Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Older Inspirational Layouts

For me, there were two primary character forming layouts.

The first was The Rev. Awdry's layout (Sodor?) which I was honoured to be allowed to operate for a few minutes amidst a throng of Vicars (my Dad being one of them), and I think Rev. Teddy Boston and Rev. Arthur (A4) Paling at Central Hall Westminster when I was quite young. It certainly inspired me, as I suggest it did for many others, and reading this thread, I was surprised it hadn't been mentioned before.

Next, also at Central Hall, was Borchester. Looking back 50 odd years, I can remember spending hours just spellbound by it. Having "operations" explained to me by one of the operators somehow fascinated me, and stuck with me throughout my later life. Then, being given a Southern Region Working Timetable (can't remember who gave it to me), I became inexorably hooked and addicted from then onwards.

Over the years, many excellent layouts have inspired me with some detail or other. I cannot remember all their names. The most recent was Dagworth. After a period out of modelling, Dagworth at Ally Pally brought me back to life. The design, the detail, the technology.

Truth is, there are a lot of inspiring layouts out there.

Edited by Andy SR
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

It is funny have inspiration goes from one to another. I was very inspired by the various EM layouts of Martin Brent particularly Rye Harbour. Later Martin had moved to 0 gauge and fairly near to me. I took him to see Ken Paynes layout and he related that as a boy Ken's Tyling branch had inspired him.

As a boy I was also inspired by the Groves Rydale 2mm layout and the 0 gauge layout of Banwell which being a garden layout had part of a shed at Central hall.

A lot of inspiration came from this layout belonging to a friend and which I have had the pleasure of operating many times.

post-8525-0-12361200-1359537446_thumb.jpg

post-8525-0-79057000-1359537464_thumb.jpg

Don

• Like 8

From opening the March 1981 edition of Model Railways [which I still have] and seeing Martin Brent's EM "Arcadia, An Essay in Minimum Space 4mm Fine Scale" my modelling life took a whole new direction.. 

September 81 had Wyndlesham Cove by Barry Norman, April 83's RM saw the Maxted's Darenth, based on Westerham. Feb 4's RM with Dave Lowery's Bevleys. 

Last, but by no means least Jan 84's RM had 'Bollingrove' Nick Dearnaley's 2mm finescale Midland pre-group layout, built with the new fangled L section open plan ply system!

I have retained only these magazines from that period in my files and still find inspiration looking through them, as I just have.

Later MRJ became my journal of choice and then I discovered Iain Rice, the Terry Pratchett  of model railways, but that's a whole different story.....

• Like 4

then I discovered Iain Rice, the Terry Pratchett  of model railways, but that's a whole different story.....

I love that description.

Now, if this topic was "Older inspirational modellers" I would have to put Iain at the very top of my list.

I think I have read every word written by him, apart from his American stuff, and go back to his work again and again, whether it is directly relevant to my modelling or not. As far as I am concerned he is the doyen of authors in our field - and a lovely man. 

Ian

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

I think it was Lydney. I saw this layout at the Corn Exchange, Leeds circa 1970 after having seen it in RM. The Sundown and Sprawling was also there with it's models of Lion, Kestrel and other one-off prototype diesels.

Hi HSB

You beat me to it Mike Cole's Sundown and Sprawling. Not only scratchbulit prototype diesels but back in the 60s even the everyday diesel classes were scratchbuilt by Mike.  He was alone in a world of grieving steam modellers building the locos I trainspotted. Mike made his diesels from brass, and I have used plastic to scracthbuild mine but if it wasn't for his inspiration I would never even considered building my own locos.....it was something middle aged steam modellers done.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi Clive

The Sundown and Sprawling certainly stood out from the crowd with its straight end to end run of 60' (if I remember correctly) and in my younger days I was far more excited at seeing the latest diesels than the old steam kettles!

• RMweb Premium

Over the years, many excellent layouts have inspired me with some detail or other. I cannot remember all their names. The most recent was Dagworth. After a period out of modelling, Dagworth at Ally Pally brought me back to life. The design, the detail, the technology.

Truth is, there are a lot of inspiring layouts out there.

Hi Andy

I was at the same Ally Pally show with my layout......where were my son and best mate, in the Goth Playpen (Dagworth) helping Andi operate his layout :wild: Mind you my reserve crew that weekend were excellent.

