Sodem Lane. 3rd rail terminus with small diesel MPD

angell328

Hello All,

Time to put pen to paper and introduce my new project Sodem Lane. The layout represents a fictional location on the northern extreme of the Network South East area. It is a 3 line 3rd rail terminus with parcel line, small MPD with diesel refueling and maintenance facilities and a small private owner freight handling facility.

Bit of a strange coming together of parts I know, but it enables me to run the majority of the stock I own in a resonably prototypical setting. I shall be concentrating on the years between 1986 and 1992, athough with a few cosmetic tweaks it could be made to run almost anytime frame.

Now as the Mrs is over in Oz visiting family for 7 weeks, time to take over the lounge!

First of all a track plan!

buxton clone parcels siding point And signal three

After some help and tweaks by some of the Signaling guru's the above is what was left. Now time to start putting some track to board.

Sodem Lane Build

Sodem Lane Build

Sodem Lane Build

Sodem Lane Build

Sodem Lane Build

Sodem Lane Build

Few issues where found as I was laying, had to move the template slightly to avoid baseboard joins that I thought I had already accounted for! As the saying goes, no plan last longer than first contact with the enemy!

Once everything was tacked into place and had pushed small truck round to check for any tight points, it was time to remove the template.

Sodem Lane Build

Sodem Lane Build

Sodem Lane Build

IMG_9207.JPG

IMG_9206.JPG

IMG 9244

Look out its the Goodies!

IMG 9227

The head of engineering in residence!

IMG 9229

Everything was looking good at this point and was very happy with myself. Then my mate came down to stay weekend and pop to Calne Model rail show. He pointed out and suggested a few changes. Seems I had become so blinkered to following the plan I had spent so long designing I had not seen two obvious choke points.

First of which was the MPD lines.
The plan was to have a twin line Shed with a stabling line. The way it had been put in looked very squashed and didn't leave any space for the refueling point. So out came a set of points and the center line to the MPD. Now I was left with a single line shed and a stabling/refueling line. Very glad Mr B suggested removing the line as the Yard now has a much nicer proportion and prototypical look.
Before

IMG 9251

IMG 9252

After

IMG 9259

IMG 9260

The second suggestion was to remove one of the lines into the steel unloading bay. Again removing one of the lines and lengthing the other 2 gave a much better flow and look.

Before

IMG 9261

IMG 9263

After

IMG 9264

IMG 9267

So a case of less is definatly more!

Once everything was down, time to put all the droppers in and connect upto the main buss lines. Then playtime to see if the layout was as fun to operate as I hoped!

IMG 9284

IMG 9283

IMG 9285

IMG 9278

Shall keep you posted with progress over coming weeks, months!

Thanks for reading, all comments welcome.

Matt

Hi,

Yep Buxton was a big influance on my design, love the way the MPD is just squeezed onto the back due to the terrain. Made a few additions and tweaks to suit my ideas and rolling stock so has a bit more playablity for me, and if I ever get the chance to exhibit a bit more interest for viewers.

The layout can be operated by two people, one on the station and main lines and the other working the MPD and steel unloading yard. So there should always be something moving!

There are a few places for the crane to be parked up, so my little baby will get a fair amount of time in the spotlight!

Well this week will see me starting the point motor placement and wiring, off to a show with Mr B this weekend so should be able to pick up the other 14 Seep PM1 motors I need, will be buying the show out of them!

Once they are all in position I will be building my mimic panel, so lots of fun pictures of my birds nest coming your way.

Cheers

Matt

Well this week will see me starting the point motor placement and wiring, off to a show with Mr B this weekend so should be able to pick up the other 14 Seep PM1 motors I need, will be buying the show out of them!

Once they are all in position I will be building my mimic panel, so lots of fun pictures of my birds nest coming your way.

Cheers

Matt

I look forward to seeing an Avionics & electrical teckie at work!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all!

Thanks Mr B, everyone is going to expect professional wiring and routing now!

Well this week between work and the NORO virus I have been putting in point motors, and starting off the wiring.

I am using Seep PM1 point motors so I can have the frog switching, through the accessary switch contacts. I am using some short wheelbase locos for shunting work so what a really good powerflow through the points.

I was originally planing to have a mimic panel with route indicator lights and switches, unfortunatly due to the fact you can only use the seep switch for one use (route indication or track polarity) I am now going to use stud and probe on the mimic panel, not as flashy but just as effective! I know I could use a relay or microswitch to add extra functions off the point motor, but a combination of cost, time and simplicity have led me to the stud and probe road.

