Hattons and eHattons etc

llamafish

Have Hattons run out of proper boxes over christmas?

Twice I have purchased something from them, and they've sent the items in a second hand box

The first was a Bachmann DMU, this arrived in a wine box that was held together by parcel tape, and the second was a pack of Hornby wheels packaged in half of a milkshake box, again held together by parcel tape.

Is this the norm for Hattons, or have they run out of proper boxes?

I've moved this post from MM&M to somewhere more appropriate but I did wonder about even approving it.

I would hazard an educated guess that they've had a lot to send out and had to temporarily use whatever has been to hand. Maybe we should be applauding them for their sustainability policy of raiding whatever's left behind the supermarket?

A bit of a non-issue methinks.

Guest Max Stafford

They've always done this,making use of whatever's to hand. It's called 'resourcefulness' and I understand the concept is being phased out in the UK...

Dave.

On the wall in the shop is a list of local supermarkets who supply them with old cardboard packaging.

I would expect in the first instance they will use the not inconsequential Hornby/Bachmann/Dapol etc packaging that comes with every delivery and then they will use the supermarkets.

As Andy says, it's good for the environment to recycle packaging and helps to keep costs down.

Second-hand cardboard - NO!!! I can't bring myself to look at models delivered in such lowly circumstances.

Personally I no longer use eHattons since they stopped using Class 45-hauled parcels trains to deliver their wares, I think it was last autumn.

Rails fly their stuff in by swan in nectar-lined tweed hampers, I recommend them.

It seems it's the norm Dan, and one has to applaud them for it. It saves on cost, it saves on waste - it helps save the planet.

I never noticed it, so thanks for pointing it out, it's another gold star for Hattons in my book.

Happy new year all.

Rather ironically, I have just this morning unpacked a delivery from Hattons; a replacement for a decidedly lifeless 150/1 which arrived, thoroughly packed as usual in definately 2nd hand Hornby box. As you say above, simple resourcefulness!

As an aside, excellent service from Hattons as usual - I know some people may think otherwise, but I have only ever received good service myself. On this occasion, I ordered the 150/1 split form the dynamis set which turned out to be a non-runner. Despite me not descovering this until over a month after delivery & after I had started work to "personalise" the model, it was replaced without a single question... excellent service & thanks to all.

HYN to all on RM Web

I see, thanks guys, it's just my family thought that it was very 'tacky' and 'un-professional'

So let's say they might have run out of new boxes in the hugely busy Christmas period and delayed your parcel (and maybe upped the P&P rate as well for using a new box) that would have been acceptable to you would it? Hattons aren't Amazon.

Hi everybody,? 

I ? don't ? care what boxes Hattons or Rails use for that matter then the main thing is that what I have ordered arrives safely here in Berlin.

A very Happy New year everybody and happy modeling.

Dominic

So let's say they might have run out of new boxes in the hugely busy Christmas period and delayed your parcel (and maybe upped the P&P rate as well for using a new box) that would have been acceptable to you would it? Hattons aren't Amazon.

I have differing opinions to that of my family, I'm just happy to have the models I want at a great price.

So long as it protects the product inside, does it really matter?

I'd argue no, but Hattons is really pushing the envelope regarding minimal packing materials. I can quite see why the OPs family might have made comments about the packaging, especially considering the price of the items inside.

It's great that they are saving the environment by using recycled boxes, but some of their shipments are packaged quite poorly. Popcorn or shredded newsprint isn't a consideration, and they basically depend on the manufacturer's box to protect the item inside, the shipping box being no larger than what is inside. Often the top of whatever box they use have the flaps "tented" to make maximum use of the internal space. It does make items stacked outside the box even more susceptible to damage.

The paper and string on the outside is quaint, but has little value in shock mitigation.

There are other model shops that don't charge full RRP, have discounts at or even below Hattons, and do recognize that a sturdy box with a bit of padding between your new prize and the postal service is a good thing, especially when the item is being shipped internationally. I'm still a Hattons customer, just not exclusively, especially for shock sensitive items like locomotives...

• RMweb Premium

I quite like the fact that Hattons still send out brown paper parcels tied up with string.........

I agree, it makes it nice and easy to spot when the Postman trundles down the path, so I can beat the wife to the door to collect it! laugh.gif

If you want stuff to come in a nice box with a logo on it, you can always buy it from Amazon at full RRP.

I cannot let ths pass without comment. I placed an order for a cordless drill on the afternoon of 22nd December. I was in no hurry and there was no reason to pay ??8+ for next-day delivery in time for Xmas and I took up their offer of free postage.

It arrived next day at 1pm....Free postage.

Amazon has my vote!

• RMweb Gold

I cannot let ths pass without comment. I placed an order for a cordless drill on the afternoon of 22nd December. I was in no hurry and there was no reason to pay ??8+ for next-day delivery in time for Xmas and I took up their offer of free postage.

It arrived next day at 1pm....Free postage.

Amazon has my vote!

Thats a fantastic service.They must have assumed it was for xmas and pulled out all the stops.First class.

• RMweb Gold

I quite like the fact that Hattons still send out brown paper parcels tied up with string. If you want stuff to come in a nice box with a logo on it, you can always buy it from Amazon at full RRP.

You must use a different branch of Amazon. I find very few reputable dealers in books or electrical goods to undercut Amazon prices in the UK. They even now send laptops etc to France, more cheaply than you can buy them in the supermarkets here. I got a ??35 book at nearly 30% off list. Hard to fault.

I am also entirely happy with Hattons and their packaging policy, which has "worked for me".

Thats a fantastic service.They must have assumed it was for xmas and pulled out all the stops.First class.

It is good service, but I suspect it may be more to do with the Christmas volume and all the various grades of delivery going out the window (hopefully not literally wink.gif )

Hi,

I've placed my first order through Hattons on 23rd Dec, used next day but bless the postman as he decided to deliver it 2 doors away (clearly addressed by sender) so I never received in time for Xmas :huh: , obviously sent out in time, but hey. Good service by a busy retailer along with e-mail confirming item had been sent & tracking number

I must admit, every product i have ordered from Hattons (bar one which was wrapped in a cerial box) has been packaged in brown paper and string, keeps it protected enough.

One of my recent Locomotive purchases was wrapped a few times over with brown paper, with about 2 layers of bubble wrap covered in brown tape.

took me the best part of ten minutes to get into it rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif

I've had several orders over the last 5 years in recycled/secondhand boxes.

A couple of things to remember.

1) Compared to some places their p&p charges are reasonable. Packaging costs money so if you want new be ready to pay for it.

2) Many business have to pay to dispose of their waste, - more waste means more cost. So re using old Hornby/etc boxes helps keep their costs and prices down. Obtaining boxes from local supermarkets means that they are paying less waste disposal costs

3) it all means less landfill or shipping overseas to dispose of because very little is recycled into new cardboard or toilet rolls

• RMweb Gold

Compared to some places their p&p charges are reasonable.

Dead right! I have had parcels from Hattons where I paid ??4 for a couple of Hornby Maunsells - not bad to France! At the other end of the scale, I found an ebay seller who wanted ??6.99 for 1 Maunsell, or ??16.99 for two! Make sense of that one, eh?

Archived