Mystery Photo - location?

gateman49

Who can suggest a location for this photo of an ancient lorry tipping ball clay (not china clay) into an end door tippler wagon.  The wagons either side of it are already sheeted and the nearer one has an NE sheet over its load.  

post-14869-0-73271400-1359663143.jpeg

it's not Teignbridge by the way.  My guess is the siding just north of the main Newton Abbot to Kingsteignton road near the race course (the other side of the bridge from the old goods yard).

There is a tree between siding and main branch line and they don't seem to be parallel.  The hills in the background seem to indicate that the view is in the Moretonhampstead direction.

The photo is part of the archive of the Ball Clay Heritage Society (have a look at their web site if you are interested).   It is stamped on the back by a photographer from Torquay so I don't think it is from anywhere other than the Moreton branch.  Correct me if I'm wrong! 

Thanks

Just in case it's helpful, have you noticed the tall, road over-bridge that's just above the end of the tipper... and what could be a small lineside 'hut' to its left? I began to wonder whether the hills to the left could even be those along the north side of the Teign estuary and those on the right in and around Newton.... but don't let that throw you! Knowing where the bridge is/was might clinch it.

Good luck!

Thanks for your thoughts so far, lignite certainly was dug out for a while but it just didn't burn well enough apparently.    There's still plenty of it around in different strata.

The "road overbridge" is, I think the old bridge over the bottom end of the Stover canal  - now replaced by a culvert cutting the canal in two.

Corporal Jones would have been proud of that lorry cab - what on earth is it?  I presume that the tipper prop would be hand cranked and that the driver is rocking it back and fore to loosen the load.

Update: I've just found a reference (if I'd only bothered to look) in the booklet The Ball Clays of Devon and Dorset by the above mentioned society.  Apparently it is indeed East Golds (as I guessed but didn't know the name) in the 1930's.

Apologies for time wasting but at least others have seen the photo.  

Archived