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not defeatist but the pragmatist in me knows the inevitable although I'll continue to fight for every day.

There have been too many times when I've been guilty of 'firing from the hip' and hitting the key pad without engaging brain over some emotive subject here on RMWeb and in so doing upset some members, for that I am truely sorry, I've never followed 'Twiiter but too many celebraties have done the same but I should have known better, once again sorry.

I don't want to just burn the old buildings and brand new baseboards but niether do I want to capitalise on their, dare I say, celebrity status but I really do need to clear the extensive collection so my middle son at least has a clear run in converting the room into an en-suite bedroom in the future (a chip off the old block) so I'd like to think as many people as possible can enjoy what has been a great pleasure to me and my family. Follow Andy, Gilbert and other's efforts in this quest.

I have enjoyed being a member of RMWeb and although I'm not yet signing off just yet my inputs may be more muted.

Fondest regards to you and I wish good health and fortune.

Dave (Tetleys)

And there speaks my great friend in his own inimitable way. Dave, it's so good to see you rallying like this after that first awful shock. I don't know anyone who has more sheer guts determination and well, bloody mindedness really, than you, so keep on fighting. I want to spend plenty more days with you putting the world to rights and taking grumpiness to new heights. By the way, can I too now call you Dave then?

You have told me that the doctors say the chances of you pulling through are about the same as your chances of winning the lottery. Someone does win the lottery nearly every week though, don't they, and often twice a week. You've always been so positive, so keep that going. Of course we shall still do as you have asked us regarding your present railway stuff, but that won't stop me hoping for the great comeback.

• RMweb Premium

Like all the other posters I am extrememy saddened by the news as I feel that I know Dave even although I haven't met him as his modelling skill was of the highest order. Tetley Mills is a wonderful creation as Dave added in to the layout that mysterious human touch which made the scene come alive. In addition Tetley Mills is part of the modelling world and I took it for granted that it would always be here.

I have lost relatives and friends to this terrible disease but also know many more who have battled on successfully for quite some time, perhaps it's mind over matter, however Dave, be sure that thousands of us throughout the modelling world have you in our thoughts and willing you to keep bashing on.

I also thank Gilbert for his kind insightful words at the start of this thread.  

Thank you to Great Northern and Tetleys, Gilbert and Dave for breaking this devastating news with such dignity.

My thoughts are with you Dave, and your family. I've watched you build magnificent layouts and wondered how does he even contemplate building them. With your indomitable spirit, only witnessed through RMweb I admit, I would back you to complete any task and fight any fight.

I wish you only the very best, just one of many on this great site who feels compassion for a fellow modeller that has inspired us.

Mike

Absolutely shocking news and I can't believe the dignity shown by Gilbert and Dave in writing their posts.

Although I don't know Dave I've followed his posts and articles since the first in Model Rail all those years ago and, somehow, I feel a connection. This new is really upsetting.

Dave - I know you'll fight this and, as others have said, there's always hope.

My thoughts are with you and your family.

Julian

Just realised what this thread is about and totally gobsmacked never knew mr Shakespeare but as a lot of people was inspired by tetley mills and kept dropping in on on his new layout thread to see what marvels he was getting up to my heart and prayers go out to him and his family and close friends

• RMweb Premium

FIrstly, I am sorry that I somehow managed to miss this thread for so long, and only learned of Dave's condition by a sideways reference in another thread.  So here's my contribution, for what it's worth.  I think that what I want to say is going to be hard, but I'll try to put it down in my own way.

I first saw Tetley Mills when I was buying the odd modelling magazine for an idle read, being an ex-modeller, and a lapsed railway enthusiast.  Many of the layouts that I saw were good - almost enough to make me consider a return to the fold, then I saw Tetley Mills, and my jaw hit the floor - THIS was the inspiration that I was needing - so who was this alchemist?  Well he was one Dave Shakespeare, and I wondered just who he was to achieve so much.  When I joined RMWeb many years ago, he was sort of present here - then in a new guise was Tetleys in his RMWeb persona - and I could learn, follow, and admire his work more closely, and find out exactly how he achieved his amazing results. 

However, this is about Dave the man, not Dave the modeller - though the two are in most minds inextricably linked.  This thread says a lot about his popularity with those who know him, as well as those who only know him through his work.  I am sorry to say that I am in the latter category, though it was one of my modelling ambitions to hopefully meet up with this gentleman to at least have a chat with him.  I still hope that this will be possible.

