Poulton - le - Fylde

G-Mac

Hi Terry,

Totally agree with you about the 150's. Personally i think they are some of the best Bachmann models produced in recent years, running quality on them all is fantastic.

Cheers,

Greig

Just come across this layout topic, and I have to say it is looking fantastic.

It also brings back memories of my childhood in the early 1970s, as I grew up here.  Back then summer Saturdays were a constant procession of excursion traffic heading to Blackpool North.  At one time there were also an extra pair of running lines for the non-stopping traffic - hence the extra arch under Breck Road on the south (Blackpool direction) side of the station.  The main problem would be having the fiddle yards to cope !!

regards, Chris

Just come across this layout topic, and I have to say it is looking fantastic.

It also brings back memories of my childhood in the early 1970s, as I grew up here.  Back then summer Saturdays were a constant procession of excursion traffic heading to Blackpool North.  At one time there were also an extra pair of running lines for the non-stopping traffic - hence the extra arch under Breck Road on the south (Blackpool direction) side of the station.  The main problem would be having the fiddle yards to cope !!

regards, Chris

Hi Chris,

Many thanks for your kind words on the layout.

I had always wondered about that additional arch on the bridge along with the remnants of some old track and other pieces lying around but had never been able to find photos or a track plan showing the station in that period. It would have been very interesting indeed if the lines had still existed today.

Cheers,

Greig

• 2 weeks later...
"Coping" with it

Long overdue, the coping stones have been completed on "Breck Road" bridge and also on the ramp down to the car park behind the station platform. The "Coping Stones" are made from plastic strip scribed at regular intervals to define the individual stones. These were then painted.

Here are a few pics of progress:

Cheers

Greig

post-7665-0-53717900-1368966451_thumb.jpg

post-7665-0-93913400-1368966481_thumb.jpg

post-7665-0-35715400-1368966509_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

A step back in time today as i decided to give Regional Railways class 150 a run on the layout. I was surprised how well it seems to fit the layout aesthetically, maybe a 1990's running session is required at some point. Here are a few pictures:

post-7665-0-95764200-1370091711_thumb.jpg

post-7665-0-55779700-1370091742_thumb.jpg

post-7665-0-75663900-1370091771_thumb.jpg

post-7665-0-17624900-1370091800_thumb.jpg

Hi all,

A step back in time today as i decided to give Regional Railways class 150 a run on the layout. I was surprised how well it seems to fit the layout aesthetically, maybe a 1990's running session is required at some point. Here are a few pictures:

attachicon.gifIMAG1151.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG1156.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG1163.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG1176.jpg

A lot scope for variety if you do, loco hauled trains with 31s and 37s on the same day as well as a similar variety of multiple unit types as seen today. Also freight off the Fleetwood line from Burne Naze.

Also Hauled Intercity trains with 47s. There was even stored early EMU types passing through going to Blackpool CS occasionally and some 1st Gen units!

Thanks very much for the fantastic comments, its good to know that the pictures and the layout are being enjoyed. Additionally thanks JBM37404 for the info.

Cheers,

Greig

You have done a good job anyhow! Pass through there semi regularly and its a spot on re creation.

The roadworks are well underway on "Breck Road" bridge and now feature additional detailing such as traffic cones, hi-vis tape and more weathering. Here are a few pictures:

Cheers,

Greig

post-7665-0-83633500-1370605406_thumb.jpg

post-7665-0-62040200-1370605441_thumb.jpg

post-7665-0-74468000-1370605483_thumb.jpg

post-7665-0-42639100-1370605530_thumb.jpg

post-7665-0-10459900-1370605564_thumb.jpg

love it, love it, love it......im running out of superlatives for you greig.

im just uploading some pictures of the new station im currently scratch building so take a look when you got time and let me know what you think.it is still only a work in progress tho!!!

Thanks Terry for the fantastic comments, glad the layout is being enjoyed.

Starting to get all the odds and ends finished off in time for the Perth show so will hopefully be posting pics quite regularly.

Cheers,

Greig

Hi

Fantastic layout. I spent many of my formative years travelling from Blackpool North to Poulton to meet up with my mates in the square at Poulton, so this brings back many memories. So thanks for the trip down memory lane and sharing your layout with us.

Regards

Kal

in the fourth picture down there is a green/grey electrical box of some description on the bottom left of the picture next to the railway lines.where did you get it from or is it scratch built?

im asking as i have been looking for something similar.

terry

in the fourth picture down there is a green/grey electrical box of some description on the bottom left of the picture next to the railway lines.where did you get it from or is it scratch built?

im asking as i have been looking for something similar.

terry

Hi Terry,

The battery box that you mention is a mixture of different kits, i think the components are:

• The main box is a Unit Models battery box (HO) with the roof removed,
  • A new ribbed roof is made from strip styrene,
  • The legs from it are chopped down versions from an old knightwing portacabin kit.

Cheers,

Greig

Archived