Castle to North Star 4-4-2

Who can resist GWR 40 in Indian Red? I can't.

Since the priority is North Star I decided to sacrifice the unneeded bits of the Castle body. I turned out that pliers and a side cutter worked better than a saw. Started on top and worked my way down.

I would like to extend a big thankyou to The Stationmaster for letting me use the lovely image of North Star in this thread and to Castle for supplying me with drawing.

post-12040-0-60697800-1360001761.jpg

post-12040-0-28320200-1360001820_thumb.jpg

Hi Stefan,

That saw to that pretty quickly didn't it?! Where are you getting the No. 1 boiler and Churchward cab from?

I think I will enjoy this one...

All the best,

Castle

Hi Castle,

I have a spare 28XX body which will donate boiler and cab. It will need new boiler bands and a slight modification to the cab.

It must be hard for you to see me treat a Castle like this, Castle? Hopefully it will be worth it in the end.

I like your delicate handy work Stefan, now I'm waiting for the next stage will you be using a club hammer next to smooth out any wrinkles ? :jester:

I'm keeping 6 drivers on my Star only going back to 1920's with my one, less to mash up.

81C

Yes, I have a delicate touch, magical hands the wife says.

Regards,

Stefan

• RMweb Gold

The way you're going Stefan I can see 'Castle's eyes lighting up and a 'nice chat' taking place between him and his fellow conspirators working on 4079 at Didcot - starting with 'anyone now where we can get a pair of decent outside axleboxes chaps?'

I'm really looking forward to this one Stefan (well I have with all of them of course) as it is going to give you some interesting new challenges - best of luck with it.

Do you ever pause for breath?   I can hardly keep up!  :O

Really looking forward to seeing this one come together.  You will have to do a photo with all your conversions together, re-create a scene that hasn't been seen for 80ish years

The way you're going Stefan I can see 'Castle's eyes lighting up and a 'nice chat' taking place between him and his fellow conspirators working on 4079 at Didcot - starting with 'anyone now where we can get a pair of decent outside axleboxes chaps?'

Hi Mike,

There isn't a thing on earth that would get us cutting into No. 4079 - how very dare you! A wag from the C&W works said we should turn her into a Star the other day - the second word from the team was 'off' and I'm polite so won't say what the first one was.

There is however a spare No. 1 boiler from the 47XX project and frames aren't that expensive in the great scheme of things. I am sure that Didcot would be more than happy to lend you the wheel pattern for the Saint and the No. 2999 crew aren't using their Atlantic sub frames or wheel set right now either. For a small (!) contribution some sort of timeshare deal on rear wheelsets will allow for a variety of configurations on both engines. I'll see your finished loco in about 15 - 20 years time...*

Stefan,

As long as it wasn't a model of No. 4079 I will let you get away with this one - its in a good cause!

All the best,

Castle

* just kidding Mike!

Hi All,

I may or may not have a large framed copy of the photograph of No. 4079 ex-works outside A Shop in 1965 from that site on the wall in my lounge... It is referred to as my picture of 'the other woman'!

All the best,

Castle

Maybe it's me, but why not simply wait for the Hornby 'Star' to come out and start from there?

It would probably be easier (and maybe better), but the Castle cost me £21 and I don't mind the extra work.

Regards,

Stefan

Hi Stefan

I hadn't been on for a couple of nights and you've already cut bits off, I should be thankful it wasn't finished at the rate you knock these conversions out.

I am particularly interested in this one especially when it comes to the rear pair of wheels, as you know I plan to kit bash an Atlantic of my own later so will be paying close attention. At least I won't upset Castle with mine :no: .

Right I shall sit back and wait for more updates.

Jim

No wonder Alan Gibson continues to go from strength to strength; I think you alone are keeping them in business!

Please for give my ignorance of loco classes, Stefan, but whatever it is, it's got your marks on it already so bound to be a winner.

Good luck,

Jonte

Archived