Southern Coaches from old Triang Clerestory's

• 4 years later...

attachicon.gifDSCF3468a.jpg

Do you mean something like this.  The furthest coach is a Triang brake with a Roxey Mouldings roof.  The middle is the compartment section of a brake joined to part of the first class coach, I must see where the missing 1 went.The nearest is a brake with an extended guard section taken from the bit left over from the composite conversion.  Rooves are Roxey Mouldings, bogies are MK1 with the tie bar removed. Not sure where the ventilators came from. They don't look bad behind a T9 although the original short brake really needs extending to match the other.

Roger

Stunning job, I was told that it was impossible to get a good conversion out of " Triang Clerestory Coaches" well unless I really do need new reading glasses? It looks good from here. I bought some off eBay , and when I read the criticsm I began looking for new uses for Clerestory coaches, but you have done a very good job. Kev

attachicon.gifDSCF3468a.jpg

Do you mean something like this.  The furthest coach is a Triang brake with a Roxey Mouldings roof.  The middle is the compartment section of a brake joined to part of the first class coach, I must see where the missing 1 went.The nearest is a brake with an extended guard section taken from the bit left over from the composite conversion.  Rooves are Roxey Mouldings, bogies are MK1 with the tie bar removed. Not sure where the ventilators came from. They don't look bad behind a T9 although the original short brake really needs extending to match the other.

Roger

Stunning job, I was told that it was impossible to get a good conversion out of " Triang Clerestory Coaches" well unless I really do need new reading glasses? It looks good from here. I bought some off eBay , and when I read the criticsm I began looking for new uses for Clerestory coaches, but you have done a very good job. Kev

• 7 months later...

Hi there. I do realise that this is an old thread. And different Modellers have different opinions. But this Modeller has questions about

Triang bogies ,is there anything that can be done with them? do they have to be replaced, and what bogies would you suggest?

Best wishes. Kevin

Probably the best thing to do with Tri-ang bogies is bin them (or see if anybody at your local swapmeet wants them) as they give a buffer height which is about 2mm too high. I have re-bogied some which have been repinted in Midand red and Somerset and Dorset blue (not both at once of course) using Airfix or Dapol LMS bogies. They do still need some height adjustment but that is not too difficult with bits of plastic card or a saw. The Bachmann LMS bogies are to a much beefier design. Two of my Midland coaches had the bogies bolted on with the nuts glued to the top of the bolt inside the body. I didn't want to rip off the roofs so I demolished the bogies, chain drilled round the boss in the underframe and rebuilt the pivots with plastic card, Depending on the diameter of the hole in the bogie, I used Plastruct and/or Evergreen tube (3/16 and 1/8 inch will telescope to make the bore smaller) and fastened the bogie with a suitable screw, I found a 2mm brass screw goes up the inside of the 1/8 tube quite nicely.

Edit: I should add that the bogies have been robbed from second hand coaches bought at swapmeets for £5 a go. Anybody want any bogie-less coaches?

Edited by Poor Old Bruce

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 07/02/2013 at 16:15, Gilwell Park said:

post-5219-0-47652900-1360253255_thumb.jpg

Roger

They look like something of LSWR origin!

On 11/03/2013 at 11:40, Gilwell Park said:

Hi Stuart.

I used Roxey Mouldings roofs.  They come oversize and have to be trimmed for length and width. I ordered 4 for 3 coaches just in case. To get the width right I first rebuilt the ends to the correct shape and offered the roof up till it fitted then marked the ends of the roof where the cut was required. I then made a cutting jig with two lengths of Meccano green angle, clamped it tight and cut along the lenght. Surprisingly it worked quite well and I still have my spare roof.  Measure and mark 4 times, cut once.

Roger.

I've just found this!

Why didn't I think of making jigs from Meccano? it's ideal for the job. Thanks!

Incidently, the plural of 'roof' is generally 'roofs'. 'Rooves' is an obsolete form, but not incorrect according to the Oxford English Dictionary.

I happened to read one of the old articles yesterday, and the guy used a very good method for dealing with the roof:

- cut out the clerestory using a hacksaw, and don't make the rough edges smooth;

- turn upside down on a piece of board and clamp/retain it so that it can't move;

- fill the trough-like aperture with car-body repair putty (the two part stuff, he mentions a brand, but it is probably long-forgotten);

- use fibreglass webbing (probably banned now, but some other open-weave material would do) as a matrix and over-fill the aperture so that everything bonds to the inside of the roof;

- let is harden;

- release, invert, and sand it back smooth.

