Improving the Hornby APT (1980s version)

For the love of god… can we keep this thread on topic (models rather than prototype)? I know we all love the APT (and Class 40s… who wouldn't!) but as Andi mentioned in #143 there are no less than 4 other existing threads to post prototype stuff on!

Kev, I really like your driving trailer mod. How did you do the roof details?

Now how about doing a model of 48204? http://www.flickr.com/photos/35476094@N04/8500677677/in/set-72157632832235566

Guy

Hi Guy

Interesting link you have, the coach apart the double bogies at each end, but was or it looks like it is between the two power cars.

When was this type of coach used and would it have still lilted with it not being joined in the same way the normal APT coaches were, i.e. shared bogie.

Where on the rake of coaches would you have seen this formation of coach in use.  Shave Hornby never done it, as it would save some work to make one now.

Thanks for the link bud.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

That coach was a one-off, mounted on two BT12 bogies. In the linked pic, it is between a power car and a TBF as these are the only other vehicles to have non-articulated ends to couple to.

Otherwise it ran and tilted the same as the rest of the train and iirc was built as a test-bed for what may have been the production APT (and I suppose eventually, the 91+mk4 sets)

Edited by keefer
  • Like 1

Just to prove it did work! Anybody around after 4pm yesterday at Kendal show may have seen this -

attachicon.gifAPT rescue!.jpg

The 26's were the only loco's we had spare. Kev.

Hi Kev

Supper dupper photo mate, looks fantastic, What rake is your APT...

and the nose adaption to couple up looks the biz, I want to buy the lot from you.... and swap you for just the normal Hornby coaches ... ha-ha.... I wish...

Jamie

Cheers Jamie. I could not swap even if i wanted to, as our 14 (+1) vehicle APT has four owners! Kev.

ah... what a shame that is...

I would like to see more clos=ups of that APT especially those that have been adapted.

Jamie

'Black and Decker boy' has posted a video on YouTube which shows the Furness MRC's APT running -

Amongst other stuff, it's about 6.20 in. I really must fix that wobbly wheelset on the power car!  Kev.

• Like 13

'Black and Decker boy' has posted a video on YouTube which shows the Furness MRC's APT running -

Amongst other stuff, it's about 6.20 in. I really must fix that wobbly wheelset on the power car!  Kev.

Hi Kev

excellent YouTube clip mate with some excellent liveries to, my era all over, what a great layout, does that layout go out to exhibitions at all... would love to see it....

thanks for sharing with us all...

Jamie

Hi Kev

excellent YouTube clip mate with some excellent liveries to, my era all over, what a great layout, does that layout go out to exhibitions at all... would love to see it....

thanks for sharing with us all...

Jamie

May I draw the honourable gentleman's attention to post 163. :sungum:  kev.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi

I'm following this thread with keen interest- presently playing around designing etches to mount Hornby Eurostar replacemnt motors/gears.

Also working on an APT-E model and it might be of interest that its power bogies have 36" wheels (12mm in OO) and the trailing bogies @ 29" (around 9.7mm in OO).

Did the P continue with these differences (cardon shaft drive may have obviated the need of height for traction motors) ?

• 1 month later...

Hi All

As Guy states the etches are only tests at the moment as once I had a proper look at the I realised I had made some silly schoolboy errors with the drawings.

Here are a couple of pics taken at Scaleforum.

10125102976_ca07d06376.jpg

Scaleforum 010 by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

10125069455_56334f41dc.jpg

Scaleforum 014 by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

And one of the test build of the driving trailer

10126235826_a87a1ab2a5_z.jpg

Brass APT 009 by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

cheers

Shane

Hi Shane

Sorry for dragging up an old post but is there any update on these etchs?

Shane (as well!)

• Like 1

No worries about dragging this up. I am still working on this but not posting for the time being as this may be used for a feature in the modelling press, once it has reached a point of completion. It's something I will be discussing at the weekend. Please be patient!

Cheers

Shane

Excellent news Shane, your timeing could be perfect as I have (once latest delivery arrives) obtained enough sets for a 10 car rake.

Looking forward to hearing more, your only down road from me as well if you need another guinea pig for testing purposes ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I will be such a happy bunny when Shane's etches come out for a full set with the APT-P and I have my APT-E on order. If Shane releases the HST prototype etches and nose thats he's done I will be able to model the period so nicely.

• Like 1

I will be such a happy bunny when Shane's etches come out for a full set with the APT-P and I have my APT-E on order. If Shane releases the HST prototype etches and nose thats he's done I will be able to model the period so nicely.

I had initially thought that the etchs were for going over the existing Hornby bodies (suitably modified) but the impression im now getting is that they are for building an entire train from the etchs

I had initially thought that the etches were for going over the existing Hornby bodies (suitably modified) but the impression im now getting is that they are for building an entire train from the etchs

Either way, it's a challenge that looks very tasty.

• Like 1