Star Lane, Hooley - next show is Macclesfield in April 2024.

roundhouse

Star Lane is out this weekend at Trainwest show, Corsham, Wiltshsire.

Should be a fair amount of new stock to see.

I might even get a chance to give my H class on an empty stock move to Three Bridges to operate the East Grinstead branch. I know, they almost certainly ran to Tunbridge Wells West or Brighton rather than Norwood Junction but rule 1 applies.

I hope you will remember to take some photographs and post them here, I think there is a lot of interest on the layout!

Have fun

Ian

• RMweb Gold

CHooooooooooooooooOOOOOOoooooooo!

Are you doing the sound effects tomorrow!

See you nice and early.

I hope you will remember to take some photographs and post them here, I think there is a lot of interest on the layout!

Have fun

Ian

I will have my camera with me so hopefully yes.

Certainly a key part of the Southern Electric experience. But a nuisance when trying to sleep on the train.

It will always be summer holidays in West Worthing.

After coming down by train from Manchester, at first by the High Peak line and then Piccadilly-Euston, we'd end up in Victoria on a 4COR. Sitting in one of the open coaches with those luggage racks above the seats.

Victoria was a symphony of sound. The roar of a diesel Electric unit pulling out, the hiss of airbrakes and then that -

dugga, dugga, dugga note, speeding up and slowing down.

I knew I'd be at the beach after tea!!!

Chris.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

We have had plenty of sound  effects this morning but I can't put them on here. Numerous problems keeping stock on the track at the start. The layout is now running OK.

My H class is having a bit of a run but just noticed that I have left the coal load at home! It will have real coal when I get chance.

post-1557-0-58779700-1523703231_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Mike has new controllers, uprated Modellex ones as my original Modellex ones that were used on this layout have had a hard life on various layouts over many years at shows and despite not being as powerful as the new ones managed to operate multiple units on Star Lane till its last show where they kept tripping out. They will be sent for repair soon so that I can continue using them.

Mike has various new items of rolling stock for this weekend and I hope to have 34023 'Blackmore Vale' debuting (renamed Hornby 'WIlton' with numerous modifications).

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Star Lane doesnt have any more shows at present and if there are likely to be any it wont be till next year at the earliest in these Covid-19 times. Also Mike (layout owner) is having to move and downsizing so there are uncertain times for the layout but fingers crossed all will be OK.

One issue that we have had on the layout with its compact and curved fiddleyard is coupling up multipel EMU's especially with the supplied bar type. Most of my units have had Kadees fitted but the NEM sockets on the 4CEPs are very loose so tend to droop resulting in the couplings parting.

So with the release of the Hunt Couplings I, today i have been fitting them to my 4CEPs and 2 BIL.

The 4CEP is just straight swap but as my  4CEPs do not yet have decoders i am unable ot give them a proper test just yet but pushing or pulling the non powered coaches through the turnouts the Ultra Close versions of these coupling appear to be fine.

The 2 BIl does have a decoder so thats had a good run after filing down the shanks of the couplings to close the gap up. Phatbob has also been fitting these to some of his EMU's.

When we are all allowed to get together again we will have to get Mike to bring his layout round and we can give them all a good test.

20200602_150529.jpg

20200602_151552.jpg

20200602_153245.jpg

20200602_164323.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

For what it's worth, I've also fitted Hunt couplings to my 4-car EMUs that I run on Star Lane.  So like Roundhouse I'm itching to get to try them out.  They show promise as the solution to the problems we have setting-up close coupled EMUs on a curved fiddleyard. :-)
I'm lucky enough to have a stock box that alows me to keep my 2-car units perminently coupled, so I can retain the bar type coupling on those and haven't had to fit the Hunt couplings to them. 

Roundhouse seems to have forgotten that Star Lane has invitations to Macclesfield and Warley in 2021!  ;-)

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Phatbob said:

For what it's worth, I've also fitted Hunt couplings to my 4-car EMUs that I run on Star Lane.  So like Roundhouse I'm itching to get to try them out.  They show promise as the solution to the problems we have setting-up close coupled EMUs on a curved fiddleyard. :-)
I'm lucky enough to have a stock box that alows me to keep my 2-car units perminently coupled, so I can retain the bar type coupling on those and haven't had to fit the Hunt couplings to them. 

Roundhouse seems to have forgotten that Star Lane has invitations to Macclesfield and Warley in 2021!  ;-)

Ah yes forgot about Warley but don't have Macclesfield on the list so will speak with Mike.

Are the Hunt Couplings electrically conductive? I think that if they are not conductive then the interior lights and head codes on the trailer coach will not be usable!

An alternative may be to use the couplings from the class 101 as discussed here;

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ian_H said:

Are the Hunt Couplings electrically conductive? I think that if they are not conductive then the interior lights and head codes on the trailer coach will not be usable!

An alternative may be to use the couplings from the class 101 as discussed here;

Ian

They aren't but not that concerned with the internal lighting. The biggest issue we have is actually coupling units using the bars. the magnets will make it much easier especially if trying to put a unit back on the track in the fiddleyard during a show as they tend to topple over on the curves when trying to push the bars back in.

I have kept the conducting coupling bar on my 2H units as they are not so bad to couple

Edited by roundhouse
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Just to add to that.  We gave up on bar couplings on the 4CEP a long time ago.  The rather lack-lustre internal lighting not working paled into insignificance compared with the shear impracticality of the conductive bar couplings.  No marks for that design choice for a 4-car unit Bachmann.  The Kernow / Bachmann 4TC sets on the other hand have a well designed conductive coupling and are supplied with a tool for coupling and uncoupling them.  Full marks to whichever of Kernow or Bachmann came up with that one.  I do hope that Bachmann will do more SR EMUs in future and will use the "Kernow" internal coupling design for four car units.  With two arms and two hands you can handle a 2-car unit with an intermediate bar coupling.  Trying to handle an assembled 4-car unit is like trying to nail jelly to a plaster ceiling!

:rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1