Few pictures of my wiring and mess it has currently made of the house!

Sodem lane under board wiring

I am using 20 pin scart connectors for the point switching lines, a separate buss line for the point CDU return line with droppers from the motors and 2 pin connectors for the DCC power lines. The track power is supplied from my Dynamis, the 16V AC for the CDU comes from my trusty clipper power unit. The good thing about the clipper is it has a 16V AC and 12V DC outputs, 16V for CDU and 12V will be used as a supply for lighting, signals etc.

Right best see if I can get a few more motors wired up before bed!

Cheers

Matt

Hi Duncan,

Thanks for the info about the route indication, see how he has done it using the track feed switching off the lines themselves. Be able to use that no matter what switching motor you used, something to think about as I have most of the switches and LED's. Will see what my wire stock is like once I've got everything wired up as is, if there is available materials and time may well double up the runs from the points to LED indiction on the mimic panel.

Cheers

Matt

Evening all,

Been a right busmans holiday for me today. Spent all day arms deep in a Hercules engine sorting out wiring faults, then came home to spend all evening wiring and looming my layout!

Got 2 of the 3 boards all loomed in now, have put the last few point wires to the scart plugs, then got my lacing cord out and put spot ties alone to create looms. Makes everything look a lot tidier and it also stiffens up the loom to stop sagging and the possiblity of snagging. I was thinking about using heat shrink tubing, but deceided against as it makes it harder to add new wire runs if needed in the future.

As I'm going to raise the main running line track bed a bit I shall be finishing off the point motors on 3rd board when that has been finalised. Not really much else to tell so will put few pictures up and leave things open to any comments and questions.

Board one

Sodem Lane under board wiring

Board one loom and spot ties

Board two

Seep wiring close up

3 way point close up

Cheers

Matt

• 7 months later...

Evening all!

Thanks Mr B, everyone is going to expect professional wiring and routing now!

Well this week between work and the NORO virus I have been putting in point motors, and starting off the wiring.

I am using Seep PM1 point motors so I can have the frog switching, through the accessary switch contacts. I am using some short wheelbase locos for shunting work so what a really good powerflow through the points.

I was originally planing to have a mimic panel with route indicator lights and switches, unfortunatly due to the fact you can only use the seep switch for one use (route indication or track polarity) I am now going to use stud and probe on the mimic panel, not as flashy but just as effective! I know I could use a relay or microswitch to add extra functions off the point motor, but a combination of cost, time and simplicity have led me to the stud and probe road.

Few pictures of my wiring and mess it has currently made of the house!

Bit late to the party, but i've got another method that will fit your requirement if you're interested...... You'll get to use switches, change frog polarity, and have a LED read of which way tracks are set. It's a big break from the norm though.

Sounds interesting! Hoping to get back to working on the layout soon. Its all set up in its new home, all I have to do now is get rid of the extra Land Rover parts in the garage and shall have some space to play.

Next on the list is to get the control panel built and get on with some scenics.

Matt

Let me know if you want a schematic, I keep thinking i probably should build it and test it first.

Sounds interesting! Hoping to get back to working on the layout soon. Its all set up in its new home, all I have to do now is get rid of the extra Land Rover parts in the garage and shall have some space to play.

Next on the list is to get the control panel built and get on with some scenics.

Matt

Yeah i know that problem......

(when are you next over this way so i can make you clutter your garage even more?)

I'm back at work tomorrow then all of the foreseeable future mon to fri! They have me working out of base hanger again (joy) but that's only 10 mins round the airfield.

Finally managed to get back in the garage and start playing on layout again tonight, after all the distractions of detachments, decorating house and getting Landy through its MOT can finally tinker again. Tonight was just fettling buildings around and getting a general feel of what looks right.

Hopefully next few weeks will see a start to the scenics, spraying up the track, and starting the long task of ballasting and plastering the concrete pads. Shall keep you posted!

Matt

I'm back at work tomorrow then all of the foreseeable future mon to fri! They have me working out of base hanger again (joy) but that's only 10 mins round the airfield.

Finally managed to get back in the garage and start playing on layout again tonight, after all the distractions of detachments, decorating house and getting Landy through its MOT can finally tinker again. Tonight was just fettling buildings around and getting a general feel of what looks right.

Hopefully next few weeks will see a start to the scenics, spraying up the track, and starting the long task of ballasting and plastering the concrete pads. Shall keep you posted!

Matt

Looking forward to more Matt...... :sungum:

• 1 month later...

Archived