Did we really look like this when out trainspotting?

• RMweb Gold

Seeing the post by Grosvenor above prompted me to dig out this photo.

A family (very wet) holiday in North Wales in 1960 complete with de rigeur pacamac and school cap (did we really even take them on holiday with us?).

My first sight of and ride on a narrow gauge railway! Followed by the Vale of Rheidol and The Ffestiniog. Halls and Granges on the Cambrian coast line as well - great holiday apart from the continuous rain.

Incidentially Peter I think the school cap is Spondon Park Grammar School although I was there a few years before you. I only spent 8 months there before moving to Nottingham. I lived in Alvaston and bussed to school on one of those new fangled Atlantean buses with engines at the back! As the school was new the playing fields could not be used and we used to walk down to the Celanese Sports ground to play Rugby which was great as we could see all the trains heading in and out of Derby from Trent. Many hours spent spotting by the double crossing gates at Spondon station.

post-8314-0-56122500-1421599517_thumb.jpg

post-8314-0-04907400-1421599534_thumb.jpg

Edit: Just noticed my rumpled woollen socks - were they part of the uniform as well?

Edited by highpeakman
  • Like 10

Oh dear...here's a younger thinner version of me on a visit to Crewe in July 1987...American football was briefly popular at the time IIRC hence the unusually (for me) sporting garb.

Western Prince must have left shortly afterwards for its repaint into maroon, where I saw it again at the Winchfield 150 celebrations.

Crewe87_zpse7cb6985.jpg

• Like 3

A family (very wet) holiday in North Wales in 1960 complete with de rigeur pacamac and school cap (did we really even take them on holiday with us?).

My first sight of and ride on a narrow gauge railway! Followed by the Vale of Rheidol and The Ffestiniog. Halls and Granges on the Cambrian coast line as well - great holiday apart from the continuous rain.

Incidentially Peter I think the school cap is Spondon Park Grammar School although I was there a few years before you. I only spent 8 months there before moving to Nottingham. I lived in Alvaston and bussed to school on one of those new fangled Atlantean buses with engines at the back! As the school was new the playing fields could not be used and we used to walk down to the Celanese Sports ground to play Rugby which was great as we could see all the trains heading in and out of Derby from Trent. Many hours spent spotting by the double crossing gates at Spondon station.

attachicon.gifscanjan18_15_2.jpg

attachicon.gifscanjan18_15_3.jpg

Edit: Just noticed my rumpled woollen socks - were they part of the uniform as well?

Tis a (very) small world as I too lived in Alvaston. I used to catch the Trent bus to school. If I recall there was the 412 (which i caught) and the 413.

I hope it wasn't you who chucked my cap out the window.....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ah! Yes. The obligatory oversize pacamac, school cap and wrinkled socks.

post-9767-0-61321400-1421625458.jpg

• Like 11

Looks like I wasn't alone, and the "Inter City" bag was also popular in the West Country.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/auchlander/5978032539/in/photostream/

I had forgotten about that bag! I had one bought, I think, from Wolverhampton. I was very proud of it and took it on all my spotting trips.

It was never quite the same after some overlooked piece of fruit (a pear if memory serves), got squashed whilst on an excursion. I think I had to buy a new notebook. I was very happy when the new Combined Volume came out because the pages of the old one had been impregnated with squashed pear.

Anyone else have any disasters whilst out and about?

John.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Child/teenager of the 80's... I attended a comprehensive school which had pretensions of being the kind of state grammar school with public school airs, if you see what I mean (which was funny because it was at the disrepubtable end of town, and by "was" I mean it has been razed and turned into a housing estate). Luckily caps were out of fashion by then, but still had to endure the impracticallness which was the compulsory blazer. The rules states that uniform had to be worn too and from home, and that one was supposed to go directly between the two and not e.g. hang out at the local shopping centre, but I don't think there was enough stasi-like infrastructure in place any more to enforce that. 6th formers had to wear jackets but I elected to attend a 6th form college in a slightly more urbane metropolis with no dress code.

No chance I'd ever wear that uniform outside the school-parts of a weekday. Trainspotting was in whatever miscellaneous collection of items from C&A, Burtons, Topshop etc. Somewhere there's a photo of me in a most hideous cyan/turquoise jumper and NHS glasses boarding a 117 DMU. Suave and sophisticated I was not.

Oh dear...here's a younger thinner version of me on a visit to Crewe in July 1987...American football was briefly popular at the time IIRC hence the unusually (for me) sporting garb.

Western Prince must have left shortly afterwards for its repaint into maroon, where I saw it again at the Winchfield 150 celebrations.

null.jpg

I quickly discovered how nasty the nylon was that was used in most sports kits for supporters at the time and would've been wearing an american football t-shirt instead. Luckily I managed to stay behind the camera for most of the time so there's no photographic evidence other than a possible siting in the background of a published picture from Crewe Diesel open day in 1992.

btw it may have been a bit of a fad then but American Football hugely popular now as evidenced by 3 regular season games at Wembley and talk of a London NFL team by 2022.

