Wirral Finescale Railway Modellers

Widnes Vine Yard

beast66606

Dave was doing some tweaking to the control system at the time.

I was stood right next to him chatting about life the universe and his owl photos.

The above post was said in jest :jester:

A few years ago I was actually invited to drive a train past a signal at danger on this layout, in order to induce a SPAD, and see if the SPAD warning signal was working.  I was highly honoured..!!!

Great layout, very approachable bunch of guys too.

Bob

• 4 weeks later...

Shame about the poor driving skills and SPAD's :nono:

We even have our own penalty system for who SPADs the most on the Saturday:-) They buy the first round on Saturday night  :no: 

It is only playing trains afterall!!

Tim

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

So how many points did he get for the wrong direction SuperSpad then? ;)

Great selection of trains on show and I liked the gradual updating if scenery with the vans parked up, is this going to be a big van hire forecourt with decals on all the vans?

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul,

SPAD man escaped as we had a kitty running and it still had lots of cash in it !

The new area is now a van storage for Sealand Van Hire, in honour of the guy who gives us a great deal on the van - Darren. There is still a lot of work to do.

Not sure how many noticed it but there is a switch diamond (fully working) on one corner of the fiddle yard, this was it's first outing and gives even more flexibility - it also involved me spending quite a few hours relocking the "frame"

• RMweb Gold

Next year now - watch this space ! 

If anyone want's a go they are always welcome - as long as there aren't any problems with the layout - we generally don't ask because people run away screaming when they see the fiddle yard ( approx.75 points and more are being added)

I really enjoyed seeing the layout at York in April. It must be a lot of fun to operate.

I can second that sentiment..........................there is a great sense of realism when you have to obey signals operated by a remote signalman.

Bob

• RMweb Premium

It certainly is - you should make yourself known, then you can find out for yourself !

Sounds like a nice invitation. I'll see if I can get along to Doncaster in February.

A friend I was with I think knows one of the guys in the team. They had a chat about work stuff and then about the SPAD indicators. There is a great consistency in the scenics, and operation of the rolling stock. Indeed it was good to see the layout, because I enjoyed in article in MRM back in 2008 or 2009? (its a shame that magazine folded). 

Archived