Pilham Lane TMD

nev777

Ok, i've been thinking about it for long enough now. I'm planning a loft set-up, but due to financial constraints have just been sat for over a year thinking how it might go and being unable to do much about it.....so rather than just wait til i can afford it, i'm going to start a small plank TMD to practice the various aspects of modelling.

So Pilham Lane is born. A small mid 80's TMD with a couple of storage sidings. I know, it's all been done before, and doubtless much better and much faster, but we all start somewhere, and at least i'll be starting at long last. :D

Construstion will be a pink high density foamboard, clad in 5mm ply top and sides. All pieces cut and ready, glueing tomorrow......

Pre-owned Code 100 Peco points (short ones to keep costs down and make more room) and flexitrack is ready to go on top of the cork.

I've been practicing weathering a little, and done a few beginners items in card, which may or may not make an appearance.

Track plan below, feel free to suggest alterations?

All systems go....watch this space.....

post-13575-0-09637000-1359748557_thumb.jpg

Baseboard made (boy, i'm no carpenter...) Took longer than i thought for the "glue" to set, but it's darned cold in that garage!

Today, plans are afoot to lay the cork bed and i really could do with a centre to centre measurement of the tracks on a scalescenics diesel depot, if anyone has one?

Then i can get the holes made for the inspection pits and begin to (nervously) lay track

Unexpected noob oversight #1 of many. Completely forgot that i'd need to remotely operate points. So i don't really want to lay track just to lift it all again. Tomorrow's project is to buy suitable tubes and rods and cut slots in top of baseboard.

In the meantime, weathering practice has commenced with the inevitable grounded van body. Roof is still a bit shiny, which is surprising given i only used matt paints and weathering powders.

post-13575-0-50915600-1360009047_thumb.jpg

Tonight's mission is to begin scratch building some low relief backs of the semi detached houses that will form the backscene.

Looking forward to seeing this develop.

There is nothing wrong with TMD's, there are plenty on here and I'm sure that most are willing to share their knowledge and maybe learn from how you do things.

At least with the points, you've realised before committing, I wish I had.

Duncan

Well, it's taking a little longer than expected. I've had to slightly revise the spacings for the shed, and have decided to build a Scalescenes R023 Diesel Depot first, so i can be sure everything lines up.

As a complete novice, it's taking a little time, but i'm moderately happy with the steady progress.

Note to anyone doing same build. When building the "corrugated" outer sides, whatever you do, DON'T use prittstick. Having spent quite a time cutting all the fiddly little strips,, when i cut the window out, the whole lot fell to bits. I'm hoping a re-do using PVA will be more successful.

In the meantime, i'm wondering how to model this recent development in modern trackwork? :D

http://www.tpexpress.co.uk/media/258646/pictures.pdf

• 1 month later...

Due to a recent unexpected influx of work, the bank account has recieved some much needed input and the modelling has received very little. Still, it's a welcome change and it's allowed me to add a few wagons to the fold in preparation for my loft layout.

Work has continued, albeit slowly, on the scalescenes shed. A few fiddly bits to do, and then i can start on the pit. Then, i can slightly alter the trackplan to suit.

In the meantime, a couple of my old lima deltics have paid a visit to the almost completed shed, to check out all the fuss. A little dusty from 30 years of storage, Fife and Forfar Yeomanry and Meld enjoyed their outing, but found they were too long to fit all the way inside. No matter, they won't be a common visitor when the TMD opens officially :D

post-13575-0-20212600-1363558527_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Progress, although slow, was continuing with track laid and a steady accumulation of rolling stock and locos....although it was always hoped i could move to a larger layout in the loft when planning permission was obtained from SWMBO. That's been granted, so i was in two minds whether to continue with this small practice layout or to break it down and use it upstairs....

Then this week, disaster struck.....taking a punt on a well known auction site, i purchased "LOTS OF RAILWAY TRACK, JUNCTIONS ETC. DON'T KNOW WHETHER THIS IS ANY GOOD TO ANYONE, LEFT IN A HOUSE I BOUGHT? for the princely sum of 99p, thinking it would at least come in handy for the fiddle yard even if it was a few bits of Hornby set track,

Unfortunately, it turned out to be about 30 yards of flexi, 12 short points, 18 medium points, 11 long points, 3 crossovers, all in Peco N guage.....as well as a dual controller....

Loath to waste such a bonanza, it looks like my 18" x 48" plank will have a bit more room as i branch into N guage....now all i need is some stock, as it looks like the 6 locos that came with the lot are in a state of disrepair....so, let replanning commence....

Archived