Tyne Dock 9Fs, did they escape occasionally?

As the new owner of a Bachmann 9F which has had Tyne Dock air pumps added, along with an oddly placed Kamikaze locoman holding an oil can! Why would a third crewman be standing on the running plate :scratchhead:

Anyway it cost me £50, the air pump installation looks to have been done quite well, the strange figure, who looking at his cap could be from an American range, has been removed along with the lamps stuck on with huge blobs of glue. The tender had been filled with lumps of balsa wood which wouldn't have looked out of place on an American logging loco, also now removed.

It doesn't now look too bad, so my question is were the Tyne Dock 9Fs confined to slogging up to Consett or did they escape every so often? It's not an area I know much about apart from what I've read in Books and magazines. Would it be possible that one or other could have turned up (quite a bit) further south?

I'll have a look in the various books in the club library next week but often they focus on the routine stuff whereas I'm looking for the less than usual which can often be found in magazines, but only perhaps if you're looking for it at the time.

Thanks in advance for any replies 

Guest Max Stafford

There's a definite sighting of 92063 at Kingmoor in 1965, recorded on film by one J.F. Coulton. By this time however, wee Sulzers were beginning to poach the Consett jobs but if you imagine an asymmetric shape with Carlisle, Glasgow, Edinburgh and York on the corner you have a fair indication of their sphere of operation by the mid '60s.

Dave.

In Tim Shackleton's 'Plastic Bodied Loco's' book, I think [i'll have to check this] that he mentions one turning up Banbury of all places - there may even be a picture. If I've remembered this correctly it would have been a gross anomaly and likely only happened once (assuming that it did and I haven't imagined it).

Adam

I tell a lie, the picture (on pp. 140-1), is of 92065 at Chester. Not as far south as Banbury, but still on heck of a distance from Tyne Dock.

There are, by the way, some very nice black and white shots of several of these in their native habitat here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52467480@N08/6440854071/in/set-72157628244900523/lightbox/

Adam

Thanks for the replies, Banbury would have been excellent as it would almost certainly have gone down the GC. probably on a York job.

So if we said that York 'borrowed' one for a trip to Annesley or even Woodford Halse, and Annesley or Woodford did their (semi) regular trick of hanging onto any good loco they could get their hands on, it might be OK in the Nottingham area :locomotive:

To put it into context, my era is around the time of the Annesley Scots which were by all accounts,  and to put it politely for the sake of those of a sensitive (LMS) disposition, well past their best even to the point of being 'Scrapman dodgers'  At least one of the contingent was condemned as soon as it arrived at Annesley, and several only lasted a few months.  

As shown in the photos linked to by Adam at least one of them was tarted up for special events near their last days.

White buffers, coupling etc but what does not show is that one/some had the regional background colour to the smoke box numberplate.

AFAIK the Tyne Dockers never had the top front lamp iron lowered in the manner of the Carlisle contingent post 1964.

Bernard

I seem to remember a phot of one at Gloucester appearing in a mag sometime in the last couple of years. A K1 turned up on coal train at Avonmouth once so I suppose a Tyne Dock 9F at Gloucester isn't beond the realms of possibility.

Porcy

I remember photo of one around about 1966 working as station pilot of all things at Glasgow Buchanan St. probably up at works for repair / overhaul and being run in. Photo was in Steam Days/ Backtrack or similar.

Was that not 92015? That wasn't one of the Tyne Dock engines.

I may be wrong but I'm sure I have seen a photograph of one at Eastfield either on its way to or coming from a repair at Cowlairs works. Can't recall which publication it was and I can't access my books as I'm working in the middle of Africa at present (and the baggage allowance wasn't as generous as the couple of tones I would have needed....)

Paul

Archived