I've been working at lunchtimes on a No2 boiler for a little while with the hope of a print that I can clean up and cast to allow the construction of various locomotives including a Bulldog and an Aberdare by adding the flat metal from, er, flat metal. Working from the drawings of 3449 Nightingale in GWRJ.

The belpaire firebox must be one of the hardest shapes to get looking right and I wasn't sure that I had captured this aspect too well so I started to add in some reference points such as the footplate, saddle, cab and windows to see if it looked right. So here it is for 'peer review' 

post-8031-0-92622200-1359724138_thumb.jpg

It's unclear to me whether I should have made the boiler a couple of inches larger than the drawing to include the lagging or whether that would have already been included? Looking at the windows I suspect that to be just right it requires to be slightly taller and a little less wide? Note that the side window apertures do not include the frame but the portholes do.

Rich,

If you are working from the Swindon erecting drawings (GAs), the figured dimensions normally are to the outside of the boiler/firebox plates and exclude the lagging. IMHO, the firebox  as drawn appears to be too wide, particularly at low level. The grate part of the firebox has to fit between the loco frames and is unlikely to be much over 4ft wide (plus lagging).

Hope that this helps.

John

If you are working from the Swindon erecting drawings (GAs), the figured dimensions normally are to the outside of the boiler/firebox plates and exclude the lagging.

The drawings are the frame plans but include plenty of the superstructure detail with dimensions in most of the views.

IMHO, the firebox  as drawn appears to be too wide, particularly at low level. The grate part of the firebox has to fit between the loco frames and is unlikely to be much over 4ft wide (plus lagging).

The firebox was 8mm wide at the base to fit between the frames but I added a little bit (0.2-0.3mm all around) on the profile above the frames for the lagging and because the boiler was just wider than the firebox at scale size at the wide end where the two meet. Perhaps the firebox has more lagging on the top than the sides?

Hope that this helps.

Yes, very much. Thank you. It somewhat confirms what I was thinking.

Well you have done a better job of it than my attempt! Top work Rich

Are you planning on printing everything in that model?

Missy :)

Thank you. :)

Most of it is just surfaces at present. The only bit I'm thinking of printing is the boiler and firebox. My models have a habit of jumping out of my hands onto the carpet and a large proportion of soldered metal joints seem to have a good survival rate. One of my models met the patio during painting and just needed the buffer and lower footboards bending straight! That wouldn't have been the same if it were superglued.

Archived