Saint class locomotive

JohnBS

Julia,

Yes, the tender (and Saint loco) will be available from Shapeways as soon as the final modifications have been made to make fitting to chassis easier. They will be available to 2mm FS (1:152) or to N-gauge (1:148) and the tender will probably be available with the coal space piece in place or without, allowing for a tender-mounted motor.

An etched chassis - very interesting . . . . PM if you want to discuss further.

I intend to fit the motor as shown in the rendering on post #82, with a nice meaty flywheel. That's today's project.

John

PS Jerry has just called in to check progress and sends his best wishes.

Hi all,

So, on with the show . . . .

Here is the worm assembly bolted to one of the side frames. The PCB sweated to the worm assembly and the masking tape which is stretched into the counterunk holes in the chassis serve to insulate the assembly from the frames. In theory, this shouldn't be a problem but I recall spending a pretty thankless day some years ago trying to sort out an intermittent dead short problem which onlty occurred when the loco and tender were all hooked up and ready to go. Yes, for some reason the worm assembly was live to one frame and the tender-mounted motor to the other and the shorting was via the cardan shaft, whenever it touched both sockets at the same time..

post-18048-0-92292000-1366841287_thumb.jpg

Wheels in their slots. This right hand side view shows the oiling holes in the worm bearings.

post-18048-0-61172400-1366841319_thumb.jpg

Now with the keeper plate fixed - not easily visible because of the coupling rod position.

post-18048-0-39142400-1366841362_thumb.jpg

Next, the loco and tender.

John

• RMweb Gold

I popped in to see John this morning and can confirm that the build looks even better in the flesh. This is an excellent thread, I'm learning all sorts of new tricks and techniques. Its particularly interesting as GW locos with outside cylinders throw up all sorts of issues that I wouldn't normally come across.

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

If I were building this, I'd be so tempted to get a set of spoof "Simon Templar" nameplates made.

Like Jerry, I'm finding this a very instructive thread as I've got an outside cylindered 0-6-0 loco & tender chassis that I want build, to motorise a Del Prado "Bourbonnais".

Weren't those Mike Bryant (and the 2mm finescale equivalents) wheels nice looking?

Mark

Mark,

Nice one, but I think it will end up by being a Court, unfortunately, as it is from that batch.

What the heck is a Del Prado "Bourbonnais" (note to self - Google it).

Yes, the Mike Bryant wheels were very nice, great pity they were got hold of by someone who then appeared to go all retentive on them.

John

Hi all,

Now putting A with B

The loco and tender chassis linked by the draw bar

post-18048-0-85297300-1366927112_thumb.jpg

Now with the motor temporarily in place and the dumb-bell shaped wire cardan shaft in the foreground.

The rear extension of the motor shaft will be ground off before final fitting.

post-18048-0-65805600-1366927144_thumb.jpg

Cardan shaft and N-Brass bogie in place - right hand side view.

Incidentally, the motor will have to be turned upside down before final fixing; at the moment the loco runs backwards!

post-18048-0-63441400-1366927168_thumb.jpg

Left hand side view, The drive socket on the motor is a temporary version, just a slotted bit of plastic tube pushed on to the shaft and a brass tube outer sleeve. When I get the lathe in operation, I will be turning a flywheel which will have an integral socket for the cardan shaft.

post-18048-0-66212600-1366927192_thumb.jpg

The next step is to fit the superstructure to the chassis.

John

Hi all,

We now get to the point of fettling the chassis and superstructure.

The underside of the tender, showing a notch for the frames and draw bar at the front, a shallow notch for a Kadee/Microtrain coupling atb the rear and a couple of notches in the central transverse bulkhead for motor feed wires.

