Pixash Lane - now owned by Bentley Model Railway Group

Gilbert

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I think Pixash has run it's course as an exhibition layout and it's not practical for me to set it up at home. It's stored now and I'm keen to see it go to a good home rather than be broken up - any suggestions as to how I go about a sale? I'm not interested in making loads of money but feel it must have some value? Your thoughts would be  appreciated...

Chris

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 1

I think Pixash has run it's course as an exhibition layout and it's not practical for me to set it up at home. It's stored now and I'm keen to see it go to a good home rather than be broken up - any suggestions as to how I go about a sale? I'm not interested in making loads of money but feel it must have some value? Your thoughts would be  appreciated...

Chris

Hi Chris,

Bentley MRG have a track record of buying up second hand layouts and reasonably local so maybe of interest to them? Failing that eBay, I managed to sell Pallet Lane through ebay, with ironically part of it being bought by a Bentley member. Also edit the Layout thread title on here to include "For Sale" which may get some interest?

Edited by 37114
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks to all for their help and suggestions.

Pixash Lane has today been delivered to a new owner and will hopefully be putting in an appearance at some more local shows over the next year or two.

I have not completely withdrawn from 4mm and a small quarry layout may appear soon....

ATB

Chris

• Like 4

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello to all who posted in this thread, I have been involved in model railways for just over two years at the Bentley Model Railway Group. Have operated this layout at Train West(2018) and Calne(2019) with other members of the club. Members who have operated the layout have all taken a shine to it. A few weeks after the Calne show I volunteered to become the clubs co-ordination for the layout hence why I am introducing myself to the thread

At the moment the layout is being rewired and we are looking at increasing the size of the fiddle yards.

Have also bought a Raspberry Pie, Arduino Uno and Motor shield to have a go at making a DCC controller (by following instruction on the internet). The idea being to try and embed a controller in the layout

Progress will be slow as I only attend the club house once a week for a few hours. Due to me liking a good chinwag and a hot drink I do not always get to work on the layout.

If people want me to keep the thread updated with progress reports please say? Also I hope people do not mind if I want to ask for advice as well?

Thanks Taff

• Like 4

• 9 months later...

Thought I would post another update as it has been a while

The Pixash side of the layout has now been rewired.

Next we will be rewiring the Twigg St section as well as planning to change the track layout on the fiddle yard section. Will also be extending the track on the front right to run onto a fiddle yard yet to be designed (I am looking at semi automating the layout, more to follow)

Have also purchased

Class 08

Class 03

Class 25

Class 35

Single car DMU

Cadbury closed box wagons, These are currently being weathered by one of the club members. 

Cadbury_Small.jpg.19dd24b34c2929038ce2bff299da32b6.jpg

The loco’s need chipping, still deciding on chips to use. I might look into ACB (Automatic Brake Control) to help me out with automating parts of the layout.

Have built and tested a DCC++ controller and wireless throttles also tested

20200218_212203.jpg.67c10f09d60d01f460b156a166d334cc.jpg

Will post an update on the electrics/electronic side of things soon

• Like 5

Here we go an an update on the electrics/electronics side of things

A bit about me - My working background is Computers / Electronics so hopefully this will give me a bit of a head start on this part. More so computing for the last 20 years. I miss the electronics side of my job so decided to join BMRG so I can tinker

After helping out operating layouts at a few shows Pixash being one of them. I have gained a fondness for DCC

Being a bit of a skin flint and shown articles about build your own DCC++ controller. I followed instructions on the internet and set about building a controller with an Arduino and Motor shield. Also followed internet instructions for the Raspberry Pie as the throttle controller. All built and tested after a few hiccups (see pictures in previous post)

I might well have a play with XtrckCAD to have a go at re designing the fiddle yards (time permitting). Due to Covid-19 and lock-down this might well happen

Also been shopping on the MERG website and have bought a solenoid controller, Cbus interface and a mimic panel to play with (another learning curve)

With any luck the MERG solenoid controller will be driving the PL10 solenoids already fitted to the layout. Will be removing the PL13 electrofrogs as they are giving bad readings on my AVO 8 meter. I have purchased some Guagemaster Autofrogs to try in their place (they look foolproof).

Currently looking at controlling the layout via JMRI and semi automating the front part. More to follow I do not want to tackle to many things at once as nothing will ever get done.

Please feel free to comment as I am new(ish) to the hobby and happy to take on new ideas

Thanks Taff

• Like 2

Hi Taffy,  You should be in good company at the BMRG with Tim Hitch and Chris White having similar interests in control systems (an area I am completely clueless).  Pixash Lane is a lovely layout so look forward to seeing it out and about again.

One thing I hope you don't mind me saying is when Chris owned the layout the stock was very much in keeping with the layout and to a high standard. I can't tell what the wagons are in the picture you posted but they appear to be  Hornby wagons from the 1980's with huge tension lock couplings which are really out of keeping with the layout. You have Dave Spencer in the club who is a wagon modelling expert (he is currently building a Slaters O gauge wagon for me)  and is very knowledgeable on what wagons would be suitable so maybe worth having a chat with him?

• Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks for sorting the title out Chris, One quick question do you have any more info on the signal box that got damaged? I would be nice to replace like for like if you know a supplier

Will keep this thread up to date with Progress Barnaby, it will be a good few weeks before the next update

Thanks 37114 for your tips, Chris has been very helpful and suggested my MERG purchases. I am trying to use similar electrics that are used on the club 00 gauge fiddle yard. What you are saying about the 80’s rolling stock makes perfect sense

Taff

• Like 2