Hattons and eHattons etc

llamafish

By way of comparison, Hattons have sent me better-packed items that the NRM's effort with my City of Truro!

Her Bachmann box was loosely wrapped in a not particularly large sheet of bubble wrap (which was not even taped up to keep it round the Bachmann box), and that was loose in a (admittedly new) larger box, of which the tape at one end was coming undone, so it would have been very easy for a hand to slip in and remove the contents. Not impressed, but luckily it arrived undamaged.

Hattons 1, NRM 0.

Regarding eHattons, how efficient is their online service normally?

I attempted to register an account on their site yesterday, specifically because I wanted to pre-order something but face the risk of having to move house before it arrives (thus not wanting to use my friendly local model shop where I might have to cancel an order or travel considerably to pick it up whereas ordering online would allow me to change my delivery address). Everything went OK up until the "You will receive a verification email". Never got the email, checked all the spam traps etc just in case, then went back to the site and requested another verification code. Again didn't show up. I decided to cut my losses, order anyway and have it delivered to my Mum's house. Again everything went fine until "You will receive a confirmation email". Thus far, no email has shown up.

I'm hoping this is because the system uses some manual component and it's down to some poor sod not reaching my name on an order verification list yet. If I don't hear anything by Monday, I think I'll be sending them an email to make sure everything is ok .

I pre-ordered a Dapol HST and a 24 (without preregistering) and I got a confirmation email straight away, the 24 arrived at release and I am twiddling my thumbs on the HST for the time being. I also got an email to announce the 24 was going for packing/delivery.

Give them a call.

I also tried to set up an account on Wednesday but received no validation email. I ordered anyway and received confirmation emails, so their email system was working. I requested them to resend a validation code, and get " Your validation code has been sent to your email address, please check your inbox." but nothing arrived.

Just tried it again while writing this and the validation code arrived straight away. :) Try again.

• RMweb Gold

Having been a Hattons customer for some time I've generally been quite happy with their service. Regarding e-mail confirmation of orders, this is usually automatic. If in doubt, give them a call - I've always found them friendly and helpful. Yes, the packing does sometimes look a bit Heath Robinson, but it normally works. Having said that, I have had some model packaging damaged by rough handling, but noting DOA as yet.

I??™ve been using Hattons for quite some time now. For me it??™s great to have the VAT taken off, without having to ask for it and the delays that causes. In 95% of cases I receive my lovely brown paper and string wrapped parcels down under within 7-10 days.

I did have 1 bad experience back in 2008 when I received 2 boxes which had been crushed, obviously something heavy had fallen on them during transit to cause so much damage.

post-6928-12629555353929_thumb.jpg

I was almost in tears as I tried to unpack 16 brand new Farish Stanier coaches, 4 Mk 1??™s and 6 brake vans. All up 12 coaches (they looked like the had been at Harrow) and 4 of the brake vans were a write-off.

post-6928-12629555543101_thumb.jpg

Ikea moves into making flatpack rolling stock

post-6928-12629555711453_thumb.jpg

post-6928-12629555959305_thumb.jpg

post-6928-12629556716575_thumb.jpg

I contacted Hattons that same day and emailed them the photos of the damage. Within 24H they had contacted me and organised for return postage of the damaged goods and new replacements were also dispatched. The whole experience was very disheartening, but the box shifters rectified the problem and I was not left out of pocket. Maybe additional packaging and padding may have reduced the amount of damage, but considering how crushed the actual packaging the rolling stock comes in, I don??™t think it would of helped.

It hasn??™t happened since, thankfully, and I still look forward to receiving my brown paper and string wrapped parcels from Liverpool.

I phoned up, and was able to confirm that my order had been received. Apparently, if you are just placing a pre-order, then you don't get an email straight away (despite what the site says). Slightly strange, butthere you go.

Just tried it again while writing this and the validation code arrived straight away. :) Try again.

I just tried it as well, with the code arriving immediately. Presumably some kind of gremlin has been removed from the workings of the sign-up system.

Guest Digital

I have allways found Hattons very good to deal with.

My last order for some 7mm road vehicles was deliverd very quickly and well packed.

A couple of the vehicles had mirrors missing and after a quick phone call were replaced the next day.

I also find their notify by email when an item is in stock very useful icon_thumbsup2.gif

John

I've only placed one order with them, e-mail received straight away, then another confirming the items had been dispatched

Unfortunately one of the items had to be sent back (non-working Hornby A4 sound). No problems, brilliant service, received a call & e-mail yesterday to say the loco had turned up & my card had been refunded - you can't get better than that for service, will happily use again & recommend :D

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add a further vote of confidence for Hattons and their packaging.

I have bought from them several times in the last year. And all goods have arrived safe and sound at the southern tip of New Zealand. Even a package that included several lengths of flexi track.

While I don't use them exclusively I am more than happy with the service I have had from them so far.

Cheers

Stuart

• 3 weeks later...

My orders have always come in recycled boxes. Why not if they do their job? It was the box from six bottles of a particularly good red wine that I thoroughly approved of. Whoever packed it would be lethal at Tetris - absolutely perfect. I guess they get a lot of practice.

Well last Thursday morning I placed an order for the track for my latest project. 100 yards of peco code 75, and 22 points that included a single slip, 12 packs of joiners all for 460 quid. Of the three suppliers I e-mailed for a quote, Wednesday before last, Hattons replied the same day, one other replied a week later, the other I heard nothing. It all arrived this afternoon, I'm happy - now the work begins.

Just to heartily endorse the sentiment regarding Hattons. The packaging may be second hand ( it works - what more could anyone want?) and the service has always been first rate. No matter what problems have surfaced over the years they have always solved them.

• RMweb Gold

Want to add my thanks for the good service Hattons provide.

I had a Hornby Scot from them in August last year. Due to no layout at the time it remained in its box unopened. Layout plannning now underway and I decided to unpack the loco at the start of this month. To my dismay it had broken buffers and part of hte brake gear was detached. Given the length of time that had elapsed since purchase I didn't think that there was much hope of replacement but I contacted Hattons via their website. I recieved a very prompt reply saying 'send it back to us and we will replace'.

Very very impressed with this response. Loco posted to them last Monday and replacement recieved today. Will definately use them again.

Archived