Pixash Lane - now owned by Bentley Model Railway Group

Gilbert

• RMweb Gold

Feel free Luis

Ask any questions you like - and I'll probably fail miserably to answer them - I'm not up to speed on N gauge but the design does rely on effective couplers if you want to get the most out of if

Olá

Chris

Got my Sunday morning read ready, Railway Modeller, Pixash Lane topic.  From my sneak peek it will add to what is already in this topic so further enjoyment awaits me, well done Chris.

Best.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Chris.

Thank you for you reply.

For now I dont have any doubt, but I was wondering if this can be used with 1970/80 BR Blue diesels? Those are my favourite liveries. 

No reason why not - its completely fictitious anyway! (and Rule 1 applies whatever - it's your trainset...)

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

To echo other comments this is a really nice layout - busy enough in the space you've used but not 'too busy'. When operating do you stick to set timetable / plan for movements?

Martin

Edited by maq1988

• RMweb Gold

To echo other comments this is a really nice layout - busy enough in the space you've used but not 'too busy'. When operating do you stick to set timetable / plan for movements?

Martin

Thanks Martin

Good question

We tend to adjust what we do based on the type and amount of watchers. No sequence but some basic principles.

We can operate the Cement works independently most of the time (and believe it or not those two sidings do entertain) but we can exchange Presflos or vans as required with the "mainline" for a bit of interest (except for the last 90 mins on Saturday at Exmoor Rail when the point blade failed) - it's amazing how many younger viewers don't realise the two halves of the layout are directly linked!

The layout proper is mainly operated using the good yard - coal, opens, vans etc - we do remove loads when the opportunity allows - and the Squaregrip siding with the loads of steel removed after delivery of the bolsters.

The rear siding - the paper mill - should have lots of vans going in and out but the long off stage shunt means we tend to avoid it. The loco etc disappearing under the road bridge and shunting works OK for the other lines but that is just a bit to much of a gap for the paper mill.

Through traffic includes a DMU; 64xx with a coach and vans pending arrival of an autocoach; engineering trains including various hoppers I am building for the next 4mm project; a Berry Wiggins tank train for the same project; light engines etc. I obviously take far more stock than I need but hey...it's my trainset...

We also try to interact with viewers - I now take a basic Kadee test track and height gauge  as we frequently get asked about KDs and one of the team always seems to end up running some sort of DCC advice clinic - so we tend to always go for 3 operators as a minimum as with two "layouts" to operate plus two fiddle yards to manage and the ad hoc clinics we keep quite busy!

Chris

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 4

Every time I look I find some other nugget of information for my Ideas file.

So far I've read here.............. on most days, got the Mag RM August just need to see it in the flesh. 

As I model in 0 gauge that will probably only happen in a multi-scale show so I'll be keeping my eyes open.

Good stuff Chris

Hi Glibert.

Have just gone through your topic for the first time and it is a lovely modelled layout. The video is also excellent and shows how much movement you can have in a small but well designed layout.

My question relates to the kadees you have fitted please. What number KD's for your steam locos and the stock. There are several layouts on here which seem to use a variety of KD numbers - just would like to know your approach please.

regards, Andy R

• RMweb Gold

Hi Glibert.

Have just gone through your topic for the first time and it is a lovely modelled layout. The video is also excellent and shows how much movement you can have in a small but well designed layout.

My question relates to the kadees you have fitted please. What number KD's for your steam locos and the stock. There are several layouts on here which seem to use a variety of KD numbers - just would like to know your approach please.

regards, Andy R

Andy

Wherever possible I use the 17-20 range in the NEM pockets (particularly locos as you then don't mess with the loco itself should it ever get sold on) - I try to get the face of coupling level with buffer heads - that seems to work and 18s and 19s do for most locos . Stock likewise but one or two of the Bachmann and older Hornby wagons have had the NEM sockets removed and standard KD box couplings added - the clp togther boxes and whisker  couplers meet 99% of my needs. Where operation is critical I do remove the NEM pockets and use proper KDs in the boxes - the Presflows are a case in point as the cement terminal is an area of intensive shunting  - I've done all 8 of them along with a couple of vans marked up for cement.

Dapol stuff has less reliable NEMS and often need a shim of strip styrene inserted along with the coupling to remove any droop. The class 22 needs attention most shows to get the couplers reliable. All kit built stock - Parkside, Chivers etc has boxed KDs planned in during the construction.

Chris

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Chris (I am not sure where Gilbert fits in?)

Many thanks for your informative reply.

Andy R

Hi Andy

My first layout was called Gilbert Junction (USA HO Boston and Maine) hence Gilbert as a name - confusingly I am not Chris Gilbert who also models USA HO...!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Some lessons learnt

1. Don't store 4x2s in the roof of your garage unless the racking is very secure...
  2. Don't leave your layout in the garage after a show rather than put it back where it lives with it's lid on...

post-1107-0-98842500-1438869663_thumb.jpg

This used to be a rather nice Churchward/Modelex Brass etched Signal Box...on the up side - nothing else appears to be damaged...

Chris

Edited by Gilbert
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Some lessons learnt

1. Don't store 4x2s in the roof of your garage unless the racking is very secure...
  2. Don't leave your layout in the garage after a show rather than put it back where it lives with it's lid on...

attachicon.gifP1190776comp.JPG

This used to be a rather nice Churchward/Modelex Brass etched Signal Box...on the up side - nothing else appears to be damaged...

Chris

I thought I heard some extreme cussing from down the lane!  Very sorry to hear about that Chris.

Gerry

• RMweb Gold

Some lessons learnt

• Don't store 4x2s in the roof of your garage unless the racking is very secure...
  • Don't leave your layout in the garage after a show rather than put it back where it lives with it's lid on...

Chris

Sure it was some 4x2 and not a 4mm Heinkel or two?

Herr Rob

• RMweb Gold

What a shame about that Signal Box, it was stunning, can you un solder and straighten any of it to rescue it?

Repairs look impractical - and not a good use of time - I fear a replacement may be due...that is a superb kit so maybe a Mark 2 should emerge...options include the newish Ratio GWR box but the proportions don't look quite right to me. A new build could at least re-use some of the bits I can salvage..

Thanks

Chris

Edited by Gilbert
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Some lessons learnt

• Don't store 4x2s in the roof of your garage unless the racking is very secure...
  • Don't leave your layout in the garage after a show rather than put it back where it lives with it's lid on...

Chris

Oh ! = b-u-g-g-e-r! Edited by leopardml2341