Also visible is the locating box for the vacuum tank which fits beneath the frames

post-18048-0-40497800-1367011978_thumb.jpg

The underside of the loco, showing the open firebox area, an irregular clearance of part of the boiler underside to accommodate the worm assembly and a notch in the rear for the frames and draw bar. Also visible are holes to take the tops of the slide-bar support C-hangers and holes/grooves inside the cylinders for sleeves for the piston rods.

post-18048-0-09988200-1367012009_thumb.jpg

The tender with motor and chassis

post-18048-0-81537400-1367012041_thumb.jpg

The loco and tender

post-18048-0-17971600-1367012065_thumb.jpg

Next, the motion (the beginning of the fiddly bits)

John

• RMweb Gold

John I must say I for one am grateful for you taking the trouble to post all this. It is probably more photos than would fit in an article. I have returned to 2mm modelling after some years and having a number of N gauge ones to convert to 2mm so it is really quite similar to creating a chassis to fit your 3D printed bodies. I hadn't thought of having a Saint but if the bodies will be available to others I shall be tempted (did many Saints get to run on Branches probably down to Kingswear, don't know about any others). I can remember a Saint hauled train doing about 90 between Oxford and Reading

Don

Don,

Thanks for the comments. They obviously were quite leggy locos so I don't know how many would have appeared in South Devon -perhaps 'Castle' will come to our rescue.

However, one will be running through Totnes in due course, regardless of reality.

There are rumours of possible chassis etches for the tender and perhaps the loco.

John

• RMweb Gold

Now if you had asked me about 3 years back about what ran through Totnes my good friend Frank Heath would have known. Born in station road Totnes and lived there all his life. Before the halls became so numerous I suspect they were fairly common but in later years the halls would have been that bit better on the banks.

Don

Definitely seen in the flatter parts of the South Devon main line so unless they changed locos at Newton then they should be OK for Totnes...

http://mikemorant.smugmug.com/Trains-Railways-British-Isles/GWR-and-BRW/GWR-4-6-0s/23526392_gzZnb3#!i=1908079193&k=6c4hdZh

http://mikemorant.smugmug.com/Trains-Railways-British-Isles/GWR-and-BRW/GWR-4-6-0s/23526392_gzZnb3#!i=2010336373&k=CfqRS3f

Regards, Andy

Hi John -

Thanks for making them available - and after recent comments regarding the availabilty from 'Dapol' on the 2mm VAG I hope you don't mind but I've posted the link there.

Regards

Ian Barefoot

Hi all,

Well, it's been suspiciously quiet on the Saint build front, not that I have been idle, rather that things have not been going as smoothly as I had hoped.

Yes, its the old story of clearance between con rods and front wheel crankpins. I had anticipated the usual tight clearance problems but thought that I could get away with a scale over-cylinder width by slightly offsetting outwards the slide bars and piston rod sleeves, At least, with the Saints, the crosshead isn't directly in front of the crankpin. I would also thin the back of the crosshead to a shim and I would reduce the thickness of the front coupling rod bush to the minimum . However, all this proved unduly optimistic and no matter how hard I tried, it would not fit. Drastic measures were called for. Out came the piercing saw and off came the cylinders.

I also cut away the U-shaped piece of plastic that fitted inside the chassis frames between the cylinders, to allow for a bridging piece between the new cylinders, and filed and filled the irregularuites with putty.

post-18048-0-25143000-1367876641_thumb.jpg

Replacement cylinders were then cobbled up from a Graham Farish set, reduced in overall width (they are offset about 0.5mm more than scale size). They fit in a new notch in the chassis frame, to be retained by a bolt from the frame spacer, through the cylinders to the superstructure.

post-18048-0-89316900-1367876667_thumb.jpg

All this looks very promising so I have amended the production print design of the Saint superstructure to have a separate cylinder block. This has the advantage of allowing the builder to choose to fit the cylinders to the chassis or to the superstructure, as wanted.

More on the fiddly bits soon.

John

Hi all,

Well, it's been suspiciously quiet on the Saint build front, not that I have been idle, rather that things have not been going as smoothly as I had hoped.

