Improving the Hornby APT (1980s version)

Hi All

Can anyone say, with authority, whether the saloon windows are tinted or not. Pictures seem to show that they are possibly not, or have only a very minor tint to them. It would be very helpful if they were as it means I dont have to go through the faff of painting tartan seats, unless anyone has got some tartan paint!

cheers

Shane

• RMweb Premium

i'd say they definitely look tinted - presumably done the same way as the mindows on mk3s - a dark 'spectrafloat' coating on the outer pane and a clear inner pane in each double-glazed window.

check the following vid from youtube - at 1:25 it shows the outside of TRSB 48404. look at the 'no smoking' signs, they are quite 'muted' because they were applied to the inside of the windows and to see them from the outside, you are looking through the darker outer pane.

looking from inside, the windows don't look as dark, just a blue-ish tinge perhaps

• Like 2

Hi All

Here is the test assembly of the first new APT trailer. Its still 'rough around the edges' as I wanted to get some pics done this afternoon, it will be dismantled later to refine the assembly technique and to improve the finish.

9285979084_b644f8f76a_z.jpg
IMAG0046 by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

9283190883_577d02bf09_z.jpg
IMAG0048 by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

Still some more work to do but I hope you like it so far.

cheers

Shane

• Like 15

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Shane,

That looks the business and gives me a lot of confidence in your etches (not that I ever doubted they'd be the mutt's proverbials..!).  Looks like you have done a lot of work scribing panel lines etc...kudos for that.

By actually having something half-finished, you're putting me to shame!

Hi All

Thanks for the comments, Guy the main structure is based on heavily modified Hornby parts, used as masters and cast in resin. The bodysides are etched brass with stainless steel window frames. I am already thinking of the next stage which would do away with so much resin but I need to get these done first.

cheers

Shane

I thought I'd tag this on here in case it's useful to somebody!

post-8271-0-11194400-1375547851_thumb.jpg

We're currently upgrading our APT for Coppell with a Heljan 33 mech and dcc sound and this is progress so far. The bogies are finished bar painting, after much metal grinding. A 20 x 40bass-enhanced speaker is fitted in the bottom of the chassis (with lots of holes drilled to let the sound out!) and the motor will sit on this with the 33 PCB on top. Extended drive shafts in front. I just hope the thing runs again when it's reassembled. kev.

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

And back up and running on DC -

post-8271-0-91996700-1375631139_thumb.jpg

Ignore the speaker wires sticking out!  I've added some lead sheet either side of the speaker to replace some of the weight lost and run it up to half power on blocks.  So far so good, although it looks as if headroom is going to be tight! Kev.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

And back up and running on DC -

attachicon.gifAPT mech2.jpg

Ignore the speaker wires sticking out!  I've added some lead sheet either side of the speaker to replace some of the weight lost and run it up to half power on blocks.  So far so good, although it looks as if headroom is going to be tight! Kev.

If you've still got the tilt cams in place on the inner end of the bogie frames then be very careful with how much weight you put in as too much will cause the outer wheels of the bogies to lift off the rails. Guess how I know?

Andi 

• Like 2

Well the good news is that it has passed its first running test.

post-8271-0-77278100-1375805407_thumb.jpg

Pictured on Loch Dour, complete with its sharp curves and gradients, the now decoder fitted chassis does look good on corners with both bogies tilting in opposite directions! I’ve just got to finish rebuilding the clips that hold it in the body, as most are now missing after many years use. The bits of wire at the ends are there just to hold the ''droopy'' couplings out of the way.

Kev.

• Like 7

I really like that clip, and the work you have done modernising the Hornby model.

Following this thread with a great deal of interest. An APT will be a long term project of mine, although pulled by a HST prototype at the front end for power, initially, and then on pretend batteries if it goes it alone on my layout (without any overhead power lines).

Jamie

....main structure is based on heavily modified Hornby parts, used as masters and cast in resin. The bodysides are etched brass with stainless steel window frames. I am already thinking of the next stage which would do away with so much resin but I need to get these done first.

Roll on the kit!

Kev, it's great! You can see the tilt really well (which for me is the main thing that you want to preserve when re-powering it).

Guy

Thanks Guy. The only worry is that the pan will no longer be fixed to the top of the power bogie, so will now tilt with it! Good job Coppell's mostly straight(ish)! kev.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Guy. The only worry is that the pan will no longer be fixed to the top of the power bogie, so will now tilt with it! Good job Coppell's mostly straight(ish)! kev.

Did you see my method for dealing with the pan tilt further back up the thread?

Edit: sorry, not in this thread but in this one instead http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/46425-Hornby-apt-p-and-assorted-others/?p=915927

Andi

Edited by Dagworth

• 1 month later...

Reading this thread has reminded me of when I was a teenager and my dads head office overlooked the scrap line at Derby and we would watch them shunt the new APT coaches straight out the works onto the scrap line all unpainted and covered in clear plastic sheeting such was the farce in the late 1970s early 1980s after the program had been canceled that the goverment under threat from the unions still let the works complete there contract just to keep the loco workers in work even though it would never go into service and we wonder why it all went wrong. Thanks for the interesting thread. Regards Steve ps I did have photos but they were all lost during a messy divorce hell hath no fury as the saying go'es

Reading this thread has reminded me of when I was a teenager and my dads head office overlooked the scrap line at Derby and we would watch them shunt the new APT coaches straight out the works onto the scrap line all unpainted and covered in clear plastic sheeting such was the farce in the late 1970s early 1980s after the program had been canceled that the goverment under threat from the unions still let the works complete there contract just to keep the loco workers in work even though it would never go into service and we wonder why it all went wrong.

What a bizarre statement to make seeing as the APT almost made it to service,

Memories can play tricks, it doesnt in this day and age of almost instant research, allow such niave and somewhat negative rosetinted glasses style of posts.

Whilst true the APT-P P for prototype didn't make it into a production train. It allowed a thorough design concept to be trialed over twenty years.

Unions didnt force the build, maybe a reluctance from the outset of the project from the Ministry of transport to provide agreed funds and seemingly constant failure and re-organisation within the management also must have been key. It is hard to make comment on what was clearly a political stance with regard to investment, but my own apolitical thoughts on the matter and based on what information that is public would suggest the project was fixable given the right atmosphere.

Reading this thread has reminded me of when I was a teenager and my dads head office overlooked the scrap line at Derby and we would watch them shunt the new APT coaches straight out the works onto the scrap line all unpainted and covered in clear plastic sheeting such was the farce in the late 1970s early 1980s after the program had been canceled that the goverment under threat from the unions still let the works complete there contract just to keep the loco workers in work even though it would never go into service and we wonder why it all went wrong. Thanks for the interesting thread. Regards Steve ps I did have photos but they were all lost during a messy divorce hell hath no fury as the saying go'es