As for Dagworth I think it is a good layout, to view, to operate and has lots of wonderful features. Just it is a (non RMweb word) to assemble and take down. Come to think of it after packing Hanging Hill up I somehow got involved in the dismatleing of Dagworth because I could not go home as I had to wait for Number One sun.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

I love that description.

Now, if this topic was "Older inspirational modellers" I would have to put Iain at the very top of my list.

I think I have read every word written by him, apart from his American stuff, and go back to his work again and again, whether it is directly relevant to my modelling or not. As far as I am concerned he is the doyen of authors in our field - and a lovely man. 

Ian

Me too - and I read his American stuff too - I'm bi....countries, that is!!  I'd love to meet him, he has inspired me for years and I personally enjoy his style, although I understand it's not to everyone's taste.

Didn't think he looked to well on the telly last week.....

• Like 2

There are probably hundreds of layouts I can remember from this era. The late 80's and early 90's was my childhood years so I was enthralled by the latest layouts in Railway Modeller.

The ones I would have to single out and still look at regularly today are

Steve Flints Reighton and especially Kyle of Tongue. He had a wonderful knack of chosing rural backwaters and running them as such with great information about the lines services in the articles. There wasnt piles of stock or endless loco lists so the whole thing felt easily achievable, albeit not at that level of realism.

Nether Stowey. Not a lot needs to be said. N gauge masterpiece. Small space and very impressionable to a young lad with a love of all things Great Western at that time. Good use of RTP and readily available kits again made it feel like it was something you could aspire to, again not at that level of brilliance but in sense of space and feel.

Also mentions for Hursley and Newcastle Haymarket which kept drawing me in.

At the other end of the size scale, and one that doesnt appear to have been mentioned is Tonbridge West Yard. I love the old fashioned feel of departmental services and that along with the then relatively unusual setting of SR MK1 emus just seemed so refreshing. I remember being somewhat disappointed when visiting the real location that its yard wasnt quite as interesting as I was led to believe by the excellent model. 

Hi Andy

I was at the same Ally Pally show with my layout......where were my son and best mate, in the Goth Playpen (Dagworth) helping Andi operate his layout :wild: Mind you my reserve crew that weekend were excellent.

As for Dagworth I think it is a good layout, to view, to operate and has lots of wonderful features. Just it is a (non RMweb word) to assemble and take down. Come to think of it after packing Hanging Hill up I somehow got involved in the dismatleing of Dagworth because I could not go home as I had to wait for Number One sun.

Hello Clive,

If my memory serves me correctly, I first saw Hanging Hill (MPD?) at Witham Exhibition some several years ago?  

Me too - and I read his American stuff too - I'm bi....countries, that is!!  I'd love to meet him, he has inspired me for years and I personally enjoy his style, although I understand it's not to everyone's taste.

Didn't think he looked to well on the telly last week.....

From a post on another forum, I believe he is suffering from Parkinsons - which probably explains the "unwell" comments - my comiserations to him.

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Most of the above of course, especially Buckingham. Also the W.S Norris layout. But my very first copy of Railway Modeller in February 1959 (one of the few I've kept) featured a 00 layout built for a Mr Penfold by Messrs Miller and Philo, under the title 'A Magnificent System'. Its spacious and uncluttered look took my breath away. It still does, and though the 'looped eight' set up may nowadays be considered a bit retro I think some of the techniques applied were ahead of their time. I've often wondered who Mr Penfold was, and whether it was ever finished (there were no photos of the large main station. I remember that the track was 'Pecoway Super' whatever that was. Looked a lot better than Streamline!

Some of the older layouts that inspired me at the time still do but I was barely aware of Borchester Market in its prime and now go to shows mainly to see it.

When I was a youngster I didn't get to many exhibitions except the MRC Easter show, so I mostly knew layouts from articles about them. Very often I think it was the ability of modellers like P.D. Hancock, John Charman and Peter Denny to write inspiringly that was at least as important as the actual quality of their layouts.

For me the inspiring older layouts include well know ones like the Madder Valley, the first Craig and Mertonford, Charford, Berrow, and the original Leighton Buzzard (more than the rest of the Buckingham branch for some reason) but also some less famous layouts including the Rev. P.H.Heath's 00n3 Llanfair, his equally simple 00 "Piano Line", David Lloyd's Augher Valley and, not quite so old, Andy Hart's Achaux.  One layout that fascinated me was Cliff Young's original Denver and Rio Grande. The real thing wasn't half as interesting when I rode on it in 1970 though the scenery was better.

