Star Lane, Hooley - next show is Macclesfield in April 2024.

roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

A bit more progress has been made on the SER box in the last few days with the roof slates bring the latest addition.

The window opening framing will be next aswell as the brick panel on the lower left of the box. Not sure why there is the brick panel but it's there in the photo we have of the box.

Mike will be having another three day work session on the layout this weekend. However I will be otherwise engaged helping to keep real ale sales buoyant!

post-1557-0-57509300-1377152775_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Mike has bern working hard on tbe layout this weekend with some help aswell.

Electrical faults now found and rectified.

The bridge to hide the other end of the fiddleyard is now in place. This is the last board to have the scenic formation added.

Also the end plates to allow the boards to be boxed up are done

A o

Couple of photos to show some of the progress.

post-1557-0-60678500-1377550289_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-74225000-1377550354_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Most of he work on the layout is Mike's but having a few weekends where three or four of us have helped has reallly pushed the layout on.
The layout is 12 feet in diameter with twelve boards so it's quite a challenge as it's Mike's first exhibtion layout.

Now that the boards can be boxed up for transport Mike can now decide how much stock that he can fit into the car. I have two stock boxes of suitable stock so it would be nice to be able to fit them in along with Mike's stock for its first show in Barrow In Furness as some of us will be travelling there by train.
Phat Bob will also be bringing quite a lot of stock as he will be driving from Cheshire.

Just over a month to go for the show.

There's a final set up rehearsal planned for late September to do a final shake down and any scenic detailing. We might get the static grass on aswell.

Ian

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A visit to Gaugemaster today to pick up one of these circuits to fit somewhere on Star Lane will hopefully add a little bit of park to te layout.

Hopefully Mike is busy working on the layout in his garage whilst I enjoy a few beers!

A little bit more work done on the SER box this morning and more weathering on D5000, the ex Modelzone, now Invicta exclusive lass 24 which hold make n appearance either on a freight or behind a class 33 and. Rake of Bullied coaches..

post-1557-0-50452300-1377951889_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Its exactly 4 weeks to go before the layout will be on its way to its first show in Barrow In Furness.

Whilst I have done very little to the SER box in the last week, Mike along with some help has continued to work on the layout. All boards now have the scenery formation on them and the third rail installation  is well on the way to completion.

After this weekend I hope to be working on the box again so it should be complete in time. The LBSCR box may well have to wait for another day.

We will have another final set up session in just over a weeks time to do a full rehearsal set up and packing away plus a full test with stock running on both lines.

Also any scenery touching up can take place.

More photos to come in just over a weeks time.

Ian

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Just over 3 weeks to go before '* Lane' heads North.

On Sunday we will be setting up the layout for one final time before hand.

The signal box is advancing with the steps now under construction and the first coat of paint on the walls.

There are four of us working on our own stock  so we should have more than enough EMU's to fill the fiddleyard and more.!!

There will be far more Brighton Belles  with us than there ever were.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

We had our last working session prior to the layouts first show in three weeks.

As Mike had installed all the third rail I had the task of painting all 120 feet of it. The inside face of the rail still needs painting but that's for another day.

The static grass also went on all but four boards and has made a huge difference. Mike will do the remaining boards in the next few weeks.

He also has quite a bit of fine fettling of the scenery but it's nearly there.

Here is a video of a couple of trains.

More photos to follow.

Ian

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Some stills from yesterdays operating session.

The South Easter box is well advanced but still needs glazing handrails and walkways adding. An interior will be fitted at some point.

post-1557-0-55270500-1379922690_thumb.jpg

The 2EPB has had its kent Coast markings carefully removed but the red stripe above the compartments still needs painting blue. The pick up shoes

post-1557-0-38942300-1379922828_thumb.jpgon all our 2 EPB's caught the third rail and derailed but a little bit of filing on the bottom o the shoe and they were fine. All the other Bachamnn CEP's and MLV's ran fine with no modifications.

The 2EPB again, but this time on the fly over next to the substation. There is still some detailing to do in this area but its getting there.

post-1557-0-81449500-1379922865_thumb.jpg

The fly over by its self. The tunnel should be beyond two bridges but we have had to do quite a bit of compressing in this area. However it does give a good representation of the area. I did notice this morning that we do need to make up quite a few concrete ballast bins to go in the cutting areas.

post-1557-0-40239700-1379922979_thumb.jpg

Mikes 2HAP heads a number of EMU's. This is modified from a Bachmann 2EPB.

post-1557-0-09889200-1379923208_thumb.jpg

And finally for now a Brighton Belle coming under neath the bridge from the fiddleyard. This also shows the static grass which had only been laid a few hours prior. It will have some bushes etc added in due course.

post-1557-0-56418000-1379923148_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Very nice Ian, the fly over does look really good, especially with the EPB passing over it.

Thanks

The fly over, tunnel mouth etc is all Mikes work.

The transformer room is the Bachmann ready to plonk one but it fits the location perfectly. Theres still plenty of cable trunking to route from the transformers to the tracks which we were discussing on SUnday.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Yes there was a siding there serving the transformer room. Presumably for offloading any new equipment. I am guessing that it was removed when the Brighton box closed in about 1974.

I think one of my photos taken from Star Lane Bridge in the first few posts shows where  it was.

You will also notice that the fly over has been rebuilt in concrete whereas Mike is modelling it prior to that.

regards

Ian

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Less than two weeks to go before the layout heads North.

Mike has been finishing off the scenics with numerous improvements ot the cable trunking. inlcuding adding some for the traction power cables out of the substation.

Hes also building soem ballast bins to go trackside.

I am continuing working on the SER signal box. The steps handrails are done but I sitll need to finish off the landing handrails. Glazing will be next once a final coat of green has been applied to the window opening surrounds.

We have decided that the LBSCR box will have to wait  till another time so Mike is likely to knock a temporary one up out of the old Airfix kit for now so the space is filled.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Its now just one week to go before the layout is loaded ready for the trip to Cumbria.

I have been looking out the windows on my journey to and from London checking on the lineside detaisl such as where the ballast bins go. They are on the East side of the line on the Redhill lines. cant tell on the Quarry line as I don't use that bit.

There are some brick arches / culverts though, which look like they were once into the cutting sides but with numerous slips in these cuttings, they are now very exposed. We have yet to add these.

I have now completed the steps and handrails up to the SER signal box and tonight the glazing commences. I had painted the handrails green but decided that cream was probably more likely. The only photos I have seen are of the box in the BR black and white colour scheme where the handrails were white. So would presume that they would have been cream prior to this.

Phatbob has now got the 3D printed sides to do the 4BEP buffet coach. He is stil lhoping ot complete this in time for the Barrow show. Fingers crossed!!

Ian

• RMweb Gold

The first pane of glass is now in place.

As these are sash windows the top piece needs to be forward of the lower pane so a lip was added to the upper part of the window surround.

The next few days will see the glazing and sash frames added.

Mike has obtained a Ratio interior kit so once he drops that off thrn the interior will be added.

A photo showing progress as of this morning

post-1557-0-38372100-1380866985_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I have been looking out the windows on my journey to and from London checking on the lineside detaisl such as where the ballast bins go. They are on the East side of the line on the Redhill lines. cant tell on the Quarry line as I don't use that bit.

Not quite sure what I'm looking out for but I don't know if this "drivers view" video helps?  The Quarry Line "proper" starts at about 7 minutes in.

• Like 4