Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Model railways as aspirational items

Steve R

I thought RMWeb members might be intrigued by these. They are adverts for bank accounts/wealth management products in Hong Kong, both featuring model railways.

The first is from DBS bank, photographed in 2007, but was used for about two years.

The second, from Bank of Communications is more recent.

The implication seems to be that model railways are a 'luxury' item/symbol of affluence. What amuses me is the different 'image' of the hobby - I can't imagine model railways being used in advertsing in the UK this way. Also interesting that both depict German models.

A positive sign for the hobby though?

Steve R.

post-1075-0-88730200-1359272694_thumb.jpg

post-1075-0-92172100-1359272724_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Actually, thinking on the recent BBC4 programme on model railways (with a thread of its own here), model railways in this country started out as a rich man's 'plaything' made by Bassett-Lowke (from Germany), and took a much longer time to become a child's toy made in this country. Maybe the Asian experience is just following the same pattern?

• RMweb Premium

Indeed, they both look "HO" to me whereas most Japanese model in N, as it's much smaller hence the ability to get a layout in the average sized Japanese home, which is fairly small considering what we're used to over here.

Chinese, not Japanese....Hong Kong.

• RMweb Gold

My brother is out in Hong Kong and the price he paid for a terraced house is extortionate compared to even in the South East except for some places in Central London and he isn't even in a central location.

No chance of him ever having model railways though!

I thought RMWeb members might be intrigued by these. They are adverts for bank accounts/wealth management products in Hong Kong, both featuring model railways.

Steve, that's very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

A positive sign for the hobby though?

More of a cross-cultural thing I suspect. A combination of the prestige associated with having a home large enough to accomodate a model railway with some post-empire nostalgia for old Hong Kong in the association with the very British love of railways.

As some have mentioned, space is definitely an issue in Hong Kong. Although they are both quite compact layouts, the space implication might be there.

I just find it surprising that the ad agency or whoever created these campaigns, considers their target customers would perceive model railways in the same realm as more obvious things like sports cars, fine wines and yachts. Proving the point, today I noticed Bank of Communications has taken the billboards at the entrance to Western Harbour Tunnel. The model railway ad is on one panel, and their ad featuring a happy family aboard a yacht on the other. Without wishing to over-analyse things, model railways don't have the scope for entertaining/impressing your friends and associates that cars, wine and yachts have.

Proving the point, today I noticed Bank of Communications has taken the billboards at the entrance to Western Harbour Tunnel. The model railway ad is on one panel, and their ad featuring a happy family aboard a yacht on the other. Without wishing to over-analyse things, model railways don't have the scope for entertaining/impressing your friends and associates that cars, wine and yachts have.

Interesting, though, that the second ad. plays up the "father and son" thing, very like the old Hornby ads.

Best wishes

Eric

Archived