Metropolitan (Chesham set), + Other projects Coaches, in OO

• 4 months later...

It's been a while, haven't updated this thread as much as I would like but all my 3D prints take a back seat when I am mass producing coupling converters...

Anyway, I have completed a set of 4 carriages for an Isle of Wight inspired layout.... which is still in the planning stage, so all 4 carriages are complete with stained glass transfers,  crests, still need to get round to doing interiors at some point...
The body and the floor, plus springs and buffers are all 3d printed, the transfers were produced by Precision Labels using my images, and help from Isle of Wight Steam Railway.

From start to finish this this project took 2 years.

49275076707_de62fbce3d_h.jpg
49275076427_069cb2240d_h.jpg

49274868616_e95d1bbd29_h.jpg

49274406418_9d8f863f32_h.jpg

Another small project was, a Hornby terrier... using 655 Stepney what better thing to do than cut it up, 3D print some bits and pieces and change it in to a preserved example.... well a little more to it that that... but you get the idea... I printed a new smokebox, a new door, coal rails, lubrication pots, and I blew the budget and 3D printed a bronze chimney cap.... shortly after shapeways announced a copper material... great... first time I printed in metal and it does look rather nice!
48527322672_741f5ecc62_b.jpg
48527332062_0ac16663a7_b.jpg
49275234902_7350cfc2f3_b.jpg
49275030386_aeee31b579_b.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• 5 months later...

Another carriage body designed a few months ago, SER - South Eastern Railway
Family/First Saloon 172, Not many measurements or drawings available for this particular carriage so working from photo's of what's left and some helpful measurements and pointers by Bluebell C&W team I managed to create a CAD model.

This was printed on a development printer which isn't exactly fast taking 36 hours to print. I designed 2 shells an earlier and a later version where the side windows moved to the back of the carriage.

49789403893_b2e8d27338_b.jpg
Early version 1)

49789946251_9bc187c7c9_b.jpg
Later version 2)

• Like 9

On 20/06/2020 at 19:16, Bluebell Model Railway said:

Another carriage body designed a few months ago, SER - South Eastern Railway
Family/First Saloon 172, Not many measurements or drawings available for this particular carriage so working from photo's of what's left and some helpful measurements and pointers by Bluebell C&W team I managed to create a CAD model.

This was printed on a development printer which isn't exactly fast taking 36 hours to print. I designed 2 shells an earlier and a later version where the side windows moved to the back of the carriage.

49789403893_b2e8d27338_b.jpg
Early version 1)

49789946251_9bc187c7c9_b.jpg
Later version 2)

Hi  Bluebell.

Are these the same as the Invalid Saloon that Branchlines used to/still do a kit for ? I think from memory only two were built and one was modified and fitted with double doors for this purpose. I think that this is the one that went to the Longmoor Military Railway and now survives in preservation on the Kent and East Sussex Railway.

I like the look of those Oldbury coaches. I have been watching them progress in the museum at Haven Street each year when we go over to the island with our vintage bus each October. Unfortunately, the Beer and Buses event has been cancelled this year, but there is still a faint chance that the steam railway might be operating in October and if so we may still take the bus over.

Another causality of the Covid crisis is the Bluebell Railway Model Railway Weekend and we would have been at Sheffield Park this weekend with our Crystal Palace High Level layout. Anyway, we have bee carried over to next years show, which we are looking forward to.

Keep up this excellent work.

All the best

Ray

• Like 1

Hi Ray, 

I spoke to branchlines before I started designing this as they don't do one of these... They do a Saloon as you say but different to this one... Finding any drawings for 172 was challenging... 

I thought I had found a kit on a well known auction site but again that was different but similar to this.. So only one option which was to design my own. 

This particular carriage is awaiting restoration and was a bungalow I think from memory... 

Yes I'll be popping over to Havenstreet today... Should be open again on the 12th July they are probably better set up for the new way of life compared to some railways... Yes beer and buses and various events being cancelled will certainly hurt this year, pubs and railways although was talk of last year being the last then changed their minds again... Mainly due to complaints mainly due to misbehaving. 

Yes it's sad with no exhibitions I was invited to a couple this year with various bits and pieces which would of helped with a bit of advertising but sadly shall have to do it online instead. 

Hopefully some normality next year? 

Thanks for the kind words

Cheers

Matt

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Matt.

Do I glean from your comments that there might be a service working on the Isle of Wight Steam Railway in October ?

Our bus group Secretary spoke to the chap who organises the beer and buses event and he said that it takes him 9 months to do all  the booking and preparations for the event and with all the uncertainties he would not commit to this years show. However, subject to the hotels being opened by then we should be able to make our booking and go over and support the railway.

