Metropolitan (Chesham set), + Other projects Coaches, in OO

About a month or so on now, I have nearly finished all 4 carriages. The 3rd carriage composite arrived mid May and is now complete.

Those are absolutely fantastic! I must say that it looks like all that hard work paid off.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A lot of work and team work, and a lot of help.

I have just started finishing off the final composite coach in this set, which has been a bit of a struggle in recent weeks due to the failure rate from Shapeways.... Because of this I chose a different route on this last coach which was due to be finished at the end of June.. now in July I went with a local 3D print company called Graphite Additive Manufacturing, a company that does more checks on a print than you can think about.. which I like!

This last coach has been printed by SLA printer, so a laser curing resin to create the model.

I picked up the final print on Wednesday, and the qaulity was quite amazing, despite missing some smaller bits which was due to them being under the minimal print margins, the model was a lot smoother, the material is called ABS-Like.. although looking at other companies I Materialise does some thing similar called Prime Grey. It maybe double the cost but if your looking for a decent finish on a model then you have to be prepared to pay for it.
SLS Nylon - £23
SLA ABS-Like - £49

Anyway I hope to finish this model by the 19th July hopefully in time for High Wycombe club open day.
Here's some following images of the new print,

14440988107_ba52c6d71e_c.jpg

14440747090_efe9bd67bd_c.jpg

Few details added, and also primed ready for paint.

14627404035_1f063d3094_c.jpg

14440755070_4214919997_c.jpg

And almost all 4 finished not far to go.
14440729930_3150bbed85_c.jpg

Edit:
Now complete 368

DSC05476_zpsc3bbd8b8.jpg

Edited by Bluebell Model Railway
  • Like 14

Many Thanks
A number of measurements came from the actual coaches, along with some great photos from members from the Bluebell, as well as myself going down to look and photograph certain areas of the coaches to refine some of the smaller details, most of the key measurements came from Metropolitan Railway rolling stock book by James R Snowdon.

• 2 months later...

I have been working on another small range of models, first one off the test print is an LBSC, Perishable goods van. This has been designed on Sketchup as the shape is more simple for the program to work with. The general design was along the same lines as the Metropolitan stock, leaving holes for handrails and slot holes for steps and lamp irons.
The model will fit on a 6 wheel Hornby sausage van with out to much modification.

15139117120_41f89c6dff_c.jpg

I went with another 3D print company as I was impressed with the SLA print from the company I used in Aylesbury, this one from Imaterialise was on the right lines but sadly featured quite heavy print lines, this again was down to them saving money there end and not orientating the model correctly to stop the stepping effect on the roof and to some degree the sides which needed cleaning up.

15139098659_6e5f708d7e_c.jpg
15302814126_24efd68a6d_c.jpg
15139303707_869f84ba60_c.jpg

After some cleaning up on the model and a few coats of filler primer from Halfords the model wasn't looking too bad, most of the clean up could be avoided if they printed it correctly. Some split pins were used and bent in to shape for lamp irons, and 0.2mm x 3mm Brass strip was used for the steps on the model.
0.45mm brass wire used for the hand rail on the doors.

15139205279_e23273aed5_c.jpg
15302910976_2f0ed0f398_c.jpg

The model was the primed with normal Halfords grey primer, ready for painting in to LBSC umber brown.

15325823735_f66a6b92bc_c.jpg
15139262717_a1fb927932_c.jpg

Then the extremely fun part for me, although uncertain if this Van is supposed to be lined out or not, is up for debate, but the one that the Bluebell Railway has just restored number 270 although not in traffic yet, is lined out, with blue shaded lettering and numbers... so I will go with that, plus it looks a rather pretty vehicle lined plus I like a bit of a challenge.
Using Fox transfers 0.35mm lining, which is a tad thick for this but will have to do straights and corners were ordered and then on to the lining..

15139235518_b226fe4666_c.jpg

3 days later and some 24 hours spent on lining and putting transfers on the first side is complete... Just one more to go but one side finished is good enough to show.

15139069009_45edba55ae_c.jpg

• Like 8

• 9 months later...

This weekend is the Bluebell Railways Model railway weekend,

I should be around both of the days, but mainly for one reason, some of you who have been here for 5 years will remember the Captain Baxter model I built from Scratch on an LnY pug chassis. After people were requesting me to build another for them, I cracked under pressure for the past year, but mainly in the last few months I have managed to produce A 3D print of Captain Baxter for people who are interested and quite an easy model.

Model is split in to 2 parts, Body and parts this is mainly for print quality reasons.

You can find the modes on Shapeways:
body: http://shpws.me/IqLZ
Parts: http://shpws.me/HoB7

I have also re-released the original Baxter build in PDF: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_s5cq6YuUSwcFR2V0FRLVVSNFU/view

19087852465_50e2c7da9b_c.jpg

• Like 10

I was at the event today. I thought that I had had a look round all the exhibits but I didn't see you. Would have introduced myself!

Excellent work with the 3D Baxter

Yes I was all over the place on Sunday, I wasn't exhibiting I was just there as a visitor, and then got descended on whilst talking to a couple of modellers who I had arranged to meet to talk about the model by which time we had quite a few people round us. But I was there all day on Sunday was a good show again slightly more organised but still missed some layouts, i certainly didn't count 100.

• 6 months later...