Yes, the prognosis might be less than favourable, but from what I've learned about Dave the man, he is a determined individual, and I really believe that from what I've learned that if anybody can beat this awful illness, then it is he.  Pete (Trisonic) is a very good example of somebody whose prognosis was not good, and who is still able to tell the tale

So Dave - every good wish from me too - even though we've never met, this new form of cyber-friendship means that I am still able to offer you my moral and online support, and that I wholeheartedly do at this time - and also to your family who will, I am sure, be supporting you every step of the way.

All best wishes

Stewart

Devastating news and my thoughts go out to you and your family. My wife has just managed a reprieve after a session of chemo, so do not give up hope.

For me being a reader rather than writer and contributor Tetley Mills and Tetley Mills 3 have been one of my favourite topics and inspires me with many thoughts for my own layout to be built in a few years time. Your tremendous work rate and contributions will be sorely missed.

Keep fighting as I'm sure a positive attitide is sometimes half the battle.

Trevor

Dave, I like many others here had my first inspirational from "Tetley mills". Rotten Row being the area I favored the most. I wish you all the best and will keep the faith. I wish I had more words but I am as struck dumb by this news as others here.

ScR  

Dave,

I was in this position 7 years ago when my own dear wife was diagnosed and I still don't know what to say. My thoughts and prayers are with you. We have a lay reader here at our village church who was given a bleak diagnosis a year ago. He was back in the pulpit at Christmas. Sometimes the medics are better at treating this thing than they think they are. I have always valued your close relationship with Model Rail - you were my very first article contributor from outside the magazine's own staff - and I believe that Tetley's Mills played a major part in getting Model Rail established on a regular basis from what had been a one-off issue. Thank you - and hang in there. I'm sure I speak for all of us at Model Rail.

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Gold

As everyone else has said this is devastating news. My prayers will be with you Dave and your family at this difficult time. I would also like to comment on the closeness of the modelling community as demonstrated by all the, posts above and the eloquent words used to convey the news in the first place.

Mike.

Desparately sad news.

I'm another for whom the name Dave Shakspeare burst into consciousness with issue 1 of Model Rail, still a cherished possession. Truly a contemporary inspirational modeller. Imagine my astonishment when I subsequently got a posting on my thread from 'Tetleys', who'd taken time to read and make comments. So, although I have never met Dave, I instantly have an impression of a friendly fellow, happy to share his love of the hobby with encouragement for others, great and small.

My thoughts with Dave and his family at this most difficult of times; hopefully the overwhelming size of the response is of some comfort to you.

I make no excuse for this me too post.
Dave, I cannot begin to imagine how you and your family are feeling but since reading this threrad yesterday I haven't stopped thinking about you all. I have never met you, like many on here. But feel I know you. I have two things in common with you. The hobby and "the job"

My thoughts are with you and I admire your courage. I can only echo the comments made above.

Best wishes

Scott

Like some others,I am not good with words,especially in such devastating circumstances,but must add my sincere condolences to Dave and his family and friends,of which there are many,I'm sure.I too have never met Dave,even though I only live a few miles away,but being of similar age and interest and reading his informative,entertaining and interesting comments on RM web,one feels close to him and knocked sideways at this terrible news.God bless you Dave,and for Gods sake ,keep fighting mate.

Kind regards,

Roy.

• RMweb Premium

Dave,

A a fellow modeller of the urban idiom, your work (the first "Tetleys" in particular) really was a direct inspiration to me, together with your refreshingly down-to-earth articles and posts on RMWeb.

Keep fighting, you just never know how things can turn out.

My prayers for you and your family.

I've just been reading through the comments regarding Dave's dreadful prognosis, and I can only reiterate what others have posted. I count it a great privilege to know him (and Julie), originally in a professional capacity (mine, not his!) after Model Rail commissioned me to take pictures of Barden Road, the branch terminus from Tetleys Mills. Latterly, I photographed Tetleys Mills in its entirety for BRM and between us we made a humorous (I'm told some found it humorous) DVD. We became friends and visited each other (with our wives), but not recently because of my health issues, and he would often call in on one of his numerous cycling excursions.

One is really lost for words at times like this, and I won't even try to express my feelings for I'm fighting my own demons right now. All I'd say is his work has been inspirational, and I'd call him one of the great impressionists in the field of railway modelling. His broad-brush approach has appealed to me immensely down the years, as it has to countless others.

• RMweb Premium

Dave, same as many others I have not met you but from your writings and musings, I have always presumed you to be a fun loving, straight talking man (and from reading through the comments it would seem that my presumptions are correct). Keep fighting, and remember that all our thoughts are with you and your family.

As for your modelling, it's pretty obvious from my efforts that your layouts have been hugely inspirational.

Best Wishes,

Jason

Archived