I am not sure if you are making your prints available as kits ? I am certainly interested in anything S.E. & C..R. and other related items. In fact I have just received some L.B.S & S.C.R. and S.E. & C.R.  3D printed wagon kits from Turbosnail to help fill the gaps.

All the best

Ray

As long as the idiots control themselves and we don't have another lock down... Hopefully yes... First trains will run on the 12th July, booking only via the website.

So hopefully if things remain stable then should be running in October. 

Yes I expect hotels will be limited on capacity, I know there was a fair few issues last year one of the organisers Tim wasn't happy but apparently he does that every year... So who knows problem is I expect will be getting everyone to wear a mask... 

In September it's my hope to make body shells available when the bigger printer arrives, which is a fair bit quicker.. The SER shells took 36 hours to print.. And I have an Oldbury printing now been on 12 hours is at 50% so not really quick. Enough to produce body shells at numbers that is needed but hopefully in September I'll be in a position to do so. 

Cheers

Matt

Hi Matt.

Yes when discussing this with Turbosnail, he was saying that it was taking up to 24hrs to print some of the wagon kits. I think that he was also considering upgrading his printer to a Saturn.

I have scrutinised the I.O.W. Steam Railway website which confirms what you were saying. It also show what events have not been cancelled, and there is an Island Heritage Day on the Sunday before our normal weekend. So we might even move forward if we can sort the hotel booking.

Bye the way, how are your quality issues going. You were having a few lining problems with the Brighton 6w van. (I know that was  Shapeways or similar that printed it). I have noted that Turbosnail does his prints in a diagonal rather than horizontal format. Don't know if that makes it work better ?

All the best

Ray

• Like 1

Yes I have a saturn it's a good printer certainly a step forward however I know of course others will soon be doing the same Anycubic is also now doing one which looks promising, lower price point.. Believe the saturn will be £599 when it gets to Amazon in November. However as I said else where... Screens are not cheap $250 and also non standard FEP sheets for the Vat is going to cost... So in reality best getting a few more Mars printers. 

I just got off the phone to a member of the IWSR, discussing various things, believe most of the events will be cancelled however this depends on government advise... So it changes weekly... But I imagine if they do it will limited on numbers... Think they can get away with steam days they aren't particularly busy.. 

The shapeways issue of layer lines are still there which is why I'm moving away from Shapeways as the costs are rising, meaning to stay competitive I have very little margin to work with in terms of profits... $40 over 4 - 5 months... Where I'm hitting 4 figures per month £60 resin costs... So no competition really... 

At the moment I'm not using shapeways at all only for large carriage chassis... Which in that material there isn't too many issues. 

Cheers 

Matt 

1 hour ago, Bluebell Model Railway said:

As long as the idiots control themselves and we don't have another lock down... Hopefully yes... First trains will run on the 12th July, booking only via the website.

So hopefully if things remain stable then should be running in October. 

Yes I expect hotels will be limited on capacity, I know there was a fair few issues last year one of the organisers Tim wasn't happy but apparently he does that every year... So who knows problem is I expect will be getting everyone to wear a mask... 

In September it's my hope to make body shells available when the bigger printer arrives, which is a fair bit quicker.. The SER shells took 36 hours to print.. And I have an Oldbury printing now been on 12 hours is at 50% so not really quick. Enough to produce body shells at numbers that is needed but hopefully in September I'll be in a position to do so. 

Cheers

Matt

I'll eagerly look forward to September, put me down for a set of Oldbury's, they look superb!

Best,

Will

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Matt, I dip into your thread from time to time. It’s all looking great. I’ve seen the buzz around the Saturn. A few years ago I got a Peopoly Moai, I like it generally, And I’ve printed wagons and such, but it’s a bit of a dud when it comes to dimensional accuracy, so I mainly use it for detail items.

I’m looking forward to seeing what you do next.

• 2 years later...

I have been on the printer again, something new although old... Many years ago I made from scratch Dorking Greystone Lime Company, No. 3 ‘Captain Baxter’, I made at the time a basic 3D Cad, which was printed on a friends work place printer... I then got one 3D printed in resin on a site called Hubs, which is now totally different.
After 2/3 years I have been working on an upgraded version, seeing as my understanding of CAD has slightly improved.... meaning more detail and more small items, but I thought I would push things a bit further. As the original model uses an L&Y pug chassis, and motor takes up a lot of the cab, surely that could be improved...  although it went a bit further than that.

Overall quite happy with how it's come out, was only a prototype, and I have another to build to understand and improve on a few areas.

52399798796_b23edb3cd2_h.jpg
52400226400_b568b22bde_h.jpg
52399798771_3172eff2dc_h.jpg

• Like 13