Sketchup issue

Hi folks

I've been designing a 1/48 US glass gravity feed gas pump for On30. I've built most of it sketchup (8 free) I've built it at 1:1 scale and checked in solid tools plugin and netfabb and it passed as watertight. However after scaling down in sketchup it throws up several errors. I've been working to tight tolerances but well inside the quoted shape ways FUD minimums. I uploaded the scaled version to shapeways and it passed the upload tests and looks OK in their render, need to finish the top bulb before a print.

Just wondered if others had experienced this at all? Is it a real error or below the programs limits?

Regards

• RMweb Premium

I've encountered issues with scaling in Sketchup before. This is why I now don't do the scaling in Sketchup, but do it in netfabb after I've checked the model.

In Sketchup I make the 3D model at 1000x the size the actual model will be (ie m instead of mm), Sketchup has problems with very small models.

Richard 

I plan to use Shapeways, but would be happier in myself if I could do it in a program on my machine. As it happens I have tried out Nile's resizing in netfab and after working out that even though the info bar says mm it will still show the actual figures if you import in inches. Tested the model for errors and its clean. Right back to finish the model!

Gotta love this forum.

Regards

Sketchup has a hidden minimum curve radius.  They don't tell you what it is, and it seems to be an absolute value independent on the units your using. If you try to draw a circle too small it'll give you an error.  Unhelpfully, when you scale, it doesn't give you an error - it just deletes and moves bits until it thinks that it's ok and in the process can muck up your model.  Very frustrating!

What I tend to do is draw at 1m = 1mm (so everything is big), then scale by 1/1000 when I prepare the model for printing in Netfabb or meshlab, as others have suggested.

Archived