Did we really look like this when out trainspotting?

I am looking vary pensive as my photo is taken beside Class 47 D1579 at Darlington Bank Top Station, along with my faithful notebook visible in the blazer pocket. Those were the days when you could live on Lyons Gala Fruit Pies and ice cold milk from the machines on the station platforms and wore what your parents sent you out in! I didn't normally wear my school cap when out spotting but it was a wet day and I hated getting my hair wet.

post-19218-0-78735500-1421334992_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I am looking vary pensive as my photo is taken beside Class 47 D1579 at Darlington Bank Top Station, along with my faithful notebook visible in the blazer pocket. Those were the days when you could live on Lyons Gala Fruit Pies and ice cold milk from the machines on the station platforms and wore what your parents sent you out in! I didn't normally wear my school cap when out spotting but it was a wet day and I hated getting my hair wet.

attachicon.gifD1579.jpg

The school cap was the only thing many of us had to keep our heads warm and hair dry in those days.

How about a 1960`s cup of hot chicken soup from a platform vending machine and a Caramac...bliss

I never had the soup, but Caramacs were great; as were those small cartons of Paynes Poppets.

Reading all this makes me think how young most are or perhaps how old I am;  I don't think I am but I never spotted anything but steam engines unless you include the GW Gas Turbine!  Otherwise, most things were mostly the same, school uniforms, pasties and Corona with the complicated bottle cap.  Looking back, in a lot of ways I was fortunate to be able to see older GW steam engines working, Bulldogs, Saints, Stars, etc, even a Dean Goods that worked its way to Laira once or twice.

Luckily the school sports field abutted the main line at Tavvy Junction and one could combine business with pleasure; I was never any good at sports anyway.  Another bonus was that it was shared by a local girls high school whose green sports pants are remembered to this day!  This contributed to another stage of life's evolution but the interest in trains has lingered to this day.

Brian.

• Like 1

When we went out spotting we knew how to dress to impress. Any old thing would do as can be seen in this photo of us at Guid Bridge Mike on the left, me in the middle and Bamber on the right. We were close mates! I think the photo was taken by Mac.

post-8920-0-00912100-1421420603.jpg

A day out on the Isle of Wright and I'd just copped a loco, over 400 miles just to get a loco? Must have been mad.

post-8920-0-49561500-1421420621_thumb.jpg

Same jeans same jacket (ex B.R.)  I think that the photos were taken in about 1982 or 3.

Working in the shipyard on about £80 a week, digs cost about £5, so I had about £75 a week to spend on going out on the rails and drinking beer, and it had to be spent in that week. I did not tend to spend any of it to look fashionable as you can probably tell.

OzzyO.

PS. I think that I've still got the bum freezer jacket, I don't think I'll fit in it now.

• Like 10

Took my son to Lincoln Central last year,wanted to wave him off .I thought I should get a platform ticket as I did when i was a young spotter...well the look I got !!!!..when did they fade into history.Do modern spotters have to buy a ticket to a destination to get onto the manned stations?

Took my son to Lincoln Central last year,wanted to wave him off .I thought I should get a platform ticket as I did when i was a young spotter...well the look I got !!!!..when did they fade into history.Do modern spotters have to buy a ticket to a destination to get onto the manned stations?

A similar thing happened to me when seeing my father off at Temple Meads. Platform tickets? What are they?

Eventually the chap manning the gates/ticket barriers let me on the platforms anyway, but said to come back to him to get out. I duly conformed with his instructions, but he was nowhere to be seen and I had to 'negotiate' my way back off the station, because I was now seen as a fare dodger.

When we went out spotting we knew how to dress to impress. Any old thing would do as can be seen in this photo of us at Guid Bridge Mike on the left, me in the middle and Bamber on the right. We were close mates! I think the photo was taken by Mac.

attachicon.gifCopy of old days 1 005.jpg

Did you always go for a pee together?

Am I strange, or is there anyone else out there on this forum who was young in the late '50's/'60's and was never a trainspotter?

I was into modelling, got RM each month made the usual Airfix WW2 aircraft and Scalextric as well as railways (I remember a Triang Dean Single and then making some dubious freelance 016.5), but never went out with notebooks etc.

Am I strange, or is there anyone else out there on this forum who was young in the late '50's/'60's and was never a trainspotter?

John,

I had a model railway as a boy in the 50s but was never a trainspotter!

Came back to the hobby about 5 years ago,

Dave

Did you always go for a pee together?

well if girls can do it why not, if four of use were out and we were in a pub we did not know it was only in twos, two looked  after the beer and the gear and the other two looked after each other. Wee did tend to drink a lot of ale in them days.

• Like 2

well if girls can do it why not, if four of use were out and we were in a pub we did not know it was only in twos, two looked  after the beer and the gear and the other two looked after each other. Wee did tend to drink a lot of ale in them days.

Sorry, it wasn't meant to be insulting; and thinking about it I don't remember any episodes of "relief" when trainspotting as a boy. I suppose that I must have gone somewhere at times, but can't recall any. Maybe, compared to today's consumption of bottled water, fizzy drinks and the like, we drank far less when out of doors?

I certainly do not remember feeling the urge to rehydrate at regular intervals; in fact the opposite seemed to be true. I did not drink until I was quite thirsty, and quite often did not bother taking anything with me on trainspotting exploits using my pushbike - mainly because I left the house before my mother was out of bed, and I certainly wasn't going to delay my priorities by setting to and making myself a sandwich.

I remember one very hot day, cycling back home some 16 or 17 miles and half way through the trip I became so thirsty that I just could not stand it any longer and drank some water out of a roadside ditch. I knew the perils of this, and was prepared for the consequences later, but my need for liquid over-rode all risks. Fortunately, I contracted no near death illness from this event.

• Like 4