Star Lane, Hooley - next show is Macclesfield in April 2024.

roundhouse

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

"Skew Bridge", it was locally called, Pete - and I bet you worked over it more than once!

Yes, thanks for the memory jog. And more times than I could possibly count, I reckon.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Obligatory bus on a bridge.

A Reigate bus had taken a wrong turning so there is a confrontation on the bridge with a local builder whilst the Brighton Belle passes a stray IOW 02.

Rule no1 applies.

Rule 1 all over the place as for the bus to be in that livery the Belle should be blue and white.

I don't recall any of Bell St's Atlanteans covering routes in that direction. But in the early 70s you will recall them borrowing some Southdown vehicles which ran on the Croydon routes. Much more interesting for your bridge.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

We had a good weekend in Southampton with Mikes layout.

Thanks to Gordon D, Big P (Sunday) and B Bishop (Saturday) for giving us a hand.

Usual teething problems on Saturday morning with a few tracks that had gone out of line but most cured withing the first hour or so and a few tweeks Sunday morning before opening meant that my Bulleid light pacific worked well today.

We thought that we had one more show this year with the layout but that show looks like its been cancelled, so Mike is on the look out for more shows ot attend with the layout for next year.

A few photos taken over the weekend.

post-1557-0-87047800-1488139031_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-46284800-1488139080_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-68786300-1488139096_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-61475000-1488139102_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ian,

This is superb, I've just come across Star Lane Hooley a couple of hours ago and wow this is really good, I like it a lot but I do have a question if you don't mind, have you had any difficulties with the gradients particularly with the steam locos. I've read through a couple of times now and I haven't seen what the gradient is.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian

I cant recall what the gradients mike built it to but generally its fine with the steam locos that we run.

The one issue we do get is that the Peco plastic insulated pots do come adrift at baseboard joints causing the third rail to lift and catch stock especially steam locos. Mike is slowly replacing the end of baseboard pots with soldered wire whihc is reducing the number of such incidents when we set the layout up.

Edited by roundhouse

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Star Lane is out this weekend at Trainwest show, Corsham, Wiltshsire.

Should be a fair amount of new stock to see.

I might even get a chance to give my H class on an empty stock move to Three Bridges to operate the East Grinstead branch. I know, they almost certainly ran to Tunbridge Wells West or Brighton rather than Norwood Junction but rule 1 applies.