Very practical, I thought.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 3 weeks later...

The 1970s feed-stocks to create pre-grouping SR coaches were:

LSWR - Triang with clerestory removed;

SECR 'birdcage' - Triang with clerestory removed, adding birdcages using plasticard (very fragile, lasted five minutes!);

Both of the above need to be spliced for length if they are to look really plausible.

SECR push-pull - Ratio Midland low-roof suburban composite (IIRC);

LBSCR ex-six-wheeler 'three set' or 'West Brighton 2PP'- Ratio Midland low-roof suburban coaches, with the edges of the roofs trimmed-back a tiny bit.

The ones I did looked pretty messy (actually, very messy), but in the hands of a competent modeller the above produce vehicles that look more than plausibly like the real things. I reckon that you could get away with them even today.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

LBSCR ex-six-wheeler 'three set' or 'West Brighton 2PP'- Ratio Midland low-roof suburban coaches, with the edges of the roofs trimmed-back a tiny bit.

Personally I feel the Ratio Midland sides look more like LSWR panelling with their fairly deep waist panels and slightly squarer (not square, but smaller radius) corners, while the Tri-ang & Ratio GWR sides are more in keeping with the LBSCR proportions and roundness of the panel corners. Agreed the Ratio midland roof looks appropriate though.

You're possibly right Bernard ....... if I was to have another go, which is vanishingly unlikely, I might approach it differently from  c1977.

Then it was a case of youthful enthusiasm combined with a dash of ignorance; now it is a case of eye-strain combined with a highly-developed ability to turn a blind eye to inconvenient facts.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, darthmh said:

I've got a pile of Tri-ang Clerestories ready to hack,  just need to find some plans lol.   

I think I'm down to my last Half a dozen but I've already got on the go pretty much all I'll need so these are mainly spares.

I'm hanging onto them though as you never know.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 02/03/2020 at 13:44, Nearholmer said:

SECR 'birdcage' - Triang with clerestory removed, adding birdcages using plasticard (very fragile, lasted five minutes!);

Both of the above need to be spliced for length if they are to look really plausible.

SECR push-pull - Ratio Midland low-roof suburban composite (IIRC);

The ones I did looked pretty messy (actually, very messy), but in the hands of a competent modeller the above produce vehicles that look more than plausibly like the real things. I reckon that you could get away with them even today.

As it happens I'm experimenting with an old Triang clerestory and doing exactly that for a yet to be built IoW EM Gauge layout based in the early 1940s.

Its currently in process and you can see a before and after pic here.

The bogies are Bachmann bulleid units converted to EM Gauge with Alan Gibson wheels.

The roof is the original with the clerestory hacked off and the void built up with plasticard and filler and then sanded to profile - it's just placed in position at the mo hence it's not sitting down properly.

Hand rails have been carefully shaved/sanded off and will be replaced with wire handrails formed in a more typical SR configuration.

Lots still to do, I still need to scratch build the interior and the under frames (which I'll do from brass rod/section), airbrush the malachite green, add transfers, couplings, vac pipes and generally add the fine details and titivate before weathering it down.

I haven't adjusted the length of the coach by adding compartments, so appreciate that its not the correct length, mind you, research suggests that the IoW had a fair old mix of coaching stock at varying standards and levels of modification, so I reckon that it may blend in with other conversions that I'm going to do with Ratio Midland coaches as part of the overall view.

1D162BDA-703A-4C1E-9D68-77429B59277E_1_201_a.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

One source of stock to chop up which is often overlooked is the Hornby 4 wheel carriages.

Sharing pretty much the same panel effect as the bigger clerestory carriages two to three shut together soon bring you up to the length were all looking for and the other major advantage is there very cheap. I've seen them at car boots and the junk boxes at shows for as little as 50p or a pound each so just a thought.

20200505_112911.jpg

• RMweb Premium

T%hey're in the junk boxes for a reason. That raised beading is like nearly nothing on earth. They are, however, ideal as toys - a great string of them in various colours is a hit on the children's drive-a-train circuit at our club shows. Real old-fashioned Triang give-it-enough-welly-to-come-off-on-the-curves stuff!

• Agree 1