Cheers

Chris H

Sorry, it wasn't meant to be insulting; and thinking about it I don't remember any episodes of "relief" when trainspotting as a boy. I suppose that I must have gone somewhere at times, but can't recall any. Maybe, compared to today's consumption of bottled water, fizzy drinks and the like, we drank far less when out of doors?

I didn't take as insulting, it was a bit posed as we wouldn't normally stand so close together.

OzzyO.

• Like 1

Two more members from this forum, unitned & kevpeo.

attachicon.gifold days 1 002.jpg

unitned is pulling a face at the 158 but goes out bashing 142s odd.

OzzyO.

PS. or is that monster.

What is that B/G coach next to the 158? The roof looks decidedly unusual?

Edited to say, now I have my glasses on it may just be the effect of reflections on a wet roof, but the windows look rather strange as well. I may need a lie down, though.

Edited by jonny777

Edited to say, now I have my glasses on it may just be the effect of reflections on a wet roof, but the windows look rather strange as well. I may need a lie down, though.

I think that it's just the reflection, I'm not sure if it is a 158 (I'm not big on units).

• RMweb Gold

Ah the old New Street station.

The 4F appears to be a Gloucester Barnwood loco. Is that the train engine for a jaunt to Gloucester? Or has it been purloined as a New Street pilot?

Between the demise of the 2P 4-4-0s and the allocation of some Standard 5s to Barnwood there were regular appearances of 4Fs on the morning stopper from Gloucester and the return working.

Hi,

I fear you memory is playing tricks on you here.

Halls and Granges were never allowed onto the Cambrian Coast line west of Shrewsbury due to weight restrictions on the former Cambrian Railways line.

The largest ex GWR locos allowed were the Manor class, several of which were based at Machynlleth and Aberystwyth over the years.

Regards

Hi,

Looking carefully at that B/G coach i'd say it is a class 108 dmu vehicle.

The roof is certainly distorted by reflections from being wet.

Regards

Edited by TheWeatheringMan
  • Like 1

Anyone else have any disasters whilst out and about?

1. In a vain attempt to look cool, kicking the door of a SR EMU shut while standing on the platform, and ending up base over apex because of the icy surface underfoot. Howls of laughter from my mates still on the train.

2. Completely failing to catch a drink thrown to me by a mate a few yards away, the drink ending up on the platform. "You were supposed to catch that!" - "You were supposed to throw it!"

3. Falling asleep in overheated DMUs on rover tickets in the morning after an overnight at Doncaster, thus missing out viewing various depots and sidings carefully planned to maximise the haul of new numbers.

Probably all three times while wearing my favourite two-tone purple nylon shirt with enormous lapels, that flapped you in the face when you rode your bike in summer. Pics not available unfortunately.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

I fear you memory is playing tricks on you here.

Halls and Granges were never allowed onto the Cambrian Coast line west of Shrewsbury due to weight restrictions on the former Cambrian Railways line.

The largest ex GWR locos allowed were the Manor class, several of which were based at Machynlleth and Aberystwyth over the years.

Regards

Hi

Not for the first time!! I stand corrected. Thanks.

As you can tell I am not very clued up on Western classes or operating areas. I can tell a Castle and King from Halls, Manors and Granges but struggle with differentiating between the latter. Growing up in Derby this would have been one of the first times I saw Western engines (that's odd, they only have 4 numbers!). Subsequent holidays in Devon gave me an improved (but obviously not complete) education though. I decided Swindon had to be a good place because they trained Stanier who became the best! I'll go now! :)

Hi

Not for the first time!! I stand corrected. Thanks.

As you can tell I am not very clued up on Western classes or operating areas. I can tell a Castle and King from Halls, Manors and Granges but struggle with differentiating between the latter. Growing up in Derby this would have been one of the first times I saw Western engines (that's odd, they only have 4 numbers!). Subsequent holidays in Devon gave me an improved (but obviously not complete) education though. I decided Swindon had to be a good place because they trained Stanier who became the best! I'll go now! :)

Hi,

Glad you didnt mind me pointing it out.

You are of course quite right about Stanier - the LMS was looking for a good'un and knew where to find one.

Those funny four digit numbers made life easier for us trainspotters on the Oxford to Worcester line though - I remember that when we saw a 'midland' or 'standard' aproaching two of us would get the number by one getting the first two numbers and another getting the third, fourth and fifth. I suppose we who were brought up on Western locos just couldnt cope with longer numbers !!. Oh happy memories indeed.

Pleased you enjoyed your visits to a proper railway all those years ago !.

All the Best,

Regards

• Like 1