Hi all

Over the last few months the Captain Baxter 3D prints have been selling rather well, quite a few to Bluebell members, one of which maybe on display in June at the model rail event on the Bluebell. Also doing quite well have been the LBSC perishable goods van.

23890844689_a12da8bfaf_c.jpg
15139069009_45edba55ae_c.jpg

I have had several incomplete 3D models which required a lot of time to finish and get right in order for them to printed.
One that had been sitting round the longest was a body shell for the LDCR brake 3rd, or second depending which period your modelling.
It has been designed to fit a rtr chassis. I have done a quick test print through a print hub so it's still a little rough.

23616967720_122f89459d_c.jpg
24174067831_463c4b275b_c.jpg

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/Bluebellmodelrailwayshop

• Like 6

• 1 year later...

Haven't updated this topic in quite a while, I have now completed all the 4 wheeler coaches that I had planned out, and they are all painted and finished off.
I have a few other small and big projects on the go..

Now complete all 3 coaches:

Brake 3rd, LCDR
33469234032_7647590d17_c.jpg

All 3rd, LCDR / SECR
32811924703_337dddfa06_c.jpg

Saloon / Brake 2nd, LCDR / SECR
32811913833_a85748b549_c.jpg

https://youtu.be/G9gsf11A6jM

• Like 7

Thank you Knuckles, yes long time ago now although I don't post too much these days been doing plenty of modelling, sadly most of the bigger models I have on the go have slowed down because of cash, you would of thought after 213 job applications would of found something oh well, just keep modelling.

213 ;P

Blimey, I thought I had a hard time sometimes getting work.

Well, when I was out if work for a year I used the time to set up SCC so it worked out well there.

Could really do with a year off full time work as with a 10 hour night shift it is hard to find quality time and energy to do modelling, whether SCC based or for my own layouts. Little bit here n there is mostly how it goes yet I'd like to smash it out and get some more projects done.

Keep up the good work though, whilst you are out of mainstream work you have time to do these things more full on.

• 8 months later...

After some reasonable sales on various 3D prints recently, which has helped fund, the next rather big project, having sold off my old kit bashed version, the LNWR observation car.

So 2 years ago I started building another large coach, having sold my scratch-built version recently I have recently finished an accurate 3D print of the LNWR observation car, of course Bluebell stock but it may interest LNWR modellers. However not a cheap model due to it's size.

I have just ordered the model via my preferred 3D hub and should arrive shortly, the chassis will be from Shapeways, with possibly some additional seats.

The it consists of:
- Body split in 3 sections (2x ends, 1x middle)
- Flip seating in 3 sections (not working)
- 1 piece chassis
- Roof vents
- Buffers

This is the 3D model at present...

28101805699_f6e68ddc06_c.jpg
26008885098_60fc7168c8_c.jpg

I have received a test print currently tiding up.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

I have had a delivery of various prints, from various people, some via 3D Hubs, printed in resin on a Forum Labs SLA printer, and some from Shapeways.
I have also re-released the Metropolitan set, the materials have changed, and the Chassis has now been changed, 2 chassis models, are available with separate buffers for different coaches.

Here are some images of the LNWR observation car... still requires some cleaning up.40271508031_e2885ea404_b.jpg
(Roof vents, plus a few spares if required)

38461595410_0d9d50ac4e_b.jpg
(Chassis detail / Buffers 2x spares just in case)40227078812_f5ec5df9b0_b.jpg
(Chassis, dyed in black WSF material)38461581400_dde3e9f3c6_b.jpg
(Complete print... minus bogies which have been ordered from 247 Developments)

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

After the good prints, sadly I had a small accident with the body shell, well my hands did, and dropped it on a hard floor which made an interesting 3D jigsaw puzzle... with tragedy comes improvements, there were some areas that could be improved, so despite being extremely annoyed by my accident, I went and changed some areas, the body attachment points to the chassis, changed to hold an M2 nut, the ends of the coach were changed and made stronger and to support the roof, which was done along the body.

I decided to print these by Shapeways, and for once... for me anyway they arrived and were a very good print, and fitted together perfectly.

While awaiting the body, I was busy adding all the brass bits to the chassis, Truss rods, steps ect... and also made 247 developments bogies for the chassis which were a bit low, so some changes to the boss were needed. Overall getting there.
26625663818_0ef3937ed5_c.jpg26826932908_0b135b2e70_c.jpg38915771550_f99454cf2f_c.jpg

39830967985_83464726b1_c.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hello been a while,

So I completed the above a while ago, I now have 2 printers of my own, after Shapeways problems, and squeezing and margins I had... so change of direction, and I can control my own QC.

31511609237_d77cbc9caf_b.jpg

With my own printers I can get experimental and try some new things, and also replace some older models which have bowed over time...
I have re-printed the GN Directors saloon.... split in to 3 like the above carriage but using the original chassis.

48498812726_125d8fcc4e_b.jpg
48498805902_19d53a68cc_b.jpg

Other projects on the go, with a big thanks to the gents at the Isle of Wight steam railway, I have been attempting to rebuild the Oldbury stock, with the lovely stained glass windows, having tackled orientation and which way up was the best to print them, I have all printed, although not quite had the time to finish them off... so sitting in primer awaiting some spare time...

48498886836_92ee7473e9_b.jpg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1