The oldest layout that I still find inspiring, though I only really found out about it a few years ago, is Bill Banwell and Frank Applegate's 0 gauge Maybank. It was described in MRN in 1934, though first exhibited two years earlier, and was the first fully fledged (main line) terminus to fiddle yard layout.

I would define all these layouts as inspiring because I still go to back to the articles about them, and in the case of the Madder Valley, to Pendon to see it in the flesh.

P.S. I'd forgotten the simplest but one of the most inspiring: Alan Wright's Inglenook Sidings.

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 5

Anyone remember the very large scale trams which were exhibited seemingly every year at the Manchester exhibition in the Corn Exchange near to Victoria station ?. They allways intrigued me, the sheer size, weight, noise and smell of ozone !!. The was no scenery (or very little), and the track was sort of sectional.

I also remember a live steam end to end gauge 1 layout here - the steam being electrically generated by a low voltage / high current third rail set up. GMMT or something it was called. I remember a Peak class loco on this layout. One train actually crashed into the end of the layout, scattering all the onlookers, wiping out the station building, and ending up on the floor.

Manchester back then was THE show here in the North West. I still have all the programmes from the 60's (somewhere in the loft - yet to find !!). Quite a few layouts mentioned more than likely where exhibited here - just that it was so,so long ago I can't remember them.

Brit15

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

. I remember a Peak class loco on this layout. One train actually crashed into the end of the layout, scattering all the onlookers, wiping out the station building, and ending up on the floor.

That sounds like Manchester Central-New Mills by Bob Ledger. O gauge, centre stud pickup. He used to display sections of his garden railway with block signalling.

My memory is that the Peak was fine!

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 4

Newbryford - Yes thats the one, one station was named Manchester Central. I allways thought it was gauge 1 - but time plays tricks with my memory !! (owd'er and daft'er as they say !!).

I'll dig out those programmes.

Brit15

One layout that fascinated me was Cliff Young's original Denver and Rio Grande.

Oh yes, I remember that well from a couple of RMs in ?1966 - fascinating use (for the time) of waybills for sorting and making up freight trains.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I also remember a live steam end to end gauge 1 layout here - the steam being electrically generated by a low voltage / high current third rail set up. GMMT or something it was called. 

Newbryford - Yes thats the one, one station was named Manchester Central. I allways thought it was gauge 1 - but time plays tricks with my memory !! (owd'er and daft'er as they say !!).

I'm not sure your memory is so flawed. I remember seeing something about this exhibition layout in Model Railway Constructor (God, remember that mag?) and it being electrically controlled and fired live steam, and yes, Gauge 1. it was called the GMT layout - which stood for something like Getgood, Mills and Thompson, the owners. I'm ready to be corrected but I'm pretty certain on this one. The very concept left something of an impression on this (then!) young mind.

Anyone remember the very large scale trams which were exhibited seemingly every year at the Manchester exhibition in the Corn Exchange near to Victoria station ?. They allways intrigued me, the sheer size, weight, noise and smell of ozone !!. The was no scenery (or very little), and the track was sort of sectional.

Brit15

Hiya Brit15,

Did you not go to our 75th anniversary show, two years ago? The big trams were back for this very special show, along with many, many other fine layouts! A shame if you did miss it!

"Manchester back then was THE show here in the North West. I still have all the programmes from the 60's (somewhere in the loft - yet to find !!). Quite a few layouts mentioned more than likely where exhibited here - just that it was so,so long ago I can't remember them."

Yes! many of the layouts mentioned in this thread were at that show, IMHO it was nearly as good as the MRJ show.

To misquote Arnie "We'll be back"!

Cheers,

John E.

MMRS exhibition manager.

• Like 3

From a post on another forum, I believe he is suffering from Parkinsons - which probably explains the "unwell" comments - my comiserations to him.

Thats terrrible news, I used to know Ricey a little back in the day (further back than I realised!) and as well as being inspiring in his writing and modelling he always seemed a fine chap :)

I hope I'm not being too po-faced but unless the person concerned has themselves made it public, should we really be discussing what we may have heard about someone's medical condition on an openly available forum? The fact that someone on other forum has chosen to post what they think they know doesn't mean we should spread the rumour. Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 1

Think you might possibly have got that quote a bit wrongly attributed me old - I made a comment to a post not the top bit ;)

Sorted- I'd meant to strip the name attibution but failed to. I'll stick to editing in BBCode.

Fair enough if he has mentioned it in one of his books.

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 1