Saint class locomotive

JohnBS

Horsetan,

I think that I noted earlier that I cheated - 13mm diameter wheels and the first two axles at 14.5mm centres - but it is still a close shave, with turned down flanges.

John

Hi all,

The Saint has gone quiet for a few days. It's that boring time when you have to start putting all the separately made components and assemblies together. It's fettling time but with nothing much to photograph.

To date, I've just about provide enough clearance in the tender for the flywheel to rotate without inappropriate noises. Also the tender superstructure has now got a fixing to the body. I've made two more dumbbell-shaped cardan shafts - eventually one will be the right length - and sorted out one of the intermittent shorts through the drive chain (there will be more!). Coupling rods are already done and are fine but con rods remain. Then the home straight - lamp irons, handrails etc.

Why is it that whatever you do while making a loco leads it to run more poorly - why should fitting the smokebox door hinges or the tender coupling give the loco a wooden leg?

BTW, I have pretty well finished the artwork for chassis and details etches for the Saint and 3500 gall tender.

John

• 4 months later...

John has been unwell recently but I'm sure will be back at the bench and reporting sometime in the New year,

Jerry

Jerry, so sorry the hear that John is unwell, please pass on my best wishes. I hope that he makes a speedy and full recovery.

• 2 weeks later...

x2

Jerry, Julia,

Yes, things have been very trying over the last four months - bouts of therapy and trials of different medication which have left me pretty constantly exhausted - so no recent modelling.. Let's hope for some improvement soon - I've got so much more to get done

Thanks for your interest and best wishes for 2014,

John

• 2 weeks later...

Jerry, Julia,

Yes, things have been very trying over the last four months - bouts of therapy and trials of different medication which have left me pretty constantly exhausted - so no recent modelling.. Let's hope for some improvement soon - I've got so much more to get done

Thanks for your interest and best wishes for 2014,

John

John,

Sorry you've been ill---hope you recover soon.

On another point, would there be any possibility of a "Lady" series Saint---the ones with the straight frames: I've always had a soft spot for them and would like a few. No hurries, even if you decide to do it.

Mark

John,

Sorry you've been ill---hope you recover soon.

On another point, would there be any possibility of a "Lady" series Saint---the ones with the straight frames: I've always had a soft spot for them and would like a few. No hurries, even if you decide to do it.

Mark

Mark,

The 3D model of the straight frame version is pretty nearly complete and really awaits my final checking. I have also completed the artwork for the related etches, including the straight frame's cab steps; now awaiting a trial etch.

Health permitting, these will get done as soon as possible - I personally rather fancy a red frame version. Watch this space.

Best wishes,

John

• 9 months later...

Hi everybody,

I am beginning to return to some degree of normality. Still in a care home (where the care is excellent) and I have managed to restore 10kg of weight from a skeletal 50kg when I arrived here back at the beginning of May. I now go home two or three times a week for the day and expect to be thrown out of here soon. I have started doing a bit of modelling (more buildings for the insatiable Totnes) but nothing on the Saint.

However, progress has been made. John Greenwood has breathed on the drive mechanism and it now runs sweetly, having lost the attributes of a coffee grinder, and Jerry Clifford has added some of the incomplete detail. Very many thanks to both of you. I will post an updated photo or video as soon as available.

Thank you all for your kind thoughts,

Best wishes,

Kind regards,

John

• 6 months later...

John kindly sent me some test prints of the Saint for me to design an etched chassis to go with them. I have to say they are seriously good. The 3500 gallon tender in particular has very thin side plates and is just so much better than the Dapol version of the same. I would certainly recommend anyone wanting such a tender to save up the money for John's version.

Oh, and it comes in both 1:152 and 1:148 scale versions.

Chris

• 2 years later...

Hi folks,

At the risk of being accused of bumping this topic, I have at last managed to do some serious works on the Saint. After John Greenwood's and Jerry Clifford's efforts, I now have a running loco and am working on the outstanding details. Some pix of progress to date will follow shortly.

Best wishes to you all,

John

Hi all,

As promised, a couple of photos of the Saint in "photographic grey" (well, grey primer actually). The superstructures are just balanced on the chassis, therefore everything is a bit wonky.

Boiler fittings are turned phosphor bronze (chimney) and brass (SV casing and whistles). Reversing rod and smokebox hinges are of nickel silver strip. Handrails are from 0.3mm nickel silver rod with twisted fuse wire knobs and (tender rear) 2mm SA turned knobs. Lamp brackets are from flattened phosphor bronze wire. The smokebox darts (not visible) are from a beheaded track pin with soldered fuse wire handles.

post-18048-0-57648200-1518802191_thumb.jpeg

post-18048-0-76522800-1518802216_thumb.jpeg

More to follow soon.

Best wishes,

John

Hello again,

Well, I managed to get the base colours on to the Saint so now ready for a final tidy-up, lining and finishing. The photo below has still only got the parts roughly balanced on the chassis.post-18048-0-86716500-1519146613_thumb.jpeg

More soon.

Best wishes,

John

Hi everyone,

The Saint is now pretty well finished - Clevedon Court, No 2937 (plates from BH Enterprises).

post-18048-0-95340800-1519506185_thumb.jpeg

Lining is with Fox Transfers, covered with a wash of green body colour to reduce the contrast and then with a coat of satin varnish.

post-18048-0-69741300-1519506238_thumb.jpeg

I managed to get a piece of lead flashing in the tender, topped by crushed coal and stuck down with dilute PVA adhesive. The additional weight helps current collection and avoids the tender bouncing around too much. The total weight of the engine and tender is a reasonably respectable 81g.

post-18048-0-37628600-1519506267_thumb.jpeg

The loco crew is from Modelu - lovely quality but somewhat lost at this scale.

post-18048-0-28937600-1519506301_thumb.jpeg

All that is left to do now is a bit of weathering and then running in.

Best wishes,

John

A lovely model John. One small point the crew seems to be standing a bit high is that due to the drive shaft?

Don

Don,

I am not sure and will check later. The drive shaft is a wire dumbbell which runs above the footplate and through the fire door so it isn't a factor.

I am sure that the loco and tender foot plates are at the correct height, as is the cab. The (very visible) fireman is resting on his shovel while standing on the fall plate (10 thou plasticard fixed to the tender) so he is a bit high because of that. Also, the loco is to 2mm/f scale while the Modelu figures are to 1:148 (N) so will scale a bit large.

Let's say that he is a tall fireman!

Best wishes,

John

I don’t suppose a 4mm print is possible? With the short taper boiler just to be really cheeky...

Drduncan

Drduncan,

A 4mm scale version would be possible but, bearing in mind that the details were optimised for 2mm scale, it would appear a bit crude. Also, as I understand it, Shapeways charge by the volume of material used and a 4mm version would have eight times the volume so could be pretty expensive.

Best wishes,

John

Archived