Yes, its the old story of clearance between con rods and front wheel crankpins. I had anticipated the usual tight clearance problems but thought that I could get away with a scale over-cylinder width by slightly offsetting outwards the slide bars and piston rod sleeves, At least, with the Saints, the crosshead isn't directly in front of the crankpin. I would also thin the back of the crosshead to a shim and I would reduce the thickness of the front coupling rod bush to the minimum . However, all this proved unduly optimistic and no matter how hard I tried, it would not fit. Drastic measures were called for. Out came the piercing saw and off came the cylinders.

I also cut away the U-shaped piece of plastic that fitted inside the chassis frames between the cylinders, to allow for a bridging piece between the new cylinders, and filed and filled the irregularuites with putty.

attachicon.gif51-Cylinders-1.jpg

Replacement cylinders were then cobbled up from a Graham Farish set, reduced in overall width (they are offset about 0.5mm more than scale size). They fit in a new notch in the chassis frame, to be retained by a bolt from the frame spacer, through the cylinders to the superstructure.

attachicon.gif52-Cylinders-2.jpg

All this looks very promising so I have amended the production print design of the Saint superstructure to have a separate cylinder block. This has the advantage of allowing the builder to choose to fit the cylinders to the chassis or to the superstructure, as wanted.

More on the fiddly bits soon.

John

Are you going to make the cylinders available separately from Shapeways? A GWR standard 2-cylinder block has a whole bunch of uses.

Chris

Chris,

I don't see why not, except the shipping cost for a single printing might be a very significant component of the total cost. Any similar interest for a 3500 gal Churcward tender superstructure and/or a GWR standard backhead? It might be worth considering combining them. BTW everything should be available in 2mm FS and, in due course, N-gauge.

I am also pondering on producing a No 2 and a No 4 boiler, with firebox and (probably) the most common smokebox and saddle combination. Also someone has expressed an interest in producing an etched 2mm FS chassis for the tender. Let me have your thoughts and watch this space.

John

Chris,

I don't see why not, except the shipping cost for a single printing might be a very significant component of the total cost. Any similar interest for a 3500 gal Churcward tender superstructure and/or a GWR standard backhead? It might be worth considering combining them. BTW everything should be available in 2mm FS and, in due course, N-gauge.

I am also pondering on producing a No 2 and a No 4 boiler, with firebox and (probably) the most common smokebox and saddle combination. Also someone has expressed an interest in producing an etched 2mm FS chassis for the tender. Let me have your thoughts and watch this space.

John

I could imagine combining the cylinders and backhead. Combined with the tender I am not so sure. Not everything ran with the Churchward 3500 tender - the 61XX certainly did not! I would probably order multiple sets of the cylinders, and so postage would be less of an issue.

Boilers would be most welcome. Also just how similar are Star and Saint superstructures? A set of cylinders for 4 cylinder 4-6-0s would be handy.

The etched tender chassis does not interest me as I already have one (it comes with the Peco Collett loco chassis at present) and I am already working on various etched sideframes to go with it to match Churchward 3500, intermediate and Collett tenders. I also have an almost done Hall chassis which would adapt very easily to the Saint.

How feasible is it to print the tender axleboxes separately?

Chris

I am also pondering on producing a No 2 and a No 4 boiler, with firebox and (probably) the most common smokebox and saddle combination.

Any chance of a No 7 boiler?

No prizes for guessing that I am wondering if I can cobble together an N gauge 4700 (or 3). :D

Chris,

I hope to go for a Star as the next project, and of course, a lot will be common to the Saint. The main difference will be the cylinders, so it is perhaps fortuitous that they are now separate. Perhaps it would be worth trying to co-ordinate the prihted cylinder design with etches for slide bars, crossheads and C-hangers. Any thoughts?

BTW, is the 2251 tender chassis etch available separately? Also is/will the Hall chassis etch be available and would it be worth adding Saint bits, such as steps, reversing rod, etc?

John

Archived